Botched execution in the US

Soldato
There are a few reasons why I called views in this thread archaic. I'm referring to those in favour of capital punishment. There are a whole load of reasons why capital punishment is moronic, hypocritical, and an insufficient punishment. Crimes should not be judged based on emotion, and I consider capital punishment a purely emotion driven punishment, and this is archaic, in my opinion.

Soldato
IMO there are far worse was of punishing a child killing rapist than less than hour of pain then death. No sympathy, and I hope he knows of the complications of the previous executuon and can't sleep thinking the same will happen to him in the next couple of weeks.

I'm against capital punishment for the above reason and the possibility of someone innocent being put to death.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm against capital punishment but as above, I struggle to empathise with even a botched execution.

As others have said, I don't agree with the death penalty, but I have absolutely no sympathy for him, nor dislike the fact he may have died painfully.

These statements seem a bit of a conflict to me.

You don't want executions, but don't care that they happen?

Associate
These statements seem a bit of a conflict to me.

You don't want executions, but don't care that they happen?

I don't believe that the death penalty should be used as a punishment. Aside from the fact a mistake could be made and an innocent man could be put to death, I don't believe it is morally the right thing for society to do, and that the loss of liberty for the rest of the murderer's life is adequate punishment.

The death penalty IS in existence though, and I would not shed a tear for a man who shoots a 19 year old girl and watches as his friends bury her alive.

Soldato
They should just put them on an LSD drip for an entire month. After that their entire life would be torture and insanity.

It can't be that hard to kill someone though, surely? What's wrong with an overdose of anaesthetic so you go to sleep and then die? That's what they do to pets I believe.

Soldato
I'm curious, why are you (and others, I guess) in favour of it?

Because I consider it to be a just punishment.

I don't believe there is any value in rehabilitating someone who commits the most heinous of crimes. How can they ever repay society for the rape and murder of an infant?

So the only possible reason to place them in prison is to torture them, which I do not approve of. It is more humane for them to just be hung and more just for society and the victims.

I don't agree with the deterrence angle, although the source posted earlier about how there are less murders in the north east USA is fairly chuckle-worthy. The north east of the USA is the richest region of the country with the lowest ethnic diversity. Of course it has a lower murder rate.

Man of Honour
I cannot say I'm a fan or supporter of the death penalty (I don't believe in an eye for an eye, no matter how emotionally charged one is - I can understand the need and thirst for blood/retribution, but I do not accept it as the right way to do things).

No matter what this person's transgressions having to go through 40 minutes of heart attack before dying is not on.

Soldato
I don't believe there is any value in rehabilitating someone who commits the most heinous of crimes. How can they ever repay society for the rape and murder of an infant?
Rehabilitation isn't about reconciling your debt to society. Plenty of people take more from society than they give, even without killing or raping babies.

It is more humane for them to just be hung....
"hanged" is the word you're looking for.

Back
Top Bottom