BMW M5 - the Beast is back

Soldato
4.jpg

How is this an ugly car?

Spie, I'm dead jealous, I cannot wait till one of these things is parked on my driveway. Simply stunning.

Associate
Looks fantastic, but I want to see it in the flesh :cool:
They are staggering to drive too. Stupendous acceleration and handling for such a big car.

Not convinced the SMG-III is at it's best yet though, compared to the CSL implementation of SMG-II.
Spie, drop me an email (registration address) if you like - I'll let you take the CSL out for an interesting comparison :)

- Elliot

PS - I wouldn't waste your time with the RR - if it's anything like the E46 you'll only ever get it to work on a RR with an amazing amount of modifications. They're really locked down against this sort of thing.

Last edited:
Associate
Serj said:
Seriously nice car. How does the gearbox work? I can't see a clutch but it has a normal manual stick as far as i can tell. Is it just a case of changing gear like normal but with an automatic clutch?

It's a sequential manual gearbox, with a hydraulically operating clutch. In the past, the gearbox's were regular manual 6-speed units (in H pattern), with hydraulic clutch attachments and paddles/push-pull stick, but due to this car having 7 gears a new gearbox was designed specifically for the job (putting a 7-speed H pattern in would take too much space).

There is no pedal to operate the clutch. The gear is selected using either the stick or the paddles behind the steering wheel. All you do is push/pull the stick (or flick a paddle) and the gear is changed - no need to lift off the power.

There is an 'automatic' mode where is selects the gears for you, but in my experience (Ok I didn't try it in the M5) it's not very good when compared to a real automatic gearbox.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
These are absolutely stunningly gorgeous cars in my opinion, the pictures do nothing to show it off, they look absolutely awesome in "the metal".

Superb car, absolutely bloomin fantastic infact :)

Soldato
adwhitworth said:
It's an automatic but it also has paddle shift on the steering column. :)
I believe it's a manual with an automated gear change rather than a proper auto, i.e. no torque convertor.

I'm sure I read somewhere that BMW are developing their own twin-clutch gearbox along the same lines as VAG's DSG, now that would be awesome in a car like that!

Associate
Vertigo1 said:
I believe it's a manual with an automated gear change rather than a proper auto, i.e. no torque convertor.

I'm sure I read somewhere that BMW are developing their own twin-clutch gearbox along the same lines as VAG's DSG, now that would be awesome in a car like that!

See my post above :)

Soldato
Very nice :D In my view these cars are the perfect combination of refinement and blistering performance. About the only thing I don't like is the alloys, otherwise its stunning :)

Man of Honour
adwhitworth said:
It's an automatic but it also has paddle shift on the steering column. :)

Technically it's a manual box with an automatically engaged clutch. It has a standard clutch not a torque convertor :) They sound similar but the driving experience is quite different

Awesome looking car mate :D

Soldato
SkodaMan said:
PS - I wouldn't waste your time with the RR - if it's anything like the E46 you'll only ever get it to work on a RR with an amazing amount of modifications. They're really locked down against this sort of thing.

why's this? what kind of mods?

lovely car spie.

had someone in a new M5 'testing' it against mine last weekend. needless to stay he stuck to me like glue for the short period our routes overlapped. :)

Associate
TomO said:
why's this? what kind of mods?

Well on the E46 it knows you're on a RR if the front wheels aren't moving. It's all tied into the ABS sensors and the ECU. So it just limits the revs to 6500rpm. There is a RR 'function' in the ECU, but it's tricky to enable and even then runs the car in a special emissions programme, rather than the normal programme. It's a real pain.
I don't know, but I bet the E60 M5 is the same.
I suppose a four wheel RR would be ok though.

Back
Top Bottom