Botched execution in the US

Associate
Very interesting point of view. Have to agree.

I can't imagine that you're right. Do you think that a rapist does a quick calculation of what the going punishment is, and evaluates whether it's worth it before doing the deed? There's no indication (quite the opposite) that the existence of the death penalty in some US states has a downward effect on violent crime rates.

Yeah I guess you're right. One can hope that the agony of his death as opposed to drifting peacefully away though may stick in the back of the mind of some. Even one would be a bonus!

Associate
Mixed opinions. I don't feel like I can personally be sure on my stance unless - god forbid - I have been a victim or related to the victim. Imagine the 11 month baby mentioned was your daughter. Would your opinion change? Even if you say not, it's easy to say so when it hasn't actually happened to you.

Associate
Some terribly archaic views in this thread, as usual.

Reasons why they're archaic would be interesting to hear. I'm not pro capital punishment as mentioned earlier but that doesn't mean I view the opinions of those that are as archaic. There are modern (or timeless I suppose) reasons to approve of it.

Plus, I can't imagine having that view if I was the family of the second criminals victim.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am in favour of the death penalty, but ideally we'd do it quickly and cleanly. Hanging is a traditional method of execution that seems suitable to me.

DirtyChin said:

There is nothing archaic about it.

Soldato
It's always good to have a thread on capital punishment, you get to learn what people are really like.

I am in favour of the death penalty, but ideally we'd do it quickly and cleanly. Hanging is a traditional method of execution that seems suitable to me.

There is nothing archaic about it.

I'm curious, why are you (and others, I guess) in favour of it?

Man of Honour

I would not execute anyone, I believe a whole life behind bars to be suitable punishment, the mental torture of a life depraved of all liberty and no hope for respite, I am sure some would be praying for death a long time before it comes.

The above is the only way to ensure no innocent person is fully lost to injustice, there is always chance of appeal from incarceration alas we cannot offer resurrection so this is the best we can do.

Soldato

Have to agree. The Death Penalty serves no purpose, it is not a deterrent the crime figures prove that.

We have a penal system that does little towards rehabilitation so we continue to point fingers or judge these criminals.

State sanctioned murder is never the answer

Soldato
Mixed opinions. I don't feel like I can personally be sure on my stance unless - god forbid - I have been a victim or related to the victim. Imagine the 11 month baby mentioned was your daughter. Would your opinion change? Even if you say not, it's easy to say so when it hasn't actually happened to you.
What a silly thing to say.

I have no problem admitting that in that situation I wouldn't be able to be objective or rational due to mind wrecking emotional turmoil - but that doesn't mean that when thinking rationally I'd want that kind of decision in the hands of the public.

I would not execute anyone, I believe a whole life behind bars to be suitable punishment, the mental torture of a life depraved of all liberty and no hope for respite, I am sure some would be praying for death a long time before it comes.

The above is the only way to ensure no innocent person is fully lost to injustice, there is always chance of appeal from incarceration alas we cannot offer resurrection so this is the best we can do.
Indeed, my thoughts exactly.

Man of Honour
Support death penalty in open and shut cases where there isn't a slither of doubt.

It's the times where 'new evidence' comes to light 10 years later, that really causes the issue. Obviously you can't give someone their life back if they are dead.

Our world is growing in population, massive budgets are spent keeping people in prison cells indefinitely. Better to just remove this dead weight from society.

Man of Honour
What a silly thing to say.

I have no problem admitting that in that situation I wouldn't be able to be objective or rational due to mind wrecking emotional turmoil - but that doesn't mean that when thinking rationally I'd want that kind of decision in the hands of the public.

Indeed, my thoughts exactly.

I have been in a situation where I had a choice, I made the right choice and the individual in question got a life term. If I had not made that choice to go to court I would have followed my instincts and gone with retribution.

Soldato
Lethal injection seems to have been made a very complicated process. Yet when you take an animal to the vet to be put down it takes a matter of seconds for them to pass on peacefully.

Why can't they use a larger dosage of this?

Of course, if it was a vicious dog that killed or maimed a child and is subsequently 'destroyed', then it would not matter if it was 'put to sleep' or if it suffered horribly in the process. In fact if it did suffer horribly, we would say it deserved it. Wouldn't we?
(it should be apparent what mindset this question is aimed towards)

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Lockett was sentenced to death for the 1999 shooting of a 19-year-old woman. Warner was convicted for the 1997 murder and rape of an 11-month-old girl.

Lovely chap.

Back
Top Bottom