Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
OP
Heard on the radio driving home that, David Cameron has basically said deal with it, we are coming out of the EU.

Probably won't stop the crying for another referendum though.

He hasn't. We've been following PMQ in this thread. He's said no more than that it's down to his replacement to decide.

Soldato
Man of Honour
OP
I just watched PMQs for far too long at work, you can tell they are all intelligent people, and they are politically forced to pay lip service to the democratic vote and say it is sacred, when they all know that really the public are a bunch of ******* morons and this is economic suicide.

It needs someone heroic to make an incredible speech about how MPs represent the electorate but actually are intelligent people themselves, how the future of the Union of the UK being at risk outweights a 4% majority on this. Then put themselves up for new Tory leader on the platform of defying the referendum, if you then get a few brave MPs start to back it it could take off.

Whilst I agree, it really would need someone heroic because they'd be ending their own political careers.

Associate
I just watched PMQs for far too long at work, you can tell they are all intelligent people, and they are politically forced to pay lip service to the democratic vote and say it is sacred, when they all know that really the public are a bunch of ******* morons and this is economic suicide.

It needs someone heroic to make an incredible speech about how MPs represent the electorate but actually are intelligent people themselves, how the future of the Union of the UK being at risk outweights a 4% majority on this. Then put themselves up for new Tory leader on the platform of defying the referendum, if you then get a few brave MPs start to back it it could take off.

It's an interesting point. This would essentially beckon in a meritocracy of sorts, something many have been advocating for years.

Soldato
You do realise that the UK has an opt out from future integration?

It wont last thought, the EU is already moving to limit individual members ability to veto legislation. They are doing it now for trade deals and have been considering making all legislation based on majority vote.

They have already called for tighter integration.

Soldato
Whilst I agree, it really would need someone heroic because they'd be ending their own political careers.

How about if it was someone who was only London based? The London-based, heavily pro-remain electorate would surely be forgiving if they stunt didn't come off, and it wouldn't ruin their political career too much going forwards.

Someone be a hero, please

Caporegime
It has already been said about 20 times. Nobody is listening it would seem... None of the reasons people voted out actually exist...

People were listening, but they just didn't believe that the politicians would use that opt-out. Quite sensibly imo given the past performance of UK "opt-outs" of EU legislation.

Soldato
It wont last thought, the EU is already moving to limit individual members ability to veto legislation. They are doing it now for trade deals and have been considering making all legislation based on majority vote.

They have already called for tighter integration.

To which Britain has a veto. But as they will soon no longer be in and want access to the single market they will have to accept anything that the EU decides. Dumb or dumber?

Associate

And be rewarded with a peerage perhaps

Soldato
I am not surprised Nigel is quiet. As his life's work has been fulfilled he is probably making plans to dissolve his Party and plan a retirement somewhere(in Britain, of course)
No?

Soldato
To which Britain has a veto. But as they will soon no longer be in and want access to the single market they will have to accept anything that the EU decides. Dumb or dumber?

We wouldn't have to accept everything, none of the EFTA members have to accept all legislation if they do not want to. And certainly none that affects the country on a political basis. Most legislation is based upon the quality and standards of trade goods etc.

The EFTA members are far freer than the UK in terms of self governance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom