Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
OP
Soldato
If anything I'm more convinced now than before that it's not set in stone.

If Boris remains in hiding or does turn out to have no plan as to what to do, who is the pro-leave leader they're going to look to?

They need someone to lead on it or it won't happen.

Boris is hardly playing the conquering hero is he, definitely conspicuous by his absence, which is a bit unsettling.

Soldato
Interesting. Summed up well here too: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/23/eu-referendum-legally-binding-brexit-lisbon-cameron-sovereign-parliament

Seems to be more a case of it being political suicide if the decision is not respected. But Cameron has already resigned! So guess it really does all bog down to who becomes next PM and how pro Leave they truly are.

It's not just how pro leave they truly are, it's also the fact that first they need the support of the conservative party.

Man of Honour
OP
I'm sitting here and thinking... WOW this is a massive mess! :o

tbh I think the country would've been better off without this referendum.

I fully agree. That said, the Cons were elected on there being one, so we really chose that too if you want to get down to the nitty-gritty.
My gut feel on this has changed now. I don't think article 50 is ever going to be invoked.

I don't either. Yet, it may well.

Soldato
I'm sitting here and thinking... WOW this is a massive mess! :o

tbh I think the country would've been better off without this referendum.

I think politicians, the country and the world needed it as a wake-up call.

If you think the world was stable before, then why would a vote that has not had any kind of legislation passed to see it through caused such chaos across the world?

The progress from the 2009 recession was never stable and always balanced on a knife edge, you can see by what has been happening in the markets around the world.

Soldato
Heard on the radio driving home that, David Cameron has basically said deal with it, we are coming out of the EU.

Probably won't stop the crying for another referendum though.

Soldato
I just watched PMQs for far too long at work, you can tell they are all intelligent people, and they are politically forced to pay lip service to the democratic vote and say it is sacred, when they all know that really the public are a bunch of ******* morons and this is economic suicide.

It needs someone heroic to make an incredible speech about how MPs represent the electorate but actually are intelligent people themselves, how the future of the Union of the UK being at risk outweights a 4% majority on this. Then put themselves up for new Tory leader on the platform of defying the referendum, if you then get a few brave MPs start to back it it could take off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom