BMW and M Power Owners

New M5 looks truly grim IMO. I’ve seen a few of the new 5’s on the road and they are a complete aesthetic disaster.

Poor rear leg room (shockingly so for such a big car), not a great interior with cut down material quality in places. Huge on the road, heavy. The whole thing looks like a bloated plastic mess.

It looks a bit like a new 530e I had while my car was having some warranty work done, it was an M Sport Pro (so has the black grille with the lights around the edge, which I don't dislike).

This one was adorned with about £10k of stick on M performance carbon fibre bits, and expensive wheels.

Despite the challenging looks at some angles, it rides very nicely and is more hushed than my current G30 LCI and the interior is quite good. However, the entire car is less tactile, you are never going to convince me that pressing a touchscreen is better for adjusting the climate control... They've also removed the adaptive cruise settings from the steering wheel, so now you have to go into options on the touchscreen to adjust the distance, which makes no sense.

It all feels more modern, but it also feels a bit naff in places. The specs are a bit of a mess too, you can't have full electric memory seats at all without spending £5k on the Comfort Plus pack, which is just crazy.

I certainly wouldn't fancy spending £65k~ for a decent spec 520i... I'd consider one in future though.

c9Akg3p.jpeg

It looks a bit like a new 530e I had while my car was having some warranty work done, it was an M Sport Pro (so has the black grille with the lights around the edge, which I don't dislike).

This one was adorned with about £10k of stick on M performance carbon fibre bits, and expensive wheels.

Despite the challenging looks at some angles, it rides very nicely and is more hushed than my current G30 LCI and the interior is quite good. However, the entire car is less tactile, you are never going to convince me that pressing a touchscreen is better for adjusting the climate control... They've also removed the adaptive cruise settings from the steering wheel, so now you have to go into options on the touchscreen to adjust the distance, which makes no sense.

It all feels more modern, but it also feels a bit naff in places. The specs are a bit of a mess too, you can't have full electric memory seats at all without spending £5k on the Comfort Plus pack, which is just crazy.

I certainly wouldn't fancy spending £65k~ for a decent spec 520i... I'd consider one in future though.

c9Akg3p.jpeg
Guess I'm in the minority of liking that, the front corner reminds me a bit of Kryten though....dont know why, just all the angles.

you can't have full electric memory seats at all without spending £5k on the Comfort Plus pack, which is just crazy.

Absolutely ridiculous how they are wrapping this options up like this. I understand it’s something to do with legislation or certification, but it’s not reasonable to have to pay 5k to get electric memory seats on a car that’s already so expensive and apparently premium.

That looks like you'd have expected a 5 series to look once it had 5 previous owners, 200,000 miles and was just £3k on eBay.

But no, that's now how a brand new 4 cylinder 5 series is supplied :(

Looking for some advice. I had a 2013 320i that is showing a drivetrain fault but I've scanned the car for codes myself and it returns codes relating to the high pressure fuel pump.

I took the car to two local garages but they stated although they can scan the car, their equipment doesn't tell them enough info compared to dealers. I can't really afford to keep taking it to garages and turning back as the car start up is getting progressively worse and I don't want to cause anymore damage.

My local dealer (Park Royal, London) want £270ph just for diagnostics. How likely is it that they go over this hour? Never been to a main dealer before. I don't want to end up in a situation where they spend like 4 hours trying to find the issue and spend over a grand for diagnostics only on a 10 year old car.

Last edited:
That depends. I could easily cover 10k miles peak commuting in 2 months.
Fair point, but this car with the late service had covered nowhere near that amount:

Car registered - 02/19
Running in service - 18/06/19, 1304 miles
Engine oil / microfilter service - 11/12/20, 4700 miles (late by 2 months)
Next service - 12/11/21, 6247 miles

It covered 3396 miles between the running in service and late service over 18 months. Assuming the car was averaging 283 miles a month and it didn't smash through all 3396 in those 2 months, it covered hardly anything. Even the next service 11 months later, the car only covered 1547 miles. Sounds like it was either a weekend toy and therefore garaged, or maybe the owner started working from home during and post-covid, hence the few miles stuck on.

OK but it is mileage or age based so that's a different problem altogether.
It's showing as mileage based from the pictures I took:

Bm4sLe2.jpeg

ZO1wDQZ.jpeg

Full history for reference:

Car registered - 02/19
Running in service - 18/06/19, 1304 miles
Engine oil / microfilter service - 11/12/20, 4700 miles (late by 2 months)
Service - 12/11/21, 6247 miles
User car service - 09/09/22, 12388 miles
Brake fluid service - 02/10/23, 18946 miles
Used car service - 21/06/24, 21563 miles

I need to check some of those services to see what was done.

Last edited:
Guess I'm in the minority of liking that, the front corner reminds me a bit of Kryten though....dont know why, just all the angles.

To be fair, the car as a whole isn't too bad, it can look good and bad at different angles. If I was ordering one I'd go for M Sport Pro, Tanzanite Blue, Smoke white interior - it all works quite well. Unfortunately the Pro option, and Technology Plus and Comfort Plus packs add up to over £10k.

Edit :: 'nearly new' prices are a bit more reasonable, example - https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/202406110644327 - the wood trim here is a no cost option, but everyone will stick to aluminium (same applies to the white interior). :(

Absolutely ridiculous how they are wrapping this options up like this. I understand it’s something to do with legislation or certification, but it’s not reasonable to have to pay 5k to get electric memory seats on a car that’s already so expensive and apparently premium.

It's very strange, the option does include other good stuff at least, but it's a huge cost.

One other strange thing - M Sport Pro is now an option attached to the engine and car model itself, rather than a normal pack. Sun Protection Glass isn't included in any of the packs, so you have to individually spec it (£470) - which means loads of cars will have it missing...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom