British University bans all offensive words and phrases

Soldato
SC on here is going this way with the new policy of banning people from individual threads just because some sensitive souls can't handle anyone disagreeing with them. The Brexit thread is just **** now without its main contributor lol. :p

Soldato
Did that mean university hurt your manly feelings so you've come here to complain? Who's a sensitive little *********? :D

V F

V F

Soldato
I work in a university and our students, when they go to classroom work, aren't allowed to say black board - has to be chalk board. Not allowed to sing baa baa black sheep, has to be baa baa little sheep. Things have gone badly PC and ridiculous.

You're kidding?

SC on here is going this way with the new policy of banning people from individual threads just because some sensitive souls can't handle anyone disagreeing with them. The Brexit thread is just **** now without its main contributor lol. :p

Soon debating will be a thing of the past. Even those threads as it is really isn't debating. All you ever see is news, twitter snippets and headlines.

Soldato
I assume since they don't want to offend/discriminate against anyone, Cardiff University will now be admitting all applicants regardless of educational achievements/ability?

As an alumni of the proper Cardiff University I take more offence to these people using a name which makes people confuse them with my academic institution than any of the things that they have listed as being offensive. As such I think that Cardiff Met should be renamed as The Land of Politically Correct Nonsense Gone Mad.

Soldato
The tragedy of this is how such stupidity polarises things so much. Take an example I consider valid: using "she" sometimes for a hypothetical person rather than always "he". It doesn't do any harm, remains grammatically correct and doesn't invent weird and contorted terms like "fireperson". When I write documentation and I need to do this, I'll alternate from time to time, just keeping it consistent within any given example. (I.e. if "he" has to connect the monitor to the computer then "he" is the one who then has to turn it on. But later in another example "she" might replace the hard drive). It's a mild rebalancing that normalises the use of the female gender in language and doesn't offend anyone other than hardcore anti-PC brigade (Scorza incoming).

But then instead of something small and reasonable like that, you get a barrage of things like how "waitress" must be replaced with the frankly derogatory (imo) term "server", that housewife should be "consumer" which is dehumanising as **** and all that other long list of nonsense.

So the net result is the whole thing becomes massively polarised by people quite reasonably sick to the back teeth of this crap and defensive proponents who regard everyone criticising them as misogynists or dupes (if female). And the handful of quite reasonable things like using "she" in examples sometimes or "they" for a gender-uncertain singular pronoun when appropriate become hills on which people must die.

Idiocy.

Caporegime
I dunno, i only noticed someone using "he/his/him" fervantly on last weeks question time about education, where an elderly man only cared about education for boys. I was actually kinda annoyed tbh.

But then i ignored it because that was just an old man, and has no real effect on me.

Soldato
The tragedy of this is how such stupidity polarises things so much. Take an example I consider valid: using "she" sometimes for a hypothetical person rather than always "he". It doesn't do any harm, remains grammatically correct and doesn't invent weird and contorted terms like "fireperson".

Can we not just refer to everyone as "it" from now on? Would avoid all this confusion and offend everyone equally :)

Hilarious the outrage this is causing. As if this will be followed or any real consequence comes from breaking these rules.

This, I eagerly await the first employment tribunal where someone has been fired for referring to a "fireman"

Soldato
I still don't accept that anyone, SJW or otherwise would think it's a good idea and worth pursuing to rename a black board. What is their reasoning?
Chalkboard being a case of "political correctness gone mad" is actually a case of "political-correctness-gone-mad gone mad".

Chalkboard was historically favoured in USA, whilst blackboard was favoured in UK. That blackboards are no longer black, and with a continuing transfer of american-english into english-english, we've moved over to chalkboard.

Soldato
Chalkboard being a case of "political correctness gone mad" is actually a case of "political-correctness-gone-mad gone mad".

Chalkboard was historically favoured in USA, whilst blackboard was favoured in UK. That blackboards are no longer black, and with a continuing transfer of american-english into english-english, we've moved over to chalkboard.
That makes far more sense than pressure from some social science esq type think tank.

Back
Top Bottom