BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Isn’t that what cell phones are for?

I jest, I know certain equipment only works with a landline so they can be quite important for certain people. But there is a need for that equipment to get updated and work over the internet or use cellular communications.
I agree with what you’re saying and yes, care alarms etc should be updated (particularly as digital voice doesn’t work in the event of a service failure anyway)

Although some people will be reluctant to give it up because it’s ’all they’ve ever known’

Last edited:
Are they all the same, EE, Vodaphone, Sky etc..? They all use same network don't they? Have a big white box in the cupboard they all use. How much realistically for a good quality router? One of the concerns of going with a provider and getting a crap router.

Are they all the same, EE, Vodaphone, Sky etc..? They all use same network don't they? Have a big white box in the cupboard they all use. How much realistically for a good quality router? One of the concerns of going with a provider and getting a crap router.
They use the same network between the house and their network, typically within the exchange. Effectively the bit of string between your house and the ISP is the same no matter who you are with, what the ISP do within their network is up to them, and some are much better than others. Then there's the support and billing/customer services side.

Results are in...

WiFi via phone
LvYkXWJ.png

Adjusted the WiFi channel and bam...
e9jLFyY.png

Not to shabby on WiFi 6 and a phone.

Last edited:
Is there any disadvantage to Plusnet over BT? Their 900 is £39.99 but the same with BT is £59.99
Core service wise, not really, in fact I would argue plusnet is probably better, or certainly was as it didn't implement site blocking as BT did and the UK based CS was actually decent, other than the quirky billing system. Thing is BT (and EE as the new flagship consumer brand) always get the new/extra's that PN doesn't offer and the hardware tends to be a generation or two behind, but that's not an issue for most, given this is a generally enthusiast based forum, I would expect many people choose to use something else anyway.

Hi all!

I have started to see FTTP coming online and had a few letters in my door about FTTP - Is there a site checker I can see who is active?

I know there are delays with cable connections and portals being updated!

Thanks

Hi all!

I have started to see FTTP coming online and had a few letters in my door about FTTP - Is there a site checker I can see who is active?

I know there are delays with cable connections and portals being updated!

Thanks
Hi,

Bidb.uk is a really good site for checking what FTTP services are available in your area.

Have other Shell or Octopus users received their TalkTalk emails yet? Just been informed that my 200mb Shell service is being moved over to TT’s 500mb for the remainder of my contract \o/

We have 60mbps BT. I’m going to upgrade to 900 tomorrow I think.

At the moment the wiring is not great. It comes down the front of the house via a bracket high up the house, runs down the right side of the front door and terminates in a master switch in the middle of the right side of the floor which then extends under the floorboards to an extension where the router connects.

I’d like to bypass this by putting the modem in the loft which would need a big ladder job to pass the cable up from the bracket under the edge of the roof. Will they do this?

If not would they run it to the other side of my front door so I can get rid of all the existing cabling and sockets still? It would need to be drilled.

Thanks

Last edited:
Well my contract expires with BT in a month. Currently paying £57.99 a month for 900 fibre. Called them to see what they could do but they couldn't offer anything. So I've signed up with PlusNet. In the 6 years I've had fibre, I've only been with BT as their prices have been decent enough to stay with them so I'm hoping PlusNet are as good as BT were service wise.

Well my contract expires with BT in a month. Currently paying £57.99 a month for 900 fibre. Called them to see what they could do but they couldn't offer anything. So I've signed up with PlusNet. In the 6 years I've had fibre, I've only been with BT as their prices have been decent enough to stay with them so I'm hoping PlusNet are as good as BT were service wise.
The service will be the same, the customer support will be better (except their weird billing system), and as a bonus you save money and you get to have a static IP if you choose (for a one off £5 fee IIRC).

Their 'hub' is usually a generation behind BT's though, but I'm fairly certain you can use your existing BT one on PlusNet. Doesn't matter if you use your own equipment.

The service will be the same, the customer support will be better (except their weird billing system), and as a bonus you save money and you get to have a static IP if you choose (for a one off £5 fee IIRC).

Their 'hub' is usually a generation behind BT's though, but I'm fairly certain you can use your existing BT one on PlusNet. Doesn't matter if you use your own equipment.
Thanks. I have UniFi gear at home so will be using that.

Back
Top Bottom