Bourbon, Rye and American Whiskey

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a good bourbon or rye to make an old fashioned?

A lot seem to suggest a high proof, so Im thinking something like a Rittenhouse Rye or woodford reserve double oak?

Fancy trying an old fashioned as never tried one before, so it needs to be a decent sipping whisky as well in case I don't like the old fashioned, Ive tired both above before and preferred the Rye on its own.

Soldato
OP
Can anyone recommend a good bourbon or rye to make an old fashioned?

A lot seem to suggest a high proof, so Im thinking something like a Rittenhouse Rye or woodford reserve double oak?

Fancy trying an old fashioned as never tried one before, so it needs to be a decent sipping whisky as well in case I don't like the old fashioned, Ive tired both above before and preferred the Rye on its own.

How high ABV?

Knob Creek is 50% and pretty decent, it's got warmth Tobit but you can drink it straight.

Soldato
I missed the 10yr Eagle rare amazon deal £25 .... was gone, when i looked again this morning ... no rittenhouse deals yet.

Soldato
OP
I tired another one to add to the list - Whiskey Thief Bourbon.

Odd branding no doubt, the drink itself its actually really smooth, definitely worth trying if you get round to it.

Soldato
OP
Mellow Corn:

Anything but mellow, kicks in at 50% abv, to be fair the flavour isn't bad, it isn't cheap tasting, but it's sure got a burn.

From what I can tell it's cheap and cheerful over in the US here your paying for rarity and import.

I've tried it, I've tried worse, but I'd never get it again.

Soldato
Mellow Corn:

Anything but mellow, kicks in at 50% abv, to be fair the flavour isn't bad, it isn't cheap tasting, but it's sure got a burn.

From what I can tell it's cheap and cheerful over in the US here your paying for rarity and import.

I've tried it, I've tried worse, but I'd never get it again.

You tried any Rye's

I got a bottle of Rittenhouse a few months back, great stuff.

Soldato
OP
@beachBOYken

Everything I've tried is on the first post of this thread. I think the only one was bulleit rye which probably wasn't the best example, but I preferred a regular.

I do have a bottle of Basil Haydens lined up, but I'm saying that until Christmas.

Soldato
I can't see it is, this on Amazon?
Yep. Is it worrying that I drink too much red wine last night, woke up feeling terrible and the first thing I think of when I get their stupid 'cyber monday' notification is ooh I wonder what bourbon is on offer :confused: :p

EDIT: Looks like my 1hrs worth of faffing with work was too long. It's all gone :(

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
If you have a Tesco clubcard Makers Mark is £20 a bottle right now.

It's why its top of my list, its a really nice bourbon, yes some are better, but none that you can get for £20.

Soldato
OP
Buffalo Trace seems very highly regarded amongst the cheaper bourbons.

It's good, I'd say second tier. Markers Mark, Woodford etc is better, but its certainly not bad for £19.

Yes Makers is still a safe pair of hands as a xmas gift, for my relations
Another rye possibility
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bulleit-Bourbon-Rye-Whiskey-70/dp/B00CPZLSGI £27

I've tried that one, in all honesty I'd say Regular Bulleit is better. But of course taste is subjective.

Back
Top Bottom