BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
Any FTTP should be sub 10ms compared to 20ms ish on VM

I am on HFC with VM and my monitoring shows 12ms most of the time versus 6ms for my Aquiss/OR FTTP connection. Any improvement is good but I've not had 20ms+ latency on VM for years so the difference isn't always that significant (not that I am in favour of VM due and their awful support).

Soldato

Im always below 10ms on virgin? guess depends where you live.

Are you HFC or RFoG? If it's HFC that's pretty impressive.

Every HFC connection I’ve seen tends to be around 20ms, though I of course can’t exactly comment for the entire country :)

For me it’s around 20ms on VM HFC here and everywhere else I've lived in this part of the country vs 3ms on Toob FTTP so it’s another reason why FTTP is a no brainer in this area.

Last edited:
Associate
Well my contract expires with BT in a month. Currently paying £57.99 a month for 900 fibre. Called them to see what they could do but they couldn't offer anything. So I've signed up with PlusNet. In the 6 years I've had fibre, I've only been with BT as their prices have been decent enough to stay with them so I'm hoping PlusNet are as good as BT were service wise.
Did you not get anything from EE? I saved £20 a month for 24months… same package basically.

Soldato
I’m planning on leaving VM in the next 6 months, thinking of BT or EE full fibre, don’t need phone line and might not bother with TV package either.

These are basically the same right?

I have eero mesh so I presume I can do away with the isp router and connect directly to that ONT? box.

Does it just come down to which has better customer service with these two?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Zen have gone downhill, hopefully you aren’t affected by their new (poorer) network and their CS team look after you if you need to get in touch.

Man of Honour
Whats happened with them? I've not noticed any difference my end and CS seemed as snappy as before.
They hired a bunch of ex TT/VM management and now favour profit/cost cutting over service quality. They've been migrating a bunch of people onto their own network from BTW without notifying customers and some are having a worse experience because of it. Those that do report it get stonewalled by support.

They're still going to be better than the likes of BT, TT etc, but they're not what they used to be.

Soldato
They hired a bunch of ex TT/VM management and now favour profit/cost cutting over service quality. They've been migrating a bunch of people onto their own network from BTW without notifying customers and some are having a worse experience because of it. Those that do report it get stonewalled by support.

They're still going to be better than the likes of BT, TT etc, but they're not what they used to be.
Urgh, Great! Not ideal!
I hadn't heard of that. I guess I stick with them for now and keep an eye on my service. I hate it when a decent service gets bought over and becomes the same as other mediocre services (RIP BE* and UKOnline)

Soldato
I'd rather be with BT. Their network is rock solid and CS is surprisingly good. I've only called CS a couple of times in the 9 years I've been with them but it's been easy enough.

Zen used to be fantastic I had ADSL with them many moons ago and getting a /29 with the option to get PTR records added was very good. Those days are gone based on when I had the misfortune of calling them on behalf of a colleague about a year ago.

Back
Top Bottom