Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Sorry - I'm busy at work and can't keep up with the speed of this thread (rofl)

Could someone correct me here - but it sounds as though we'll be aiming to get access to the free market, without the free movement of people - but presumably for a fee, and presumably we'll lose all the payments/rebates we were getting before?

Soldato
The Tory’s a pretty efficient at getting rid of leaders and installing new ones, there’s no reason why we won’t have a new PM by the start of September at the latest so there is no reason at all why we shouldn’t invoke article 50 right now. The new leader can then sort out the finer details.

Soldato
The government is obligated to carry out the voice of the people, despite what the media report about voters with regrets or the back tracking from the leave campaign.

If a government choose to ignore the vote then they lose credibility to the world in British as a democracy. If they hold a second referendum it will send out the same message.

We are up the crap creek either way, article 50 will come eventually and then watch the regrets really roll in.

Do you really believe that a responsible government would go through with something they knew would irreversibly damage the country for a long time simply to save face in the political view of its peers. Because that is scary, that we have politicians who would literally shoot us and themselves as a nation in the foot and then effectively cite they were only following orders..............

UK is already losing credibility all over the world so at this point they should forget about credibility and make sure that what ever route they take really is for the betterment of the UK and not just because they don't want to look like idiots in front of the world stage.

Man of Honour
Instead of insulting me personally why don't you reply how it is all going to be A okay?

Go on, what is this economic Masterplan that you have.

Show me your UNDERSTANDING.

I didn't claim to have one? I'm not an expert and I certainly don't claim to be, not enough to say for sure whether it will be a mess or not for sure.

I don't believe it will be, but I could be wrong. If you want to see my UNDERSTANDING, feel free to read the 70-80 posts I've made across the threads that have been created on this subject since the run up to the referendum

Caporegime
The government is obligated to carry out the voice of the people, despite what the media report about voters with regrets or the back tracking from the leave campaign.

If a government choose to ignore the vote then they lose credibility to the world in British as a democracy. If they hold a second referendum it will send out the same message.

We are up the crap creek either way, article 50 will come eventually and then watch the regrets really roll in.

I'm pretty sure the Government would gain credibility win the world if it overruled the referendum right now.

Soldato
I haven't personally witnessed any. Not denying the Britain Firsts types might be shouting a bit louder a the moment but I'd like to see some figures to show there has been a "massive increase" in racist incidents. I guess we'll have to wait for the police figures.

However, I feel many butt-hurt remainers are using these isolated incidents, as they did with Jo Cox, as a disgusting tool to create even further divisions in our communities. The hysterical view on this and all but advising anyone not white or English born they should be scared to leave the house is a horrific attempt to create a self fulfilling prophecy.

Great sensible level headed post

Associate
He said article 50 will be invoked by the next PM.
If not they better hire 200,000 police country wide ready for the riots.

Don't worry there are already plans to increase funding to the police to try and deal with the scum who're causing a 50%+ increase in xenophobic attacks over the past two days as they now think the leave campaign has given them a voice.

Personally I think the 50% figure is being pulled out from the toilet. Obviously in situations like this reportings of these attacks will go up, but it doesn't mean they weren't happening before.
On the other hand, they shouldn't be dismissed neither. There seems to be a lot of people who're personally reporting that they've seen or been a victim of these attacks first hand, and that isn't just media sensationalism, that's people telling you first hand.

Soldato
Isn't it more the case that if the referendum is ignored there may be a significant hit on the turnout in future GEs ? This would, of course, mean that the elected government wouldn't really have a mandate to govern from the electorate.

Soldato

Could someone correct me here - but it sounds as though we'll be aiming to get access to the free market, without the free movement of people - but presumably for a fee, and presumably we'll lose all the payments/rebates we were getting before?

it won't be the "free market" under those conditions, it will be the "Tarrifed to the eyeballs market", thus making the UK a less attractive option unless the government does a china and props up all our manufacture so we can sell at a loss just to keep the fires burining.

All the rebates are gone once we quit.

Associate

This is still the part I don't get. Is the next PM / government legally obliged to carry out the will of the people and invoke Article 50? I get the sense that the next PM must be pro Leave for it to work? So it only seems logical that they'd intend to invoke it. If they didn't then I think you're right. There really would be uproar.

Man of Honour
OP

No, he's put it all on the next PM.

He didn't. He said it was their decision.

This is still the part I don't get. Is the next PM / government legally obliged to carry out the will of the people and invoke Article 50? I get the sense that the next PM must be pro Leave for it to work? So it only seems logical that they'd intend to invoke it. If they didn't then I think you're right. There really would be uproar.

There is no legal obligation at all :)

Soldato

No one is legally obliged.

Cameron has just played his final hand and I for one think it's the only great think he did as PM.

Soldato

technically they are not legally obliged to do anything, The referendum was not legally binding, so a pro leaver liek Johnson could come in, buffoon around for a few weeks then say it's not happening. At which point there would no doubt be some kind of anarchy, but legally no, there is no requirement for anyone to invoke it at all, only a moral one to speak of really,

Man of Honour
OP
Forget it, if anyone's watched the PM in the commons today, we're coming out.

If anything I'm more convinced now than before that it's not set in stone.

If Boris remains in hiding or does turn out to have no plan as to what to do, who is the pro-leave leader they're going to look to?

They need someone to lead on it or it won't happen.

Soldato
I honestly think I'm out. This is going to stuff us for a while, even if, as is hoped, we end up in a better position at the end of it.

Considering Canada or Australia.

That's my thinking and I'm slowly getting other half to see it that way too. Let our place and bugger off for few years if not permanently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom