BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Man of Honour
550/118 isn't a profile issue as it doesn't align with any (commonly supplied to consumers) services. If this is a new service then your Hub might need to get a firmware update over the next couple of evenings.
My connection was 900/70 (or 50) when it was first activated, it was a stuck profile on a particular port on my ONT/provision which Openreach had to correct. The upload was still provisioned at the previous connection speeds is what the OR told me, so IMO it's entirely feasible the connection could have a similar issue here..

Soldato
My connection was 900/70 (or 50) when it was first activated, it was a stuck profile on a particular port on my ONT/provision which Openreach had to correct. The upload was still provisioned at the previous connection speeds is what the OR told me, so IMO it's entirely feasible the connection could have a similar issue here..

Thanks ChrisD , did a factory reset on the hub 500-600/114 on all the tests via PC , a laptop ,2 tablets and 5 phones . Plugged my Asus which I use for VM and the same speeds so time to ring BT again

Soldato
Thanks ChrisD , did a factory reset on the hub 500-600/114 on all the tests via PC , a laptop ,2 tablets and 5 phones . Plugged my Asus which I use for VM and the same speeds so time to ring BT again
Don't ring BT, get onto their support forums. They are aware of these profile issues and they have proficient people who can get the issue sorted much faster than going directly to BT themselves. I've had similar issues in the past when I was with them - you'll just bang your head against a wall trying to explain on phone to BT support.

The forum folk who will help out have direct access to folk at BT who can sort the issue and know exactly what to tell them to get the issue fixed in no time.

Soldato
Don't ring BT, get onto their support forums. They are aware of these profile issues and they have proficient people who can get the issue sorted much faster than going directly to BT themselves. I've had similar issues in the past when I was with them - you'll just bang your head against a wall trying to explain on phone to BT support.

The forum folk who will help out have direct access to folk at BT who can sort the issue and know exactly what to tell them to get the issue fixed in no time.

Used BT chat engineer due Monday afternoon with it been a new install , funny thing my son works for Kelly communications and installs FTTP it was MJ Quinns who did this install . Outside box was fitted by openreach a week ago and Quinns did the ONT yesterday . Son said "I aint touching that not my job" still lives at home as well :p

Soldato
Looking to move away from Zen, my VDSL connection has tanked from 60mbps to <15mbps for the past two weeks and they are doing everything they can NOT to send an engineer our to sort out the line. All the usual checks being done otherwise.

So much for great customer support eh?

Anyone worth switching to on VDSL nowadays or are they all pretty much the same?
Sadly FTTP isnt planned in my area till 2026.

Soldato
So an update speeds the same, eng said been an outage in the area for to on going fibre works.
So I started a conversation about the speed with him.. "500 to 600 on WiFi is fine" he said. OK can you explain how my VM 1Gbps connection is giving 938 on WiFi but BT can't give me adove 600 on the 900?. Back to the outage leave it a few weeks BS.
Wired is only 600mb max too so that is below my 700mb threshold for the connection.

Time to get beck on the chat

Associate
Talk talk

Seriously. Their customer service is dire (it’s not as of BT or Sky or Vodafone is any better either) but everything else about the product is good. They use DHCP rather than PPPoe IIRC.
I personally found Sky's service very good when my FTTP connection went down. Admittedly I suspect it helps that I am reasonably IT savvy as well as have an understanding of how FTTP operates but regardless of that, I got through to an advisor quickly, run through a few diagnostic tests before the advisor promptly organised an Openreach visit to my property.

Associate
I’ve been with TalkTalk FTTP for a little over a year and no real complaints with the service. I did, however, only really choose them because of the £100 gift card + £150 cash back offers at the time….both of which I still have not received
£100 gift card finally acquired, Quidco still claiming they haven’t had a response from talktalk.

Alas, I saw that Aquiss were offering 50% off for 6months which leaves me quids in even with the talktalk early termination fees so I’ve signed up!

Man of Honour
Tempted with moving to TalkTalk from Aquiss. With my VM connection having a 'sticky' IP I can run my site to site VPN over that (as well as any incoming rules/Wireguard etc). Just a shame they don't do IPv6.

Caporegime
Decided to email Openreach CEO to find out what’s happening with my local exchange and eventually got a wishy washy response that my exchange and area are not even in plan for FTTP. I’m not rural, I’m not out in the sticks and if I want more than FTTC my only choice at the moment is Virgin. It rather carve my own heart out with a rusty spoon. It’s ridiculous that a major commuter new town in the central belt of Scotland isn’t even planned for an FTTP service.

Youfibre are coming apparently but they’ve been saying that since the end of last year. I know I’m fortunate to actually get 80mbps from my FTTC service but I want more!

Caporegime
Somebody has to be in the last 50%. You've got a gigabit service available from Virgin Media if you wanted to take it, but for your own reasons you don't.

If you are finding your FTTC to be limiting then sticking with it because you don't like the provider of a gigabit-capable DOCSIS network is harming you more than it's harming them - you have 14 days to cancel and the Ofcom code of practise if the service degrades during the contract period, you really don't have anything to lose other than maybe some time if it doesn't work out.

Last edited:
Reactions: KIA
Man of Honour
Haven’t you been singing Aquiss praises for months? Why move?
I have a VM connection as a backup and for any high bandwidth requirements, figured I'll save some money and change the FTTP connection to a cheaper provider with cash back etc. If FTTP were my only connection I'd stick with Aquiss. TalkTalk's network is very good and they are supposed to be enabling IPv6 'soon', I know their support and CS can be a joke but that's someone what negated by it not being the only connection to the house.

I'll wait until the Black Friday deals come out.

Soldato
Tempted with moving to TalkTalk from Aquiss. With my VM connection having a 'sticky' IP I can run my site to site VPN over that (as well as any incoming rules/Wireguard etc). Just a shame they don't do IPv6.
Is there something I need to know about Aquiss, Chris? Openreach put new poles in our street a few months ago, then boxes at the top. I finally received an email today, saying my address would receive FTTP between now and the end of the month. Hopefully that means they'll actually be live soon-ish. :D Has something happened with Aquiss? My perfect ISP doesn't exist (DHCP not PPPoE, ideally a /28 but at least a /29 static IPV4, and v6, no usage limits, good support etc) but they seemed closest.

Associate
Is there something I need to know about Aquiss, Chris? Openreach put new poles in our street a few months ago, then boxes at the top. I finally received an email today, saying my address would receive FTTP between now and the end of the month. Hopefully that means they'll actually be live soon-ish. :D Has something happened with Aquiss? My perfect ISP doesn't exist (DHCP not PPPoE, ideally a /28 but at least a /29 static IPV4, and v6, no usage limits, good support etc) but they seemed closest.

Same requirements on my list. I'm still with Zen having been put on their GEA twice and had issues, and now I'm back on the Wholesale GEA - I'm assured I won't be moved back (a new, backend change has been made to my line) - we'll see.

Aquiss was on my list if I jumped - I'm still sceptical about capacity issues with them, having been burnt back in the Entanet days. Hasten to add, I have no evidence it is still an issue and I appreciate it is probably an unreasonable concern. All my recent interactions with Martin and the team have been great, as it always was in the past.

The other one that is on my watch list, similar to the two above (still PPPoE, sadly) is Unchained ISP - I had a few interactions with them when I was about to jump from Zen and it was all very positive. Might be worth a look....

Man of Honour
My only gripe is the price, since I have a backup connection I figure I could get something a little cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom