Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
funny thing is merkal coming out saying it doesnt have to be painful.

also the bbc;s off again with more banking job losses, this time HSBC could move 2k workers to paris, but the HSBC when asked by the bbc had no comment. wonder how long it will be before the bbc end up in court over posting dodgy rumours.

At the same time Murdoch and Dacre end up there on similar charges. :p

I stuck my head out of a front window this morning, and it looked, smelled and sounded like another normal day. My shares dropped a bit on Friday, but no more than on a number of other volatile days since I bought them. Mortgage payment's still fixed until 2019, and my work brought in more wonga this month than last month despite all the 'uncertainty'. Bought four pints of milk in my local Sainsburys for a quid earlier, same price as before D-day.

On here, as in real life, a pack of people are whining about the current affairs they're unhappy with. The BBC acts as though the country's freefalling in to the pits of hell, whilst amusingly trying to pass themselves off as impartial. Unimaginative souls cry out 'what now?' instead of just getting on with their lives and travails. What now I hear you ask? Stop banging on about it perhaps, and get on with whatever you did with your lives before this drama.

What do you make of this weather we're having, sticky out there isn't it? It wants to rain tonight, but it can't. Oh well it is trying though, a bit like when you keep trying to cough up something but it won't dislodge.

'Man declares Brexit justified on basis that he can still buy milk.'

funny thing is merkal coming out saying it doesnt have to be painful.

also the bbc;s off again with more banking job losses, this time HSBC could move 2k workers to paris, but the HSBC when asked by the bbc had no comment. wonder how long it will be before the bbc end up in court over posting dodgy rumours.

No comment by its nature means nothing... It doesn't mean a confirm or deny.

There is a huge amount of blame on Cameron for this ever happening.

The stupid referendum promise and the failure to properly engage the public are his crimes.

But by bailing without actually pulling the plug an opportunity exists to reconsider the result without ignoring it.

Call a GE.

The referendum has happened and if people didn't they can be real sure about the stakes now. The politicians also can see how split people are over this.

There will be one major issue and that will be going through with it or not and the party that gets elected has to go through with whatever banner they flew and it will be democratic.

Totally agree. A General Election with EU membership as the central issue is the only viable way out of this mess.

The referendum shows that there is a slim majority for Leave, but the post vote fallout demonstrates that it is a lot more complicated than anyone was led to believe, the country is bitterly divided now and that there has been a whole of heap of behind the scenes shenanigans going on and political gambles that backfired.

A General Election forces parties to develop a proper manifesto and a plan for action based on this issue. Whoever gets the democratic mandate puts into place that plan of action. At least then there can be no argument that the government that takes us out of Europe, or keeps us in, wasn't actually elected to do so (the current government were not elected with this mandate).

This in no way invalidates the referendum, what it does is acts as a safety valve and a double check that we are indeed wanting to take the risk of such a monumental leap into the unknown.

I'm just so glad that we can rely on our special friendship with the US for a trade agreement. We will be at the back of the queue but at least they are letting us join it.

the fact you cannot see past the fact that these unelected men and women dictate to people living here or anywhere is not enough, what more do you need?

What unelected people are you referring to? The people who pass EU legislation are the MEPs, and they're all elected.

Perhaps you meant the unelected House of Lords? I'd be in favour of abolishing that undemocratic institution, how about you?

Unfortunatly a GE could also make it much worse. The lack of proportional representation could lead to 35% taking us out the EU rather than a majority which would only compound issues further.

The good news is we have are country back to take control of it the way we want to and maybe turn in back to what is was 10 years ago ! I don't like my town being a mini Europe ! because that is the problem , Britain has lost its identity , I don't know about you but I don't even go in to my shopping centre anymore because I don't understand anyone. that is never a good thing, its wrong and its sad that this has happened.

The days when you could chase the darkies out of your neighbourhood while the police turned a blind eye are long gone. Get over it.

No comment by its nature means nothing... It doesn't mean a confirm or deny.

problem is the bbc is portraying it as fact with no proof other than their word over hsbc's now im not saying hsbc couldnt be looking to move some staff out but for the bbc to be saying it will happen as far as they "understand" is a bit iffy to me, if they have a source or some proof show it, but otherwise its rumour.

problem is the bbc is portraying it as fact with no proof other than their word over hsbc's now im not saying hsbc couldnt be looking to move some staff out but for the bbc to be saying it will happen as far as they "understand" is a bit iffy to me, if they have a source or some proof show it, but otherwise its rumour.

It's always sketchy with media and their sources because they can always back off under cover of protecting their sources.

Half sure its a way to get around libel law sometimes.

Unfortunatly a GE could also make it much worse. The lack of proportional representation could lead to 35% taking us out the EU rather than a majority which would only compound issues further.

What's worse than having a current government and an opposition who both are not mandated via election to take us out of the EU, regardless of what a referendum result might ask for. There is only one MP in the House Of Commons elected with a mandate to take us out of the EU, the one UKIP MP.

I agree about PR. But trying to resolve this issue AND change our system of government at the same time is even more of a nightmare.

This referendum should never have been called in the manner it was, or for the reason it was (essentially to quell fractures inside the Tory party). I'm not saying we shouldn't have tackled the subject. But not without a more informed and extended debate. This is not Britain's Got Talent or a Big Brother eviction, it's an enormous political, economic, social and constitutional undertaking. It needed a PLAN. What we have now is an almighty shambles and anyone who thinks it will just all sort itself out is being naive.

Finally: http://news.sky.com/story/1717556/labour-mp-urges-commons-vote-to-block-brexit

Senior Labour MP David Lammy has urged Parliament to "stop this madness" and vote to overturn the result of the EU referendum.

The former minister said the Commons should "bring this nightmare to an end through a vote in Parliament".

The MP for Tottenham added: "Our sovereign Parliament needs to now vote on whether we should exit the EU.

"The referendum was an advisory, non-binding referendum.

The days when you could chase the darkies out of your neighbourhood while the police turned a blind eye are long gone. Get over it.

Implying people who don't share your opinions are racist isn't helping matters.

This thread won't be around much longer if this sort of thing continues.

Finally: http://news.sky.com/story/1717556/labour-mp-urges-commons-vote-to-block-brexit

Senior Labour MP David Lammy has urged Parliament to "stop this madness" and vote to overturn the result of the EU referendum.

The former minister said the Commons should "bring this nightmare to an end through a vote in Parliament".

The MP for Tottenham added: "Our sovereign Parliament needs to now vote on whether we should exit the EU.

"The referendum was an advisory, non-binding referendum.

You seem to be a little behind, but its OK because the discussion was moving very very fast in the old thread, and has already accelerated to some rate of knots in this one! :p

Implying people who don't share your opinions are racist isn't helping matters.

This thread won't be around much longer if this sort of thing continues.

To be fair the quoted post did make mentions of mini-Europe, lack of British identity and not being able to understand foreign tongues. Not so much people that disagree more just that post maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom