BoE confirms what we knew already: migration driving down wages

Soldato
It's the plural of Tesco, sort of like people is the plural of person.
Maybe if people could earn £15 an hour burger flipping in Burger Kings
Maybe if people could earn £15 an hour microwaving in Subways
Maybe if people could earn £15 an hour shelf-stacking in Poundlands

Well, I suppose a plural works, but it's a strange way of saying it

Ahem Tesco's

That would be "belonging to Tesco", which wouldn't be right

Caporegime
OP
That's never going to happen, also why make free movement of people the single EU issue, remember it means you can up sticks and move to another country to live/work if you want to, it's not just a one way street

This is my country though, why can't I speak out against an obvious injustice in my country? The reality is that the free movement of people is always going to screw over British working people more than anyone else in Europe because more citizens of EU states speak English as a foreign language than any other language.

Soldato
Maybe if people could earn £15 an hour burger flipping in Burger Kings
Maybe if people could earn £15 an hour microwaving in Subways
Maybe if people could earn £15 an hour shelf-stacking in Poundlands

Well, I suppose a plural works, but it's a strange way of saying it

That would be "belonging to Tesco", which wouldn't be right
Exactly. I find it odd how people pluralise Tesco, but not Asda, Aldi or most of the other places.

Soldato
This is my country though, why can't I speak out against an obvious injustice in my country? The reality is that the free movement of people is always going to screw over British working people more than anyone else in Europe because more citizens of EU states speak English as a foreign language than any other language.

Why do you feel there is more of a connection with someone just because of the geographical location of their birth?

Soldato
I recall a TV show a couple of years ago about immigration etc, and it showed a Polish guy, who was a more wealthy than most, came to the UK, started up his own carpentry business and had about 8 staff working for him. Fair play to him for making a successful business in our country, that is something I actually admire.

All of his staff were Polish and he open said on TV that he would not employ UK people due to being lazy, untrustworthy and unskilled.

This is a massive generalisation against UK people, there are many different types of UK citizens, just shows the narrowmindedness of immigrants as well.

Imagine if a UK business owner stated on TV all black people are thugs who go around stabbing people and mugging people, there would be an uproar.

A classic case of British snobbery. As Brits we will do anything we can to elevate ourselves above overs and one way is to let narrow minded foreigners rant their bigoted views and then have a British person come on and talk about all the positive aspects of immigration just to show how enlightened we apparently are.

Soldato

Define "working people"?

Soldato
Why doesn't it lend it any credibility? I'd have thought anything that didn't acknowledge the reality of a situation would be completely without credibility myself.

Just because the world is organised by arbitrarily drawn lines on a map doesn't mean feeling a connection to people based on said lines because they are within the same said lines as you are, makes any sense.

Soldato
Companies will purposely place job adverts in Polish, online, knowing full well they are paying less for the type of work involved.

English speaking Brits have zero chance of getting these particular jobs.

This isn't the Poles fault. It's the business owners.

Just glad this has been officially highlighted now. The reason this wasn't being challenged by Government was because they were hoping there would be a boom in small business creation but it hasn't happened.

Explains why Cameron and co. want to re-negotiate our EU position.

Then the problem is the companies, not the EU. A less drastic solution would be to make sure all job vacancies are registered with the local job centre.

Back
Top Bottom