Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure anyone has an appetite for an election right now. We probably should have one, but I'm not convinced it will happen.

Besides, if some parties choose to campaign on a pro-EU platform, the result could be highly contentious. Remain voters may flock to Labour and the Lib Dems in such a situation, resulting in a Labour/Lib Dem/SNP alliance that over-turns the result of the referendum. I'm not quite sure how the more passionate Leave campaigners would take that...

If we don't then ironically our leader will essentially be as elected as the so called unelected European president...

As for the latter point. If the country speaks again and elect a pro Europe coalition that campaigned on a "no to article 50" pledge then leave campaigners would have to take the democratic will of the people, just as most remain are taking the democratic will of the people currently.

I think you guys saying we won't really leave are somewhat clutching at straws.

Any party deciding to ignore the referendum result is committing suicide, surely.

The LibDems were utterly destroyed for failing to deliver their promises....

A party deciding to carry through with the referendum result will also be committing suicide. It's a catch 22 for the people in power. Hot potato is a game going to be played for a while to come IMO.

When I read it, it instantly resonated with me, as I too thought their was no desire or Victory fist pumps from Boris and Gove. I initially thought it was out of respect for Cameron, but then after mauling on it, I wondered if Boris and co were never expecting to win. I voted leave for reasons that were not related to the majority, but now it is seeming more and more like a pointless exercise in division!

It's not just the leader of the conservatives. Whichever party leads us after article 50 is declared will be standing over several years of pain. No way will they be elected for another term. People never consider the wider reasons for their pain, it will always be the party in powers fault, even if they are only following the will of the people. Both the prime minister position and the position of the party in power at the time of exit will be a massive poison chalice.

That's why I don't necessarily see an early election as unlikely. The conservatives will want out (especially most of the pro Europe conservative MPs, while any party campaigning for brexit will be hoping to god they aren't the winning side.

At least that will be the major parties. UKIP on the other hand would almost certainly be happy to lead us out and damn the consequences to the party.

Last edited:
It certainly is looking like a disaster. I also feel really uneasy about the narrow margin, I'm all for democracy but the result was far too close to make a decision that would affect so many peoples lives who didn't vote to leave.

The fact that they are delaying invoking article 50 also makes me think that they are now saying 'Oh ****' what do we do now!

It is somewhat bizarre that such massive changes required only a simple majority. In most other countries changes of significant magnitude require more than that.

The US constitution for example requires a 2 thirds majority for changes I think?

I voted remain but I think we should leave. Immigration was clearly the main reason people voted out and it's understandable when people are bypassing countries in between to get to the UK. It just wouldn't be sustainable.
I like the EU but I don't see a long term future for it when the UK leaves. Same thing will happen in France and Germany when people from Eastern Europe start going there in masses.
Seeing interviews of majority of the Brexiters on TV, the age, the way they talk indicating a lack of education, are the people I would never associate with.
If the EU stopped letting every country join, I'm sure we wouldn't have even considered leaving.

So, apart rom my holidays, or food purchases?!

A government back in '92 that decided to hand over more power to a unelected elite than was thought possible. Regardless if you voted for that government, you certainly didn't vote for that.

A decision such as that required a vote.

I still don't get who these unelected elite are.

The European Parliament is elected by the people. The European Commission is elected by the people elected by the people, and the European council is formed of elected heads of state.

Which of those people are unelected?

[TW]Fox;29691996 said:
It is somewhat bizarre that such massive changes required only a simple majority. In most other countries changes of significant magnitude require more than that.

The US constitution for example requires a 2 thirds majority for changes I think?

Amusingly I was chatting to some Americans earlier this evening (I'm in the US at the moment) and they were impressed how fast we can get **** done. They back up your point and said it would take them at least 10 years to get to this kind of vote, and didn't think that is a good thing.

Unfortunatly a GE could also make it much worse. The lack of proportional representation could lead to 35% taking us out the EU rather than a majority which would only compound issues further.

That is one of the big issues with the idea. That said it could work both ways, split vote between conservatives (if pro leave) and UKIP, as well as a possible split vote between labour (if remain) and the lib dems/greens.

For those calling for Cameron to call an election. Can he actually do that any more? With fixed term parliament I thought the whole point was that the party in power couldn't unilaterally decide to call an election. In other words it's not in his power to do so, rather parliament would have to agree some how to do so.

David Tinsley, UK economist at UBS, has said he expects two rate cuts from the Bank of England over the next six months,
taking interest rates from a record low of 0.5 per cent to zero. That would be great.

We can now start bringing back powers and lawmaking to Westminster and how to better spend our EU contribution.

We can start making V8 engines again. There is a massive market for those.

Marr's on BBC at 9am (with Farage, IDS, Sajid Javid, Sturgeon, John McDonnell...) Peston's on ITV at 10am (Sturgeon, Hammond, Esther McVey, Ed Balls, Osborne's ex chief of staff...) So not a single member of the official Leave campaign? Isn't it weird how no one wants to talk about their victory?

It seems Osborne is still AWOL, maybe he really is writing an emergency budget!

[TW]Fox said:
Wow. Words fail me. It wasn't an election, you were not voting for a side or a team. You were voting for whether you personally thought we'd be better off in or out.

And yet despite feeling we'd be insane to leave you didn't bother to vote.

As the old thread is closed, Just to clarify on my post that you quoted in the old thread, I said I didn't debate as i felt the arguments were exaggerated on both sides and as such anything I could possibly say would have been lost inbetween the fighting. I did indeed vote to remain.

Still waiting for a list of the positives out of this vote. I haven't seen any from anyone yet. What's the good news from this? I can only see the bad, let's have something upbeat that I can cling to :)

A general election? And maybe a Labour government with a decent leader in charge...
(I wonder if that's why Labour suddenly want shot of Corbyn, they sniff an election in the near future)

The days when you could chase the darkies out of your neighbourhood while the police turned a blind eye are long gone. Get over it.

Welcome to the post Brexit UK (Sunday Times):

Racist flyers urging Poles to go back to their home country were distributed outside a school just hours after it became clear that the UK had voted to leave the EU.

Laminated cards carried offensive slogans in English and Polish, stating: “Leave the EU, No more Polish vermin” and “Go home Polish scum.”

News of the incident emerged as Baroness Warsi, a former co-chairwoman of the Conservative party, made public a dossier of alleged racist incidents since the Brexit vote. She tweeted yesterday afternoon: “This is not the post-Brexit Britain we want to see. Politicians from all sides need to speak out.”

Adam Andrzejko, editor of Nasze Strony, a Polish paper for eastern England, said the cards, which were found by an 11-year-old boy at 8.30am near St Peter’s School in Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, had been reported to police. St Peter’s, which is in an area of high immigration from eastern Europe, could not be reached for comment.

Presumably the start of many more dark deeds. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom