BMW and M Power Owners

Not sure why the focus on silicone free? The bigger reason to use the BMW screen wash is it's that not using it frequently ends up in the washer pump filter clogging with a congealed mix of cheap screen wash + bacterial growth (due to reservoir location near heat in most BMW/Mini engine bays) etc.
The BMW screen wash is a strong alcohol base as I understand that prevents any growth, but doesn't mix well with other screen wash.

BMW state that it’s the silicone which can cause build up and blocks the pump system :)

We'll have to agree to disagree, having unblocked my own Mini's washer pump filter having run it on cheap supermarket screen wash (no silicone) and a family member also had the same (and again just ran it on cheap screen wash)

I don’t think you should use cheap ones, as they will sometimes use silicone-derived ingredients to reduce the freezing temperature.

But you can use high quality cheaper alternatives, such as Prestone, which don’t commit you to £20+ for 5L :-)

I dunno how quick it's supposed to foul up if you use the 'wrong' fluid but I've had no ill effects using the blue Prestone stuff from Costco *touch wood* :p

Edit - damn, looks like it was on offer over the weekend, £5.38 for 5L of concentrate, could have stocked up :cry:

Last edited:
The issue probably occurs if you service at dealers, and they top up using the BMW stuff during service / MOT, when you have filled it with another brand...

Used car prices seem to be increasing again based on what I saw at online auction yesterday.
Most of the stuff was going well over CAP Clean book price for anything Grade 1 or 2.

I had my eye on an X3 M40i 2023 (72) with around £5K of optional extras, CAP Clean on it was £39.6K. I set a max bid of £43.5K and got washed away in a Tsunami of bids when it sold for £47.2K excluding fees.
Even the auctioneer was startled by it and said "Holey Moley" at the sale price of £7.6K above book. If the buyer was a dealer they got to be advertising that for around £53K I am guessing?

Anyone actively looking at the moment at dealer stock might want to get their skates on before dealers start ramping prices up on current stock?
Bulletin from BCA is saying August was very strong and prices expected to remain strong well into mid October and possibly beyond.

Last edited:
Used car prices seem to be increasing again based on what I saw at online auction yesterday.
Most of the stuff was going well over CAP Clean book price for anything Grade 1 or 2.

I had my eye on an X3 M40i 2023 (72) with around £5K of optional extras, CAP Clean on it was £39.6K. I set a max bid of £43.5K and got washed away in a Tsunami of bids when it sold for £47.2K excluding fees.
Even the auctioneer was startled by it and said "Holey Moley" at the sale price of £7.6K above book. If the buyer was a dealer they got to be advertising that for around £53K I am guessing?

Anyone actively looking at the moment at dealer stock might want to get their skates on before dealers start ramping prices up on current stock?
Bulletin from BCA is saying August was very strong and prices expected to remain strong well into mid October and possibly beyond.

X1 30e is 60k new so no surprise really. Crazy prices for cars.

Last edited:
My i8 has an issue with the drivers window. Goes down fine but on the up, it keeps going up a tiny bit then back down

It goes after 10 mashes :)

Feels like it thinks there is something obstructive.

Any resets to try?

I tried putting it down and holding for 30 but no joy. Just wanted to check before I go dealer

X1 30e is 60k new so no surprise really. Crazy prices for cars.
Had a look at the new X3 for my mum, but the X1 prices are insane let alone the new X3. It's also ugly, and having discounted the Macan for no Android Auto, looks like it will be a Lexus NX!
Previous X3 is very dated inside as well.

Does anyone know how to interpret BMW/MINI service history?
I've been emailed the following regarding a Mini i'm interested in. It's approved used so I assume it has been serviced to schedule but i'm struggling to work out what all this actually means:

service-history1.png

service-history2.png

Also as this looks like a screenshot from a dealer system, is there anything else worth asking for that they can provide?

So my understanding of that is the ones with a tick in are service items carried out at that visit and the ones without are the status of each of those service items on the date shown when the key was read.

Where there are duplicate dates the first looks like the key read showing when everything was due and the second is what was then carried out.

So in December 2019 you have a read out showing it was due oil service and then a second readout with a tick showing it had an oil service on that date.

It isn't very user friendly as it's not a customer system and it's designed for the dealership to understand rather than you. This particular car looks to have had the biggest service done last year, so hopefully it'll be a few years before you need that one doing again - the next service looks to be due December 25 or in 13,000 miles and is just an oil and microfilter service and brake fluid change I think?

Also - the delivery check looks to have been carried out in June 2018 but at the October 2018 key reading the first service was due in December 2019. This suggests that the car was built in December 2017.

Is the car a June 2018 registration? If this car is a Mini hatch then note that there was a facelift in January 2018 and this car therefore probably won't be one if it was built in December 2017. Do you have a link to the car?

Last edited:
Thanks Fox - that makes sense. So that top right icon which is a car on a pedestal that says next due 12/2027 (4 years after previous) or 30447miles - any idea what that is?

It's a 18 plate Clubman, sorry I don't have the link to hand but I think the facelift for the Clubman was 2020 where they got Union Jack lights etc so this is pre facelift. That aside, is a 6 month gap between manufacture & registration fairly typical, or something to watch out for (sitting in a field unregistered for 6 months?)

Thanks Fox - that makes sense. So that top right icon which is a car on a pedestal that says next due 12/2027 (4 years after previous) or 30447miles - any idea what that is?

It's a 18 plate Clubman, sorry I don't have the link to hand but I think the facelift for the Clubman was 2020 where they got Union Jack lights etc so this is pre facelift. That aside, is a 6 month gap between manufacture & registration fairly typical, or something to watch out for (sitting in a field unregistered for 6 months?)

One Clubman I looked at was a 2017 registration, but build date of June 2015 or something

When I spoke to Mini about it, they said it was likely a showroom car.

Clubman had 2 facelifts. 2018 and 2020. Around then...

Also some parts are carried over pre facelift which makes it interesting.

Last edited:

This is the Vehicle Check service, where they... check loads of stuff. It's typically done every 4 years or about 35-40k miles and usually at the same time as the major service.

It's not that typical but it's not particularly unusual either. It probably means it wasn't a private customer factory order originally - we ordered a Mini that was built in December 2017 and it was registered in January 2018. So, perhaps it was in stock at a dealer, or in the showroom or something?

It would not concern me, I just mentioned it because if this was a 3 door hatch you might have been assuming it was a facelift car being June 2018 when in reality it was built just before.

Last edited:
Good evening all!

So I replaced my G30 530D “Emergency call” battery in the rear seat roof panel under the fin, but the alert doesn’t seem to have come off? Do I need to get BMW to cancel the alert or it could be a duff new OEM battery I replaced it with?

Any thoughts anyone could offer would be appreciated

So I replaced my G30 530D “Emergency call” battery in the rear seat roof panel under the fin, but the alert doesn’t seem to have come off? Do I need to get BMW to cancel the alert or it could be a duff new OEM battery I replaced it with?
needs coding

Failed MOT on my E92m3 on rear parking brakes. Guess they need a clean up and a bit of grease as I never use it as it’s DCT (Occasionally I pull it at slow speed to clean up ).

Back
Top Bottom