BMW M2 competition, what do you think?

Soldato
OP
Suppose that's true. I've seen average M2 LCi mpgs reported at 20-25 mpg, with some saying 30 is possible on a motorway run.
I thought the M3/4 current guise are similar to that anyway.
Luckily total daily commute is 4 miles :D

OcUK Staff
Suppose that's true. I've seen average M2 LCi mpgs reported at 20-25 mpg, with some saying 30 is possible on a motorway run.
I thought the M3/4 current guise are similar to that anyway.
Luckily total daily commute is 4 miles :D

That seems very poor from a modern turbocharged car to say 30 might be possible on a motorway run.

My Mustang 5.0 V8 and my SVR 5.0 SC V8 will both achieve around 35mpg on a motorway run around illegal speed limits and are using a much bigger displacement engine and well over 500 horsepower. Of course their secret is gearing, but I'd have thought an M2 DCT would achieve closer to 40 on a motorway run than closer to 30. Unless your motorway runs are at 100mph. :D

Caporegime
That seems very poor from a modern turbocharged car to say 30 might be possible on a motorway run.

My Mustang 5.0 V8 and my SVR 5.0 SC V8 will both achieve around 35mpg on a motorway run around illegal speed limits and are using a much bigger displacement engine and well over 500 horsepower. Of course their secret is gearing, but I'd have thought an M2 DCT would achieve closer to 40 on a motorway run than closer to 30. Unless your motorway runs are at 100mph. :D

When I test drove the m2 and m4 my figures were definitely better than that.

Soldato
My average for the F80 M3 over ~7k miles so far is just under 30mpg. It comfortably exceeds 35mpg on a longer journey with mostly motorway and on the motorway itself at 70mph it's getting just north of 40mpg instantaneous.

My best door to door average in my old M135i LCI was 44.4mpg (that was Leeds to Milton Keynes). My all-time average from the M135i was 34.3mpg, over 72k miles.

InQ

InQ

Associate
Test drove an M2 was very nice.
Dimensionally a good sized car easy to place. Feels planted and heavier than my R (it IS heavier) more precision in the steering rack and heavier steering but not overly so.
Easily you could Daily one, people that think it is harsh are soft. Tyre noise is up 15-20 % subjectivily over my car.

Power is only 100hp more, felt more like that (and more) and youre at 70-80mph in the blink of an eye. Sounded great.
DCT did a good job in general but it's the second time now on a test drive that a dual clutch auto has left me cold. I would spec with manual.
Harmon kardon is just poor compared to my dynaudio speaker package. Bloated one note bass and a midrange tuned seemingly to female radio type voices/singing. That centre speaker is crap also.

A local dealer did some maths for me on a new build, they had a new car coming but not the spec I wanted.
Mine would be:
6MT
Sunroof
Heated seats and steering wheel
Harmon kardon (absolutely crap IMO) but might have better amps for future upgrades
M-seat belt stitching
Icon LED upgrade
Tinted windows
Folding mirrors

£8k down monthlies £416 for 48 months

This competiton model is really messing with my head.
I much prefer the small muffler that's invisible in the n55 car, the M3/4 one is massive bloat. Not a fan of the mono-kidney grill or widened intake area at the front. Fan of the sports seats though the LCI ones look bad are comfortable at least.

This quote sounds expensive compared to what has been quoted recently elsewhere.
Mine is less than that with DCT, HK, Electric Seats, heated seats, reverse cam, sun protection, folding mirrors. Think it was full list at £51-52k.
Mine was pre reg 18 plate, 10 miles on the clock, £4750 down and £399 per month, this is over 3 years. GFV is £29.5k.

Soldato
OP
That's just it, pre-reg so they want rid of it and much more room to do a deal.
I currently think I can get to £450/month 'maybe' slightly lower with above spec but £5000 down (instead of £8000 which made me twitchy AF)
GFV only £23,950 thereabouts though.

As for MPG I just don't know what to think. My test drive was in town then two pulls to 70mpg then traffic jam on way back.

InQ

InQ

Associate
That's just it, pre-reg so they want rid of it and much more room to do a deal.
I currently think I can get to £450/month 'maybe' slightly lower with above spec but £5000 down (instead of £8000 which made me twitchy AF)
GFV only £23,950 thereabouts though.

As for MPG I just don't know what to think. My test drive was in town then two pulls to 70mpg then traffic jam on way back.

Ok still seems pricey, I’d be aiming for £400 a month with that figure down.
Mpg I’m on about 23 average although car is only 600 miles old, most of my trips are short and back roads.
My M135i averaged about 25 over 3 years on similar roads.

Soldato
OP
I just don't know what to expect from negotiating I don't really like it and would rather cars are fix priced or have a sale on them, you want it at that price you buy it.

That mpg is good for a new car is that mixed driving?

Last edited:

InQ

InQ

Associate
I just don't know what to expect from negotiating I don't really like it and would rather cars are fox proced or have a sale on them, you want it at that price you buy it.

That mpg is good for a new car is that mixed driving?

Well mixed to a degree but no long mway runs or anything like that.

Man of Honour
If you are that hung up on deposit size, monthly payments, mpg, etc etc, would you not be better off with an M240i? No car is enjoyable if it it becomes a financial millstone.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Dropped by the BMW garage yesterday to see what they had as an M3 is a possible replacement for my current car.

Had a nose around an M2 and liked it more than I was expecting, so much so I’m going to have to look into them a bit further now!

Felt nice enough inside, was worried it’d feel/look cheap but didn’t seem too bad.

Permabanned
Dropped by the BMW garage yesterday to see what they had as an M3 is a possible replacement for my current car.

Had a nose around an M2 and liked it more than I was expecting, so much so I’m going to have to look into them a bit further now!

Felt nice enough inside, was worried it’d feel/look cheap but didn’t seem too bad.
The M3/4 seats are a lot better though.

Having them, M4 engine and upgraded brakes are going to make the competition a really special car.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Yup and that would be my issue in getting the ‘current’ M2 I think, I’d be wanting the Competition with the seats, brakes and proper M engine :)

I think what’s more likely to happen is an M3 for a few years then get a couple of year old M2 Comp, not sure I fancy the depreciation on a brand new one ;)

Soldato
OP
One experienced forum chap (he put photos up of his previous seats) suggested current LCI seats to provide overall more support than the M4 seats the M2 competition is getting.
However I have also read the M3/4 original seat (without the holes in) is one of the best seats in ANY car from a few reviews online.

To be clear I can afford this car, by a margin for it not to be a burden but a consideration I must take into account to be responsible, as we all must I suppose.

If the best I can do in my time here is an M car ownership prospect I can die a happy chap:)
On that note dealers are now getting pricing confirmed. Start your wallets/engines

Back
Top Bottom