BRSK

Associate
I'm all connected but forgot to ask the technician about using the phoneline with a different Modem , did you get anywhere?

15283463345.png

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm just about to sign upto BRSK today. Managed to get out of my Virgin contract due to their RPI changes. Not sure if there are any forum rules against this so if there is then please ignore but does anyone have a referral code that they would like to share? We would both get a £75 voucher. PM me if its allowed :)

Associate
Rescheduled for this thursday morning! (28th Sept) @SpitfireTT how has the service been since you had your install? Have you had a chance to have a look in the router config?
Service has been rock solid since install and the technicians who installed mine from Nanofibre did an excellent job.

I've spoken to BRSK support today and was told you can use your own router with there phone service..

Do you know what routers support it? @ayster or anyone else? I believe they use an RJ11 Connector..

Last edited:
Associate
Service has been rock solid since install and the technicians who installed mine from Nanofibre did an excellent job.

I've spoken to BRSK support today and was told you can use your own router with there phone service..

Do you know what routers support it? @ayster
Hmm, interestng, did they give you the VOIP settings for Betterphone?! Not sure which routers would support phones, I'll be trying with my homebuilt PFSense box, but will need a converter to go from RJ11 - RJ45, or an ATA box. though I think I hve an old Voip handset somewhere, I might try that first!

Last edited:
Associate
Hmm, interestng, did they give you the VOIP settings for Betterphone?! Not sure which routers would support phones, I'll be trying with my homebuilt PFSense box, but will need a converter to go from RJ11 - RJ45, or an ATA box. though I think I hve an old Voip handset somewhere, I might try that first!
When BRSK/Nanofibre enabled my line I could see the phone details but it disappeared after a few minutes , I don't have my phone line connected to the BRSK router yet as my line is still with virgin , BRSK advised me not to cancel virgin until my phone line had been moved over.

I'm guessing when I connect my phone to the router I'll see the configuration as the router will detect the phone.

BRSK support say I can use my own router with betterphone I just need a compatible router..

Associate
When BRSK/Nanofibre enabled my line I could see the phone details but it disappeared after a few minutes , I don't have my phone line connected to the BRSK router yet as my line is still with virgin , BRSK advised me not to cancel virgin until my phone line had been moved over.

I'm guessing when I connect my phone to the router I'll see the configuration as the router will detect the phone.

BRSK support say I can use my own router with betterphone I just need a compatible router..
Yeah they told me the same, mine is currently on Plusnet. Any router should work with VOIP as its just another protocol (SIP) to go over the internet. If you use one that is VOIP specific though, it might give better connection through QOS settings. I'm going to do some research on it. Another possibility is to use the brsk router as a hub and utilise the rj11 ports there, not sure if the mode can be changed, but most routers allow you to change the mode it operates under. Again, I'll have a play with that once I get installed and the phone service is activated.

Associate
Thanks for that. I'm all signed up now. There was a bit of an issue with the website which resulted in me having to do it all other the phone and speaking to about three different people. The guy who finally set it all up though says he used the referral code :)
no worries, I got an email through saying my code had been used :)

Associate
Yeah they told me the same, mine is currently on Plusnet. Any router should work with VOIP as its just another protocol (SIP) to go over the internet. If you use one that is VOIP specific though, it might give better connection through QOS settings. I'm going to do some research on it. Another possibility is to use the brsk router as a hub and utilise the rj11 ports there, not sure if the mode can be changed, but most routers allow you to change the mode it operates under. Again, I'll have a play with that once I get installed and the phone service is activated.

the BRSK router they gave me is rather basic in functionality I've yet to see any options to change the router mode , is SIP the protocol for voip?

My devices are all WiFi 6 enabled but the router is WiFi 5 , if I can find a router that supports WiFi 6 and voip I'll change it.

The BRSK router they have given me is a technicolor DGA0122

Associate
the BRSK router they gave me is rather basic in functionality I've yet to see any options to change the router mode , is SIP the protocol for voip?

My devices are all WiFi 6 enabled but the router is WiFi 5 , if I can find a router that supports WiFi 6 and voip I'll change it.

The BRSK router they have given me is a technicolor DGA0122
Ah ok, I used to have a technicolour one with Plusnet a few years back, they were pretty basic if I remember rightly. Yeah SIP is the VOIP protocol. I did see a screenshot of the Technicolour's menu with a 'Telephony' section, so that should have the SIP settings in it. Just did a quick google for wifi 6 and voip routers and its come back with quite a few results...

https://www.google.com/search?q=wifi+6+voip+router&sca_esv=568200277&sxsrf=AM9HkKnOG1t_hB3M_MZa190pdiaYwYPTjw:1695654367790&source=hp&ei=36ERZdWTLruihbIPyb2RiAg&iflsig=AO6bgOgAAAAAZRGv72eOgA_SK-QvYft8EM-0DgPmW7vO&oq=wifi+6+Voip+&gs_lp=Egdnd3Mtd2l6Igx3aWZpIDYgVm9pcCAqAggAMgUQABiABDIGEAAYFhgeMgYQABgWGB4yBhAAGBYYHjIGEAAYFhgeMggQABiKBRiGAzIIEAAYigUYhgMyCBAAGIoFGIYDSLA3UABY4C5wAngAkAEBmAHfBaAByA6qAQoxMS4xLjEuNi0xuAEDyAEA-AEBwgINEC4YigUYxwEYrwEYJ8ICBxAjGIoFGCfCAggQABiKBRiRAsICCxAAGIAEGLEDGIMBwgILEC4YgAQYsQMYgwHCAgsQABiKBRixAxiDAcICCBAAGIAEGLEDwgIOEC4YgAQYsQMYxwEY0QPCAgUQLhiABMICDhAAGIoFGLEDGIMBGJECwgILEAAYigUYsQMYkQLCAg4QABiABBixAxiDARjJA8ICDRAAGIAEGBQYhwIYsQPCAgoQABiABBgUGIcC&sclient=gws-wiz#ip=1

Im going to check if my Asus ROG wifi router has any SIP/VOIP support.

Last edited:
Associate
it seems it does if using as a router with a WAN connected port, I'm not using it like that so I don't have the option for it! Been reading up on PFSense (my firewall/router) and voip and it seems relatively straightforward to set up, so I'll probably give this a go. Did they say how long it would be before your phone service was active?

Associate
That's soo disappointing, presume you've already called them?
Yeah, he's there now, but I'm at work now until 10pm. They gave me an excuse when I rang that his previous job overran, but when he showed up, my wife asked him why he was late and he said we weren't on the job card! Not the best way to start! Hopefully they will give me something as good willl, supposedly someone is ringing me back to discuss! I'll not hold my breath waiting for that call! :(

Back
Top Bottom