BMW and M Power Owners

Am I imagining things, or was there a period where CCC iDrive had the CIC controller?

Perhaps I'm just getting old, but that looks like the old CCC nav layout..
It's an early '09 E60 LCI.

Not sure I like the brown nappa either, but that's another matter :p

It could be CIC, was available on E60 from October 2008 in Europe

Ok, a technical question about bluetooth / phones and my 2011 X6.

I have a nexus 5 - pairs fine over bluetooth for both handsfree and audio streaming. Syncs phonebook / names etc.

When it broke the other day however, I was using an older Sony Xperia Z. So still another Android phone. It pairs the same way over bluetooth, however it displayed on the car's screen the contact's picture when either making or receiving a call. What, how, why, does my newer Nexus 5 NOT do this?

What do I need to do here to make it work the same way lol?

Got this currently being built at my mates garage, Project E30 M5 V8 conversion :)

snip

I have always been a die hard Ford and Cosworth fan, still am, but I do have a new found love for BMW.

Love the 6. Am continually tempted by a 635 CSi (non M) but alas it would need to be a daily as I can only justify 1 car and I need it for work.

How far along is the project? Engine's in by the looks of things - got all the ancillaries sorted yet?

Am I imagining things, or was there a period where CCC iDrive had the CIC controller?

bmqKchF.jpg

Perhaps I'm just getting old, but that looks like the old CCC nav layout..
It's an early '09 E60 LCI.

Not sure I like the brown nappa either, but that's another matter :p

It's easy to swap the controller around. All you need is the controller and the new dash insert to fit round it (probably more expensive than the controller itself).

From wikipedia..
CCC - update 2[edit]
This is a minor update debuted in September 2008 to iDrive Professional equipped cars that did not get the new CIC based system. These cars get the new iDrive controller that is also used on cars with CIC. The actual iDrive computer (CCC) remains the same. This update is available on the following cars;

5-Series E60/E61 manufactured in September 2008 to August 2009
6-Series E63/E64 manufactured in September 2008 to August 2009

But also...

Debuted in September 2008 with F01/F02 7-Series. CIC stands for Car Information Computer and is manufactured by Becker, utilizing the QNX operating system. It is available on the following cars as an option;
5-Series E60/E61 manufactured from March 2009 (E60/61 manufactured from October 2008 in Europe)

So it seems that for 11 months you could get both CCC and CIC on the E60 :confused:

Last edited:
Ok, a technical question about bluetooth / phones and my 2011 X6.

I have a nexus 5 - pairs fine over bluetooth for both handsfree and audio streaming. Syncs phonebook / names etc.

When it broke the other day however, I was using an older Sony Xperia Z. So still another Android phone. It pairs the same way over bluetooth, however it displayed on the car's screen the contact's picture when either making or receiving a call. What, how, why, does my newer Nexus 5 NOT do this?

What do I need to do here to make it work the same way lol?
Assuming you gave the same permissions to the car (eg full access to address book) and you have pictures in your google directory, it's because the bluetooth stack isn't black or white in features but a sea of grey. Bluetooth has profiles (like "headset", "speaker") and within these profiles you have features (eg full address book support or just name/number). Crucially, not all devices support all features within all profiles. What's more, Nexus devices tend not to support bluetooth very well (due to a driver problem in the majority). On the android side, Sony and HTC devices typically support bluetooth well, Samsung is average. Lots of things are in play here, the address book type (there are 2 types on phones), the bluetooth version, the maker of the bluetooth radio chip in the phone and the car. Not pretty.

Have you asked on PH as well? Might reach a wider audience.

Fed up of the diesel? :p

I would guess the refinement of the engine in a BMW, especially an F10 should easily surpass that of the Cadillac. I wouldn't describe mine as annoying and gruff when I accelerate hard, and that's a Ford ;) it has quite a meaty sound to it in fact.

I dunno really. I generally dislike diesels but my 530d is the least diesely diesel I’ve ever driven. When I take it on a long run it’s very quick, it’s surprisingly frugal (45-50mpg on long trips) and is a generally pleasing drive. On longer trips I find it a genuinely good engine with almost no downsides – the noise it makes under acceleration is really quite cool and muscular. It’s way better than a 2.0d.

The flipside though is that my commute to and from work, like many peoples, is a cold start low speed schlep through traffic. This does not cast the 530d in a good light. Until it’s thoroughly warmed up it’s not particularly refined and noticeably quite diesely. It isn’t the effortlessly silent wafter it is when it’s nice and warm and flying down an Autobahn and one of the downsides of that single large turbocharger is the oft-irritating dead zone before the turbo kicks in which sometimes impedes smooth progress. You can also feel the vibes from the engine in the cabin which irrationally drives me up the wall.

