Boy removed from school in transgender rights row

Yeah so I've wrote about this before, there are things that are deemed feminine or masculine because of our culture, e.g. blue + cars, pink + flowers. There are some things though which are fundamentally feminine and masculine (giving birth, impregnating a woman etc.), these are biological, it ultimately boils down to who has the larger sex cells (females) and who has the smaller sex cells (males). So here's where I draw the line, if you want to go about your life doing the things that aren't deemed right for you because of our culture then go for it. But if you have the "I'm a female trapped in a male body" mentality, you are just mentally ill. It is tantamount to saying I'm a unicorn. If you are born male and want to wear culturally deemed feminine clothing and adopt feminine mannerisms, fine I don't care, go for it. But if you are born male and want to get pregnant and give birth that's pure delusion (and vice versa).

Ok, now broaden that out to cover some more gender stereotypes.

Sure,

Gender roles of a male:
- Work / provide
- Father to child
- Protector

Gender roles of a female:
- Home keeper
- Mother
- Carer

Yeah so I've wrote about this before, there are things that are deemed feminine or masculine because of our culture, e.g. blue + cars, pink + flowers. There are some things though which are fundamentally feminine and masculine (giving birth, impregnating a woman etc.), these are biological, it ultimately boils down to who has the larger sex cells (females) and who has the smaller sex cells (males). So here's where I draw the line, if you want to go about your life doing the things that aren't deemed right for you because of our culture then go for it. But if you have the "I'm a female trapped in a male body" mentality, you are just mentally ill. It is tantamount to saying I'm a unicorn. If you are born male and want to wear culturally deemed feminine clothing and adopt feminine mannerisms, fine I don't care, go for it. But if you are born male and want to get pregnant and give birth that's pure delusion (and vice versa).
Well put. This is basically how I see it too.

So the consensus here is, gender isn't the same as the sex of a person. Which matches the dictionary definition.

So the problem with this incident is the word "Girl" refers to a sex, not gender. So it was used correctly even if the girl in question identifies as male.

If he referred to "him" as a "her" that might be construed to be a little more gender specific. Though even this can be correct in both contexts as "she" can refer to sex or gender, it's not exclusive to one meaning.

I’m glad people can find the funny side in bullying transgender children, almost half of whom attempt suicide.
Newsflash, mentally ill people commit suicide.

Ok, true. The point is it’s not reasonably to assume that all biologically male people adhere to the male stereotypes and vice versa, which is what underlies this whole thing.
Didn't say people HAD to. If a bloke wears a dress, I don't care. If he says he's a woman, he's still a man in a dress.

Back
Top Bottom