BMW and M Power Owners

Mine is tail end of 2019 so maybe that's why it sticks. It feels like more of a nuisance than a safety feature.
With our 2020 M135 when you disabled the lane assist it it stuck, however with our 2023 X1 you can disable it and it only stays off under 40mph, my 2022 Focus I've disabled it permanently as well.

To all the "Well use your indicators then" people, the 1st time I nearly fell foul of this was on a long straight section of B road in the Peak District when I over took a tractor (indicate to pull out) and when going to pull back over to the correct side of the road the lane assist kept forcing me over head first towards a bus (who here indicates after this manoeuvre?), when it kicks in unexpectedly is definitely a 'brown' moment.

I would like some OCUK BMW opinions. I'm at the point where I thought I knew what I wanted but I'm now at a loss. I have a F10 LCI 530D I've had it for around 6 years.​

Hopefully my opinion can be of value to you as I went through exactly this process around 18 months ago now. At the time I also had a 2015 530d which I'd owned since 2016. It was a fantastic car and in the entire time I had it required only routine servicing and, like you, new brakes all round. Nothing else went wrong, it was perfectly reliable and a great car, so replacing it was always going to be difficult. I considered mostly the same options as you did. Rather than quote each part of your post, I'll just go through each car you've mentioned with my thoughts.

8 Series:

Initially I really did want one of these. I think they look great and the interior is fantastic. I still think this and really the only reason I didn't in the end was that I like to run my cars under warranty and the BMW warranty on the 8 Series was so expensive I'd never be able to justify it, so would have had to run the car without one which wasn't really what I was after. They are also huge cars - which is fine, but puts many off. I still think an 840d is probably one of the best all round cars you can buy, the engine is brilliant. I share your view of the 840i - the engine in these is really very good indeed but alongside the diesel in a large, heavy car primarily used for long trips I've found that it's not the experience you'd neccesarily expect. If I'd have bought an 8 Series, I'd have had another diesel.

5 Series:

The obvious choice. I like the 5 Series a lot and the next generation car was a small improvement on my car in every way. But I wanted something with iDrive 7 which meant a facelift car or one of the very rare last 6 months of the original and they discontinued the 540i saloon at the facelift, so it would have meant a 530d again, as this was the most powerful diesel they offered on UK cars. Which, again, was fine, but I felt like it was time for something a bit different, especially as they'd made a few cost saving corner cuts on the newer car which I think as a direct replacement as a newer, better example of the same thing would have annoyed me after my previous 5 Series. At least with something different you can put these downsides down to the fact it's a different car, so wouldn't neccesarily be as nice as my previous 5 Series.

3 Series:

The current 3 Series, until they facelifted it, is one of the best looking saloon cars BMW have made in my view. They look fantastic and as soon as I saw lots of people complaining it was now so big it was the size of an E39 5 Series, I knew this was an obvious contender. I'd driven several and really liked the way they drove - small enough to be a bit more fun than the 5 Series, but large enough to still be the sort of boring comfortable saloon car I like so much. Sensible warranty and servicing costs and a nice range of options meant the M Performance versions stood out as an obvious consideration, especially after reading reviews where people expected it to be a BMW M3 and then complained it wasn't. Excellent - a 'Performance' 3 Series that wasn't an M3 seemed ideal as I didn't and don't want a BMW M3 and everything that goes with owning one of those. The M340i has almost 50bhp more than the same engine in the 840i and the 540i and this extra power solved much of the 'this is a bit like the diesel only it uses more fuel' issue I had with those. It even made a good noise.

So, I bought a 2021 M340i.

It is not as comfortable as a 5 Series. The ride quality is quite firm, in Comfort mode I find it absolutely fine after I got used to it, but it's not a 5 Series. It's also very refined and nice to drive on the Motorway at 70mph, but again, is not a 5 Series. There are definitive compromises in this area but it's still easily good enough to be an excellent long distance car - the biggest surprise in this area is how exceptionally fuel efficient it is. Over the last 18 months I have averaged exactly 1.5 miles per gallon less than I did with my 530d. On a long Motorway trip, it will reliably return in excess of 45. It's incredible, I've no idea how or why its so efficient but it really does feel like a high performance car with the running costs of a low performance one. I doubt it'd cost me any less to run a 320i. I've not driven an M340d and I understand it is even more fuel efficient, but when the petrol one is this good I'm happy to give up that extra economy for the extra fun of having probably one of the nicest 6 cylinder petrol engines BMW have ever made. Whether it works purely for somebody who likes to only drive up and down Motorways in comfort is another question - for me, its my car for all types of driving.

A note on other things you've mentioned, such as the X5.

During 2021 and into 2022 BMW had some quite significant supply disruptions due to COVID. This is why you are finding X5 without the stereo upgrade and not because owners were deliberately selecting that. Certain items of specification were unavailable across most of the range (You'll find M340i with missing wireless chargers, passenger seat width adjustment and a small number with touch screen issues) or were deliberately held back for M Performance cars only (the upgraded stereo). So, most (every? never seen one that didn't, but always check) M340i, X5 M50i or whatever should have the stereo and the head up display if they have the technology pack but the regular cars may not.

I appreciate that I've not really answered your question here - but I don't think anyone can. It's entirely personal choice which of these excellent cars would work best for you.

Last edited:
Thanks for time taken to reply. I think you did the same last time before I bought the 530D.

Sounds like it might be worth me trying the 3 series. The new 5 series looks ghastly. And like you the ones in between didn’t seem to be that much different to what I had.

Morning All, I have a “Emergency call system not available” message on my 530D G30, assuming this is a breakdown cover SOS thing, anyone had this before?

Last edited:
Thanks for time taken to reply. I think you did the same last time before I bought the 530D.

Sounds like it might be worth me trying the 3 series. The new 5 series looks ghastly. And like you the ones in between didn’t seem to be that much different to what I had.

I am absolutely loving my 320d.

It’s such a league above the other cars in its class in every way.

It’s so dialled in and a fantastic daily. Really isn’t anything to complain about.

This will sound weird but my favourite thing about the car is the steering. The turn in is so good. Great chassis.

Morning All, I have a “Emergency call system not available” message on my 530D G30, assuming this is a breakdown cover SOS thing, anyone had this before?

This can happen when the battery in the system goes flat. It's not exactly the easiest job ever to replace it as its in the roof somewhere I think?

Just a quick one, would you expect BMW to have checked and topped up the coolant on a service? My car was serviced at BMW on 27/07 but upon checking my fluid levels today my coolant tank is near enough empty. I'm not sure if this is something they should have checked?

Just a quick one, would you expect BMW to have checked and topped up the coolant on a service? My car was serviced at BMW on 27/07 but upon checking my fluid levels today my coolant tank is near enough empty. I'm not sure if this is something they should have checked?
Its definitely something they should have checked...

PQ2K9HK.jpeg

Its definitely something they should have checked...

PQ2K9HK.jpeg
It's ticked as "Green" on the printout they gave me so I'd assumed it had been checked. They've said they wouldn't have checked it unless there was a warning light but that doesn't sit right with me.

I'm popping in on my way home from work to procure some more coolant so I'll have a chat with them in person. Not really the service I'd expect from a main dealer.

yeah it's the SOS battery near the shark-fin antenna.
had to change mine a few months ago
BMW quoted £450 for the job
went to an indy that did it for £160
the OEM battery is £60 if you want to DIY

I would like some OCUK BMW opinions.​

I would echo most of what Fox said, but my favourite BMW is the 7 Series (just bought my third - a G11 LCI 740d). Had a 2020 840i Coupe previously too. I have considered an M340i and they are brilliant, but with traffic as it is you can't often enjoy all the power, so I would rather have a nicer place to sit while wafting about. I think there's an assumption the 7 Series feels like a big boat to drive, but that simply isn't the case. You can hustle them along really nicely and they always feel composed.

The two main negatives are the extended warranty cost, approx £1300 a year with the 250 excess, and obviously the size could be problematic for some people. That said, it's not really that much bigger than the G30 5 Series. The G11 LCI grille isn't to everyone's taste but IRL I really like it.