And although the majority of my miles are longer trips (Went to Germany last month for example) my day to day usage is like most people commuting to and from work. I’m not concerned with DPF issues as it gets enough long runs but I do find myself missing the silently, totally smooth and effortless refinement of a petrol engine.

Usefully it seems that the 530d is one of the more desirable engine choices in an F10 and the petrol alternatives seem to be more or less despised on the used market. I have watched numerous 528i’s sit on the AUC site for months and months This has raised the possibility of perhaps moving into a petrol F10 for minimal outlay (at a cost of more depreciation further down the line, but given that this is a long term purchase I don’t particularly care about that). I could also take the opportunity to pick an M Sport which would save me the cost of retrofitting the bits to mine, though raises separate concerns about ruining the ride with pointless Sport suspension. Might as well give up if I add ‘M Sport Suspension Delete’ to the essential options list. I’m picky enough already by insisting it’s either Titanium Silver or Space Grey.

There are 3 engine options that interest me – the 2 litre turbo in the MY12 onwards 528i, the 3 litre N53 Six in the 528i and 530i and the awesome N55 in the 535i.

I originally set out to buy a 535i and after about 4 months of finding precisely zero, bought a 530d instead. It seems nothing has really changed in this regard and the 535i remains rarer than hens teeth. When they do pop up they are invariably really rather expensive – often irrationally so. I have seen numerous ones pop up on a 61 plate at main dealers for almost 30 grand. Broadspeed.com will sell you a brand new one for 35 grand. Madness.

It’s a different story for both versions of the 528i and also the bizarrely reintroduced and obviously unloved 530i so this is where my focus is. The 530i came back onto the market at the same time as the 528i changed from being a 6 cylinder to a turbocharged 4 cylinder. The specs are as follows:

528i 3.0: 0-60 6.7, 258bhp, 310nm
530i 3.0 0-60 6.6, 272bhp, 315nm
528i 2.0: 0-60 6.2, 245bhp, 350nm
530d 3.0 0-60 6.2, 245bhp, 540nm

As we can see on paper (I hate 0-60 but its all the manufacturers ever bother to share with us) the 6 cylinder petrol engines are noticeably down on performance against the 530d and the turbocharged 528i. I actually managed to find a 530i at a dealer the other day and took it for a test drive .

Thoughts? Smooth and silent with the familiar Straight Six soundtrack. Sitting in traffic it serenely wafted along. Awesome. Lovely. Perfect. But once on the open road it just didn’t feel as potent as the 530d – the 530d really does feel genuinely very quick at times (Obviously not to those of you that drive M power cars though I’m hardly a stranger to genuinely quick cars having driven the F10 M5 around Munich) and if I’m honest I really rather like that. I actually ended up fairly disappointed by the performance on offer from the car which seems strange given it has more than 270bhp.

However, in mitigation the car was 3 up (Myself, the GF and the salesman) and did not have Sports Auto Transmission. Also, it’s 272bhp are delivered at 6100pm so you do need to rev the car quite hard to get that. Fair enough – but is that the power delivery style you want in a 1700kg 5 metre long automatic barge?

So my thoughts have turned to the 4 cylinder engine which on paper at least would appear to offer similar performance to the 530d but with the correct fuel.

But..

a) It’s a 4 cylinder
b) It’s a 4 cylinder
c) It has 4 cylinders
d) There are 4 cylinders

I need to drive one but that’s easier said than done. I’ve read many reviews, some of which say it’s awesome others say it’s slow and you should buy a 535i. But these are all American reviews of brand new examples where a 535i only costs $4k more and where every other F10 is a 535i so there is no compelling reason not to buy one. In the UK you’ll probably see more Aston Martin’s than you will 535i’s. The constant comparisons to the 535i are unhelpful and probably clouding my judgement.

Just how ‘slow’ can a 2 litre turbo that hits 60 in 6.2 seconds be anyway!? The engine itself seems amazing on paper – it even hauls the 3 Series to 60 in under 6 seconds. That’s surely got to be in the ballpark of ‘properly fast’? An E39 540i is no quicker?!

The actual answer to this question is a 328i M Sport of which there are many available, quite new examples, at great prices with good kit levels. But I just can’t love that interior, the F10 interior is IMHO absolutely wonderful and a huge plus point, the 3 Series interior is far worse off for the choice they made to make it a big 1 Series not a small 5 Series.

