British Superyacht sinks off Siciliy

Last edited:
I've watched a few videos on the possible cause. One said the boat is fitted with a lifting keel, so if this was in the up position when moored, stability will be greatly decreased. The yacht also has a very tall mast, which is weight that would make it capsize sooner, i.e. it can't be tilted over at as much of an angle. As it was hot, portholes were probably open, allowing water in once it had capsized. So, the freak tornado combined with the keel up could have been the cause.

RIP to those lost, a terrible tragedy.

Why would the keel be lifted when it was moored in deep water? It's raised to allow entry into harbours. The mast was also aluminium so I would suspect that it was at the lighter end of the spectrum.

Why would the keel be lifted when it was moored in deep water? It's raised to allow entry into harbours.

That is a question that needs answered - was it lifted or not and, if it was lifted then why.

The mast was also aluminium so I would suspect that it was at the lighter end of the spectrum.

Physics would like a discussion about leverage :)... The mast was the tallest aluminium mast in the World apparently

Last edited:
It’s rare but the reason its big news is obviously because of who died.

To be expected really, would be a bit of a dull story to the average pleb without the famous people and conspiracy angle.
More often than you think, except it's usually fires that get them, particularly whilst stationary / moored up.

Here's a list of 2023's incidents:

Esysman has been in the superyacht industry for years, think he's an engineering captain or something, he usually covers stuff like this:

So it is because of the people. Meh. Not that interested myself when it's the wealthy that make the news because of wealth. I assumed it was rare but not rare enough for every single one to be reported.

That is a question that needs answered - was it lifted or not and, if it was lifted then why.

Physics would like a discussion about leverage :)... The mast was the tallest aluminium mast in the World apparently
Physics would like a moment with you.

Edits: Sounds like all bodies have now been found.

Last edited:

The mast (and boat) is designed to take the force when there is wind in the sails. The mast on its own isn't going exert a great deal of force due to its relatively light weight and the lack of cross sectional area is going to limit the force from the wind acting on it.

The mast (and boat) is designed to take the force when there is wind in the sails. The mast on its own isn't going exert a great deal of force due to its relatively light weight and the lack of cross sectional area is going to limit the force from the wind acting on it.

Although that is true, it appears to be the view of.some experts that the mast may have been a contributing factor on the ship capsizing in the reported weather conditions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cy0nwe4d7k5o

[
read earlier post
r4pm Interesting on site comment by Italian bbc journalist/expert on site about lesser stability&strength of aluminium versus wooden yachts, especially with broken mast she seems to indicate was fragile.
- a more detailed explanation somewhere ?

]

just heard heartfelt testomony to Chamberlains charitable/philanthropic role in managing finances of Cambridge United

Why would the keel be lifted when it was moored in deep water? It's raised to allow entry into harbours. The mast was also aluminium so I would suspect that it was at the lighter end of the spectrum.

It may be the case that the keel is only normally lowered when the yacht is under sail, to counterbalance the sails. Source is the video below. They said it may be the case that it's not usually lowered when at anchor as it could create a knocking sound that would disturb those onboard:

Back
Top Bottom