BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

I doubt it will cost that much at all, it's going to be a product launched in response to what their customers want, there's no point having it if it's a £70 option.

For anyone that knows.

If a house is supplied by an alternative FTTP supplier does BT bother adding their own fibre?

Openreach don't care about what other companies are doing, they certainly wouldn't see that you're getting fibre from CityFibre and decide to leave you alone - the conditions that made CityFibre a viable option will also exist for Openreach. The only thing that availability of other FTTP networks does is take your property out of any USO obligations.

Last edited:
Hopefully this is the right place to ask this... time has come to switch to FTTP and that'll need Openreach to come out and do their thing.

When routing the cable into the house, does the ONT go on the wall opposite to the Junction Box or can/will they route the cable inside the property to a more suitable location?

Hopefully this is the right place to ask this... time has come to switch to FTTP and that'll need Openreach to come out and do their thing.

When routing the cable into the house, does the ONT go on the wall opposite to the Junction Box or can/will they route the cable inside the property to a more suitable location?
I would likely get a draw string in place to where you want to route the fibre to from where it enters the house. A higher chance they will help you out then.

It depends. If it's being clipped along a skirting board for a few metres then yes, if you want them to run it 25m through four rooms then no.

Also consider that the outside box doesn't necessarily need to go in the same place it's in now, your best best is to talk to the engineer on the day.

Last edited:
If they could follow the same cable routing that the phone line does, it seems to be mutually beneficial - routes to where there are multiple power sources for the ONT, ideally situated for my current router/mesh setup, etc.

There are no other entry points from the outside to the inside where the ONT would work and be able to get power easily... but I have no clue if the engineer would be amenable to my requests or insist it has to go somewhere specific.

Doesn't bother me what the dig up outside to run the cable, just the inside portion that I'd like to try and keep as clean an install as possible.

Anyway, there appears to be one other potentially spanner in the works... CityFibre recently upgraded our entire street, but my place does not have an obviously assigned CF access panel on the pathway outside. My neighbours all do, but I seem to be the only one without. Are they usually property-specific or could they be shared?

Back
Top Bottom