TBH the most annoying thing is how hard it is to get enough experience with each variant to decide which one you want to buy. The cars in the right spec are so rare that you can never just pop down to your local dealer, borrow one of each for the day and buy it if you like it. It is almost impossible to get a decent level of exposure to each model so you have to just guess and hope it’ll be right for you an take the plunge on that basis. Even the drive in the 530i was a quick spin around the block really – perhaps with 2 hours on the road to really try the car I’d have decided that on balance perhaps it *is* the right choice? But generally the salesmen sense whether you are going to buy ‘on the day’ and the level of service you receive then dictates that.

It is honestly easier to do pre purchase research on a video game than it is a car..

Perhaps it would be easier if I wasn’t so fussy and wanted something that dealers have loads of :p

My experience of the N20 engine only extends to my ownership of a F21 125i, but I never really considered it to be unsmooth, even compared to the N55 in my new car. The N55 is the first engine I've ever owned that had more than 4 cylinders, so I never really knew any better. The 125i was quite "tappy" at idle due to the direct injection. The N55 is a lot quieter in this respect. I had a manual gearbox and it was certainly brisk when pushed, and that was with only 218BHP.

You're a lot fussier than I am with regards to NVH, so I'm keen to hear what you think of it if you manage to get a test drive of a 528i.

The more I read about it the more I realise the only option is to try and get a decent drive of one. Quite how I'm going to manage that I've absolutely no idea.

There are just 14 in any spec on the BMW website of which the nearest is 200 miles away in London and currently all are LCI models.

I don't mind huge trips to buy cars but a 400 mile round trip for a potential 10 minute spin around the block in a car thats massively out of my budget is rather something else ;p

Hilariously one dealer has an 18 month old one for £35995.

Broadspeed will get you a brand new one of the same specification for that money. Just how do they price these cars?!

[TW]Fox;27544993 said:
(at a cost of more depreciation further down the line, but given that this is a long term purchase I don’t particularly care about that)

Keep the 530d until you can afford a new 535i then :D

Failing that I envisage the same thread in about six months time.

[TW]Fox;27545249 said:
The more I read about it the more I realise the only option is to try and get a decent drive of one. Quite how I'm going to manage that I've absolutely no idea.

There are just 14 in any spec on the BMW website of which the nearest is 200 miles away in London and currently all are LCI models.

I don't mind huge trips to buy cars but a 400 mile round trip for a potential 10 minute spin around the block in a car thats massively out of my budget is rather something else ;p

Hilariously one dealer has an 18 month old one for £35995.

Broadspeed will get you a brand new one of the same specification for that money. Just how do they price these cars?!

You could make a nice weekend out of it (assuming you enjoy a weekend in London)? Overnight stay, nice meal, show/museum/whatever? It's a good way to justify looking at a car 200 miles away :)

Good read, Fox. I definitely think that the only way you're going to (hopefully) get over the 4 pot prejudice (not saying you're wrong!!!) is by driving one, either by making the 200 mile trek or hoping one will come up more locally - at this point it doesn't matter whether it has cloth seats, white paint, and black wheels (or even if it's a brand new one.. does it? You're the spec expert - I originally posted a link to a nice AUC 2010 528i before realising it's not a 2.0T :D ) - all you need to do is determine whether you like the engine or not. Then, after affirming this, the hunt can begin.

Re the 530i's potency - the midrange torque delivery will be significantly less than you're used to, and so a quick drive will highlight this and stick in your mind. Try the 530i on a cold winter morning's commute, though... :p

I dare say the 528 2.0 will definitely have a more noticeable mid-range shove than the 530i at the expense of some top-end. I know that's the case with my car versus the ST220's engine - it accelerates a lot harder at motorway speeds.

Or get a 535 - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...earlynew,new/keywords/535i/usedcars?logcode=p that's lovely. You know you want Carbon Black really.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...earlynew,new/keywords/535i/usedcars?logcode=p that's cheaper

Last edited:
I know what you mean Fox about some of the straight sixes not feeling as potent as the 530d. I feel exactly the same in my 330i (albeit that is an e46 so not in the same power range as the newer x30i engine), but with the shove of the turbo kicking in and the extra fuel economy from the dirty lump, I just can't help but feel it's really not worth it.

So much so, I'm seriously considering chopping in the 330i for another V8 Range Rover (P38). At least then I'll see something for my extra fuel costs (my 530d is obviously bigger, more comfortable, faster, nicer and more economical than the 330i, so what is the advantage in having it? Other than a little bit of noise).

I have said it before, and I agree with myself more and more, I simply don't see the need for the x30i engine nowadays. It's simply not for me. I generally do get V8's though.

Back
Top Bottom