I like the fact they are fairly unusual, great road presence, have air suspension, leather everywhere, and the fit and finish is superior to the 8 Series - which feels more like a 3 Series with better leather - not a bad thing but it's a much more expensive car. The diesel models return great economy and have no shortage of power, I would have been happy with a 730d but went for the 740d xDrive because well, why not. The critical option is the Technology Pack for HUD and Driving Assistant Pro, but everything else you'd need is standard. I also consider the ivory leather a must, brings the interior up a few extra notches.

I assume it's a diesel? The EGR system is probably leaking. They are supposed to inspect the EGR every time they see the car, unless the full recall has been done. There's a huge backlog.

Definitely raise it with them ASAP.

I would echo most of what Fox said, but my favourite BMW is the 7 Series (just bought my third - a G11 LCI 740d). Had a 2020 840i Coupe previously too. I have considered an M340i and they are brilliant, but with traffic as it is you can't often enjoy all the power, so I would rather have a nicer place to sit while wafting about. I think there's an assumption the 7 Series feels like a big boat to drive, but that simply isn't the case. You can hustle them along really nicely and they always feel composed.

The two main negatives are the extended warranty cost, approx £1300 a year with the 250 excess, and obviously the size could be problematic for some people. That said, it's not really that much bigger than the G30 5 Series. The G11 LCI grille isn't to everyone's taste but IRL I really like it.

I like the fact they are fairly unusual, great road presence, have air suspension, leather everywhere, and the fit and finish is superior to the 8 Series - which feels more like a 3 Series with better leather - not a bad thing but it's a much more expensive car. The diesel models return great economy and have no shortage of power, I would have been happy with a 730d but went for the 740d xDrive because well, why not. The critical option is the Technology Pack for HUD and Driving Assistant Pro, but everything else you'd need is standard. I also consider the ivory leather a must, brings the interior up a few extra notches.
Interesting, didnt know the 7 series had air suspension.

My local dealer has a 730d in used stock. Much more friendly on the budget too! (Not ivory leather tho) https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/202408022459097?quoteref=5bb86253-1f06-480f-a099-b4f6fed19b37

Have asked if i can have a look at it.

Last edited:
Interesting, didnt know the 7 series had air suspension.

My local dealer has a 730d in used stock. Much more friendly on the budget too! (Not ivory leather tho) https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/202408022459097?quoteref=5bb86253-1f06-480f-a099-b4f6fed19b37

Have asked if i can have a look at it.

That looks a decent spec, Donington Grey is a nice colour too, quite rare. That one is a 730d with the mild hybrid system, so you'll get excellent fuel economy out of it, and it's the slightly newer uprated diesel with 286 bhp (ish), previously 265.

Remember that options aside, you get as standard - 360 cameras, Harman Kardon, Ceramic Controls, Soft-Close doors, heated rear seats and proper 4 zone climate, the standard headlights are full adaptive too, so do the matrix beam stuff.

Driving Assistant Professional is great, you just click the bottom middle button on the left of the steering wheel and it takes over.

I assume it's a diesel? The EGR system is probably leaking. They are supposed to inspect the EGR every time they see the car, unless the full recall has been done. There's a huge backlog.

Definitely raise it with them ASAP.
I took it up with them and they advised me if I can't prove the level was as low as it is now when it was serviced on 27/07 then they don't believe me basically. It's a 2011 520d F11, as far as I know there hasn't been a recall on my car.

I've purchased some coolant and will fill it up tomorrow and keep an eye on it. I'll definitely be staying away from this dealer going forward.

Last edited:
Delete if not allowed, but can anyone recommend any mobile mechanics for BMWs in the Gloucestershire area.

My dad was replacing my clutch on my e36 328i, the clutch etc is all out and removed, but he's not that well anymore and i'd love to get the car back on the road.

It's just a case of putting it all back together with a brand new Valeo SMF clutch conversion, any help is greatly appreciated. It is at my dads friends house (Indoor garage) - Also have some different rear springs that need fitting, as it sits too low.

PFA :D

Last edited:
can anyone recommend any mobile mechanics for BMWs in the Gloucestershire area
I've used Steve Smith a number of times over the years, no complaints apart from he can sometimes be a bit slow at replying and needs a few prods.

Back
Top Bottom