Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Yes, the Party of Wales isn't really much of muchness in UK politics; but then again, the SNP were in the same spot too, behind Labour for decades, and look where they are now.

It does strike me as odd that the Scottish 'National' Party and Plied Cumrag both want to leave the UK to become EU states.

Soldato
The EEA Agreement does not cover the following EU policies:

Common Agriculture and Fisheries Policies;
Customs Union;
Common Trade Policy;
Common Foreign and Security Policy;
Justice and Home Affairs;
Monetary Union (EMU).

The countries are also freer to determine their tax policies for business, which we are limited within the EU due to EU laws.

Have you been listening to the politicians? At PMQ, even the leavers, wanted access to the single market. To get these you are in, at minimum, a Norwegian solution. That is all the rules with no say.

Caporegime
Have you been listening to the politicians? At PMQ, even the leavers, wanted access to the single market. To get these you are in, at minimum, a Norwegian solution. That is all the rules with no say.

You do realise that Norway is in the EEA and the poster you just quoted was talking about the EEA!

Just to clarify, you're wrong - he's just explained why you're wrong and has listed the areas that don't apply...

(however I don't believe an EEA solution would be acceptable to us as we're pushing for immigration controls which EEA membership won't give us)

Don
It does strike me as odd that the Scottish 'National' Party and Plied Cumrag both want to leave the UK to become EU states.

It's almost as if they feel that having access to a massive trading bloc and free market, along with free movement of people while retaining their sovereignty is a good idea. Who'd have thought?

Soldato
It's almost as if they feel that having access to a massive trading bloc and free market, along with free movement of people while retaining their sovereignty is a good idea. Who'd have thought?

If only the possibility of a cascade dissolution of the UK had been mentioned?

Associate
Associate
Law for trade can now be micromanaged and pass very quickly which would give the UK an advantage over a a large entity such as the EU, this is what going to help us.

Soldato
Mervin Kings interview today should help calm down all but the most hysterical arm flapper.

Should raise an eyebrow on those who feel only leave lied as well.

Soldato
however I don't believe an EEA solution would be acceptable to us as we're pushing for immigration controls which EEA membership won't give us

I feel that due to the size of the UK and precedent of Switzerland in the past getting concessions on limiting the freedom of movement, (there is also legislation allowing EEA country's to put the brakes on uncontrolled freedom of movement that EU member states do not have) That we could get some sway on the freedom of movement issue.

I don't see the tenants behind the freedom of movement as bad, the freedom to travel, work and reside without the need of a visa. But not allowing countries to control the numbers of people entering should never have been part of the deal.

I think we could do quite nicely by joining the EFTA then sorting some bilateral deal or having EEA membership with some compromises. Just definitely no to schengen, that goes completely against the idea of controlling the borders.

Soldato
Boris is hardly playing the conquering hero is he, definitely conspicuous by his absence, which is a bit unsettling.

He buys stock when it's rising, sells before it falls. In other words, he shows up when there's political capital to be built by clumping around rabble rousing for Leave, and keeps his head down during the nasty in-fighting and plummeting pound.

Soldato
I feel that due to the size of the UK and precedent of Switzerland in the past getting concessions on limiting the freedom of movement, (there is also legislation allowing EEA country's to put the brakes on uncontrolled freedom of movement that EU member states do not have) That we could get some sway on the freedom of movement issue.

I don't see the tenants behind the freedom of movement as bad, the freedom to travel, work and reside without the need of a visa. But not allowing countries to control the numbers of people entering should never have been part of the deal.

I think we could do quite nicely by joining the EFTA then sorting some bilateral deal or having EEA membership with some compromises. Just definitely no to schengen, that goes completely against the idea of controlling the borders.

No problem with free movement of people personally but I don't think in work benefits should be available the second they arrive it's pointless anyone coming here or anywhere else if they have to claim straight away.

Soldato
We've just left the EU, why would they want to in any way make it easy? Of course they won't allow us to limit free movement with free trade. There's just no way that will happen.

That is true, but compared to the EFTA 4 we are a larger country that has a larger chunk of trade with Germany and France in particular. Although the french side of things might be rough due to how vehemently Pro-EU François Hollande is. He wants to see the uk all but destroyed to try and quell any possibility of any other countries getting referenda on leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom