BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

My current BB is coming to an end in about 2 weeks, currently with sky on ther 500mb package, before that I was on BTs 500mb package

Phoned around this time almost everyone and really didn't get offered any deals, so I took a chance and am going with Vodafone this time, I was a bit hesitant because Vodafones minimum for 500mb is like 225mb whereas sky's etc all around 425mb, so I went for sky's 910mb tier as its cheaper than what BT/EE/Sky offered for 500mb, only person cheaper was Virgin Media, with virgin media offering 500mb (well its 510 or 512) for 33.99 and Vodafones 910mb comes out to £36

Yeah I did read some poor reviews, but thought - you always do!

My BB with BT and SKY has pretty much been faultless over the last 2 years so I'm hoping that Vodafone will be the same as theyll also be using open reach

Just as an add on, my mum's pretty much been using Vodafone for her mobile contract since she's had a mobile and hasn't really had an issue either (although she wouldn't exactly be a power user) so I thought I'd take the chance (could come to regret this 24mth decision yet!)

My BB with BT and SKY has pretty much been faultless over the last 2 years so I'm hoping that Vodafone will be the same as theyll also be using open reach
BT, Sky, and Vodafone all use their own networks. Openreach only gets you from your house into their network.

Coming to the end of a 24month BT 1gig deal, will replace like for like with someone else (all my Unifi kit is 1Gbps so no point in the 1.8 packages). Who are decent?

Thanks, hadn't heard of Aquiss, will give them a look. Unfortunately I'm in the countryside so Cityfibre is not an option.
Aquiss do Openreach and CityFibre, plus 6 months half price. But you need to supply your own router.

Ah, I see they do Openreach. I've got Unifi kit throughout the house so don't need a router. Will do some more research on them, cheers.

Upgrading from 70 ish mb ADSL to 300fibre with Zen. Very much hoping for an improvement in stability as the copper cables round here seem to be a bit flakey!

Reactions: KIA
Had our notification through from Open Reach that work is starting end of this year to be completed by Q2 next year, hoping it's relatively accurate in terms of the dates but I'm not going to hold out too much hope. Gigaclear is apparently also meant to be having something in place soonish although no real estimation on time.

Spoke to an Open Reach engineer a few weeks ago (had a fault on one of our lines and he was resolving it) and he mentioned that everything is essentially already in place for FTTP with our area, it's just a case of actually getting it done.

Really just want to get back to some semi decent speeds again. We're running two lines to the house at the moment so that we can work from home without issue but it's a pain in the backside when it comes to downloading/uploading anything.

For anyone that knows.

If a house is supplied by an alternative FTTP supplier does BT bother adding their own fibre?
I don't know for sure, but having seen how Quickline are delivering my fibre, then the run from the house to the roadside ends up in a BT manhole anyway (where Quickline have located their own Aggregation node).

I'd assume if/when Openreach get round to deploying their own FTTP around here, they will probably just put their own Aggregation node in the same manhole, and then just a case of swapping the fibres over that run to individual premises.

I don't know for sure, but having seen how Quickline are delivering my fibre, then the run from the house to the roadside ends up in a BT manhole anyway (where Quickline have located their own Aggregation node).

I'd assume if/when Openreach get round to deploying their own FTTP around here, they will probably just put their own Aggregation node in the same manhole, and then just a case of swapping the fibres over that run to individual premises.
My alternative FTTP is supplied via the telephones poles.

The alternative FTTP have the telegraph poles around the back of the house. But apparently BT have exclusive rights to use the power poles around the front of the house. So i presume they will add their equipment to the poles at the front and i'll have a choice to go with them if i want too.

Last edited:
My alternative FTTP is supplied via the telephones poles.

The alternative FTTP have the telegraph poles poles around the back of the house. But apparently BT have exclusives rights to use the power poles around the front of the house. So i presume they will add their equipment to the poles at the front and i'll a choice to go with them if i want too.
When we had FTTP in Birmingham that was basically our setup / options. We had FTTP from one provider via the telegraph poles, and then we had multiple that were in the ground out the front of the house so not via the poles.

We basically used to swap between each one depending on what the price was for a 12 month contract, I think the last one we had before we left was Grain who use their own fibre network.

I'm assuming OW will run their own fibre. I have an Alt-Net and when Virgin enabled the street the sales guy knocked on the door. I pointed out my LitFibre box and he said they'd run their own fibre and I'd have to have a 2nd access point on the outside of the house. I'm sure I asked and he said BT/OW would do the same.

Back
Top Bottom