Poll: Brazilian Prix 2018, São Paulo - Race 20/21

Rate the 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
I do notice that Jos Verstappen has been rather quiet on the matter for once. I wonder why. :D

Can't praise Leclerc enough after that race. For me at least, the best qualifying lap of the season at the end of Q2 and he was genuinely best of the rest in the race. Obviously Sauber were strong this weekend, as Ericsson showed, but he certainly looks like he fits among the leaders.

It's starting to look like Kimi's decision to move to Sauber wasn't so odd after all. Going backwards of course, but it looks like they could be much higher up than people were expecting.

Last edited:
Transmission breaker
Don
Max has years to get his temperament under control and he is wicked fast.
He will win regardless of his current actions, and if he improves he will surely take the mantle from Lewis (in the right car!).

Man of Honour
I am still impressed by how long the bulls stayed on those super softs, especially considering their pace throughout the stint and the overtaking that max did. That said, it sounds like Mercedes and Ferrari are seriously nursing their PU from their battles throughout the season whereas Red Bull have much newer parts. Same happened last season. Mercedes are also going to have more favorable tyres next season. Max is fast, but terribly error prone.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Lewis Hamilton's power unit was “just about to break” at one stage during the Brazilian Grand Prix, Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff has revealed.

Hamilton complained several times about problems with his power unit on his radio during the race. Wolff credited the Mercedes High Performance Powertrains for finding a way to keep it running.

“We had such a horrible race today with the perfect end result with Lewis winning and us winning the constructors championship,” said Wolff.

“But I can tell you mid-race we got the information: ‘power unit failure imminent on Lewis’s car’. And the guys in the background, the HPP guys fixed it.

“God knows how you can fix hardware that is just about to break and make the car finish. So that race was just a nightmare until obviously the checkered flag came down and everything broke loose.”

Wolff described the moment he heard on the team’s radio the power unit was one lap away from failure.

“What I could hear – because I’m having about 10 channels open – on one of the meeting channels was ‘Lewis Hamilton power unit failure imminent – it’s gonna fail within the next lap.’ And I said ‘excuse me, what?’

“And they said we have a massive problem on the power unit and it’s going to fail next lap. It didn’t fail next lap, and I said when you guys have a minute, let them work, [then] tell me what what’s happening.

“They said ‘well, our exhaust is just about to fail’ and we’re over-shooting all the temperature limits as to what’s to fix and so they started to fix it turning the whole thing down. And then the stage temperatures went down to below a thousand, 980, but it’s still too high. Then he recovered another lap. That was truly horrible.”

https://www.racefans.net/2018/11/11/hamiltons-engine-was-one-lap-away-from-failure/

Man of Honour
It was even leaking oil visibly on the grid apparently. These cars are getting to their limit. Personally I hate all of the tyre and car management, but I guess this is modern F1.

Caporegime
It was even leaking oil visibly on the grid apparently. These cars are getting to their limit. Personally I hate all of the tyre and car management, but I guess this is modern F1.

Even when they used 3 engines a weekend, they still ran them exactly on the limit and they still had multiple failures and attempts to avoid them. F1 has always been about tire and car management, saying this is something new is laughable. Exactly how you manage the engine and exactly how you manage tires changes with different engines and tires, but it's absolutely always been there.

Man of Honour
Even when they used 3 engines a weekend, they still ran them exactly on the limit and they still had multiple failures and attempts to avoid them. F1 has always been about tire and car management, saying this is something new is laughable. Exactly how you manage the engine and exactly how you manage tires changes with different engines and tires, but it's absolutely always been there.

I don't remember Schumacher or Hakkinen doing much car management. Most of the time they were hammering in the lap times and right on the limit. I would say most of a race is now management.

Soldato
That's nonsense, they still would have been managing multiple components and outcomes - tyres, brakes, transmission, engine cooling, fuel etc. Flat out 100% balls to the wall racing lap after lap is a utopia that's never existed.

Soldato
That's nonsense, they still would have been managing multiple components and outcomes - tyres, brakes, transmission, engine cooling, fuel etc. Flat out 100% balls to the wall racing lap after lap is a utopia that's never existed.

Management was part of racing hard and fast. Now it's become too much like not racing ie, driving slowly, not fighting for positions, not defending, etc. The idea of the tyres Pirelli were asked to make is that the races would be exciting, teams would choose to run flat out, but have to come in and make more pitstops for fresh tyres, then fight back up the field. Where it's gone wrong is that because of the design of the tracks where you can't overtake, and the reliance on aero where you can't overtake, it means that track position is king twice over. If you can't come in for fresh tyres and then overtake again, you've got to stay out here slower than ever, managing fuel, your precious few engines, and tyres. Everyone's doing it, because it's more advantageous than coming in for multiple stops, or hammering your engines to the max.

It's a fundamental flaw in the current version of F1 that all comes down to cars not being able to overtake as easily as they used to, so management is more advantageous than racing.

V F

V F

Soldato
Verstappen has a very hot head but he's also blindingly fast and can manage his tyres at seemingly far faster lap times than many others. He'll still make mistakes, but if he is in a slightly more competitive car next year then the circumstances that can create the environment for those mistakes will be fewer.

Leclerc is really interesting. The expectations of his performance levels are making 2019 a make or break year for Vettel. If Leclerc becomes the defacto number one driver through performances, Vettel would either need to accept his position or leave. I don't think he's capable of the former, and those same traits mean that there's probably nowhere to leave to.

There have been plenty of false dawns in previous years, but I'm really looking forward to 2019. Sods law that it turns into the 'Alonso rule' as McLaren produce a storming car out of nowhere and Sainz or Norris breeze to the WDC!

That would be an awful feeling to see as you've left but somehow I doubt it.

Soldato
I challenge that view. It is different today because the management of different aspects of a race and a car are not only far better understood (more is measured and so more can be managed) but they are far more visible too, both to drivers, teams and the viewing public. You're also conflating two different things - tyres are managed for the quickest strategy from start to finish, engines are managed to avoid damage and subsequent penalties.

If nobody told you that a team was managing engine power or had swapped an engine before a race, you wouldn't know. You wouldn't know if teams were running to conserve fuel as the cars going faster than them might be faster at that circuit. You can tell from a tyre condition if it is struggling but that's only one indicator - Verstappen's 30+ lap old super softs looked great yesterday compared to Hamilton's 20+ lap old softs. Heck, when Schumacher came on the scene it was always thought that drivers themselves were operating at the same consistent physical condition throughout races and didn't tire, but his superior fitness soon dispelled that myth.

Soldato
I don't remember Schumacher or Hakkinen doing much car management. Most of the time they were hammering in the lap times and right on the limit. I would say most of a race is now management.
The late 90s to mid-00s was the time with the least management. The tyres were hard, we had refueling (so less saving) and the cars mostly reliable. People forget that the mid 00s had some of the worst racing in the history of the sport though.

The 80s was all about management, some of the most drastic in the sport (both engine and especially fuel), and the 80s is a lot of people's favourite era. It's not like it's some new-fangled thing that's singularly ruined racing.

V F

V F

Soldato

No? I remember something in 98 or was it 99? Then Hakkinen's car failed even though he had a comfy lead.

V F

V F

Soldato
I don't recall 2001, pretty sure it was Nurburgring as it was the late 90s. It was a dull grey day...

Back
Top Bottom