BMW and M Power Owners

I'm sure the coolant system on these is all plastic and therefore prone to cracking and leaking all your coolant out and cooking the engine if not identified quickly enough. Check the service history as it might have been done already.

At this age suspension is likely to be tired too.

The previous owner was BMW nut and kept it well, he told me the front fan had been changed recently so I am hoping that included the rest of the coolant system. I am hoping to have a call with him later on to get a rough idea of what has and hasn't been done.

Suspension work sounds costly, mind you so does everything on a BMW.

Last edited:
he told me the front fan had been chnaged recentky so I am hoping that included the rest of the coolant system

I don't think there is any reason at all to expect the entire cooling system has been changed just because someone changed the auxiliary fan. You don't need to change the rest of the system to do that.

Ah right, I am not the best when it comes to car mechanics, my old man is though. Replacing a full coolant system sounds like a nightmare job. What is involved in that exactly?

Coolant issues were common on e36's, thermostat housings cracking etc, I thought it was rectified for the e46s from memory.... I never had issues with my 330D.

Last edited:
These are normally the Qs you ask BEFORE buying the car, Dez. lol :D
Hahaha trust me I know but the car is absolutely minted and its definitely been well looked after. I think I will be keeping it as a summer car as I love the look of the thing. Had a black one in manual back in 2010 and always wanted one again. This popped up and was local and got it for 5k.

Reactions: mjt
Definitely not rectified on the E46. If it hasn't been done it will need doing at some point.

The lower control arms are also a weak point, well the bushes anyway. Not too costly to replace.

Last edited:
Definitely not rectified on the E46. If it hasn't been done it will need doing at some point.

The lower control arms are also a weak point, well the bushes anyway. Not too costly to replace.
Ah fair, I haven't owned one for many years!

I remember the rear subframes also sucked, but think that was worse on the M3, but definitely worth checking..

Not replaced under warranty either I don't believe. And the job at the dealer is well Overpriced.
As expected it appears it’s not under warranty and Vines are saying they need the car in at a cost of £150 per hour to investigate the issue and decide if its under warranty, trouble is the dealership is 2 hours drive in good traffic from my house, so! Can I speak to the car parts at my local BMW dealer and quote the VIN/Reg and get the replacement battery and attempt it myself?

So I pickled up the new to me g20 330i, it’s wonderful.

Tech, vision, pro and comfort packs… it has all I wanted in a cruiser. The ideal m340i was just too much more, 5-7k more just for xdrive and b58.

Initial thoughts are wow, HUD is surprisingly useful (thought it would be bs), audio is wonderful, the m140 was always on… so nice to be in something that feels sporty when wanted, and more calm when desired.

It really doesn’t feel its size. Surprisingly nimble feeling. I know the cliche of not knowing how fast you are going, but the m140 sounded noisy which was a hint, but the 330i seems much more capable of doing it quietly without fuss or effort.

Pics tomorrow!

So I pickled up the new to me g20 330i, it’s wonderful.

Tech, vision, pro and comfort packs… it has all I wanted in a cruiser. The ideal m340i was just too much more, 5-7k more just for xdrive and b58.

Initial thoughts are wow, HUD is surprisingly useful (thought it would be bs), audio is wonderful, the m140 was always on… so nice to be in something that feels sporty when wanted, and more calm when desired.

It really doesn’t feel its size. Surprisingly nimble feeling. I know the cliche of not knowing how fast you are going, but the m140 sounded noisy which was a hint, but the 330i seems much more capable of doing it quietly without fuss or effort.

Pics tomorrow!
330i is surprisingly quick! Very calm and relaxed but you can hustle it down a B road if needed. Can do around 50 mpg on the motorway in eco pro as well, which I doubt the B58 can get close to.

Why isn't it? I routinely get over 45 out of mine on long trips and the overall average is currently on 36. It's very fuel efficient for what it is.
That's not what I'm saying.
My point is that if you're priority is MPG, then it isn't the car for you - go for a hybrid or 330e.

Seems such a shame to get a B58 and only focus on economy.

Back
Top Bottom