BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Has anyone here changed from BT to EE and did not get a price hike?
Their website upgrade option have at least £3 price increase for my account :(

I tried a couple of times this year to transfer to EE as I kept getting the emails about BT migrating customers to EE and it looked like it would work out cheaper. Phone call after phone call failed to get me what I wanted. To the point where I complained and had one of their Complaints Dept ring me. Problem has been the BT > EE Migration system has been awful. BT have had constant problems with it.

Anyway I left it for a while then lo and behold last week I got the email I've been waiting for ages Full Fibre has arrived on my estate. As I am on the Halo 3 package (which is another useless device btw but reason I got Halo 3 was no price change free upgrade to Full Fibre) I rang BT got someone who seemed to know what they were talking about and didnt do any hard sale. Picked the 500 package as it would be the same price I pay now (Fibre 2 65mb) and I thought I could always go higher later. So I expected go to EE. Well no. The agent said it actually worked out more expensive if I switched to EE so he put me on the BT 500 FTTP package !! I was told they were not allowed to do this when I had my complaints issue. Looks like due to some issues they are not actively pushing you onto EE anymore at the moment.

So Thurs 19th Sept I have Full Fibre installed. BT Full Fibre not EE. I received the "equipment" yesterday it was a set of TP Link Power line adaptors (which I dont need) and an ethernet cable. I am assuming the Engineer will just come, fit the ONT and that goes into my SH2. I was expecting new router and TV kit but looks like I`m using my existing which I dont actually mind. (I have EE TV but I kept my original BT 4k box and my BT 4k Pro box when I went to EE TV so I have two proper boxes not the main box and slave one they offer).

Be interesting come 19th Sept whether this goes smoothly or not.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing those experiences. Im on BT 900 and not actually getting bombarded with communications to change to EE. However Im interested in switching to EE for my mobile as my o2 sim only is ending soon and saw some deals with having them both on EE.

So Thurs 19th Sept I have Full Fibre installed. BT Full Fibre not EE. I received the "equipment" yesterday it was a set of TP Link Power line adaptors (which I dont need) and an ethernet cable. I am assuming the Engineer will just come, fit the ONT and that goes into my SH2. I was expecting new router and TV kit but looks like I`m using my existing which I dont actually mind. (I have EE TV but I kept my original BT 4k box and my BT 4k Pro box when I went to EE TV so I have two proper boxes not the main box and slave one they offer).

I'm surprised at the equipment you've been sent. BT love to send routers, at one point I had 4 of them sitting unopened in their boxes. They'd keep sending me them when pushing me to move to digital voice and then sent another when I renewed. I was also sent another when I moved to EE. I assume it's EE branded rather than BT branded but I haven't opened the box.

There's no reason why the SH2 you've already got won't work though, so yeah, the engineer will install the ONT and it'll be connected to your SH2.

Thanks for sharing those experiences. Im on BT 900 and not actually getting bombarded with communications to change to EE. However Im interested in switching to EE for my mobile as my o2 sim only is ending soon and saw some deals with having them both on EE.

At one point I was getting an email every couple of weeks. I would have moved over sooner if I could do it online but it had to be done by telephone so finding the time to set aside who knows how long and getting the upsell wasn't high on my priority list.

As it turns out though, the call was easy. The chap I spoke to was great, didn't try to sell me anything else and it was all done in about 10 minutes. It's rare that I need to phone EE, but their contact centre is generally very good.

I'm surprised at the equipment you've been sent. BT love to send routers, at one point I had 4 of them sitting unopened in their boxes. They'd keep sending me them when pushing me to move to digital voice and then sent another when I renewed. I was also sent another when I moved to EE. I assume it's EE branded rather than BT branded but I haven't opened the box.

think I have 3 bt routers in the loft

There's no reason why the SH2 you've already got won't work though, so yeah, the engineer will install the ONT and it'll be connected to your SH2.

thanks

I have had BT FTP for 2 years now. When my upgrade came along I got the disc at half price and was shocked at how bad the lag was with devices connected to the disc. After about 2 months I had 2 weeks of no internet and it turns out the OR engineer didn't install the clips to my property correctly. A lovely lady at BT went into rage mode at OR and sorted it after 1 phone call which of course was to my delight.
Since then I have had no issues and the disc has even sorted itself out allowing my to use steam link at 1080p. Apart from the price I'm happy enough and no nothing of networking to worry about all the advanced stuff. I did opt of of EE WiFi anywhere thing, feels wrong randoms using my WiFi walking past my house, if that's how it works.

I've just moved from BT 900 to Cuckoo 900-

Didn't realise they would run a new wire from the pole to the house, I thought they maybe used the new existing stuff BT fitted last year.

All I can say is impressive, the eero hub is leaps and bounds above the BT one. Is app based too.

Only issue is the 1 Ethernet port on the back so have had to use a 1GB switch to connect all my hardwire stuff.

£42 - Free install plus a £100 Amazon card.

Just to note I had no issues with the actual BT connection. It was rock solid, had issues with the hub sometimes dropping WiFi - Had all the TV with BT hence the move. Was costing £109 a month and it was getting out of hand. I never watched the TV, just a total waste. The temptation is not there now adding subscriptions to NowTV and the Movies.

I'm on infinity and playing SPTarkov. Working fine until it won't let the host connect. IP4icanhazip is reporting an IPv6 address. Is this something I can sort out? I've regened a new IP by resetting the routr (smarthub 1) and set it up exactly as before but it's refusing to connect. Port 25565 never opens, even when it's working ok. Cheers

Last edited:
Just realised Cuckoo is 900/900 so my old BT was 100 upload, didn't even think about upload speeds when going with them. What kid of difference would that make? Why are BT capped at 100 ?

Screenshot-2024-09-20-094439.png

Last edited:
Just realised Cuckoo is 900/900 so my old BT was 100 upload, didn't even think about upload speeds when going with them. What kid of difference would that make? Why are BT capped at 100 ?
If you have to ask you probably won't care or use it anyway.

It's good for cloud backups and any large upload sites (YouTube) that can utilise the bandwidth. Not all of them do.

Last edited:
Because Cuckoo can use CityFibre, which is symmetrical. Openreach (not BT!) is still 900/100 until April next year (at least).

They are two different fibre providers.

BT have completely messed up my account. As my Full Fibre order got cancelled it was set to completed not cancelled so my account is showing I have Full Fibre when I dont. Been on phone this morning for an hour to be told its fixed by their Data Integrity Team - Sales tried to put the order through and are unable to due to a technical error. The error ? My account still shows as I`m on Full Fibre when I`m not. Hopefully getting a call tomorrow about it although currently on BT Community trying to get a better phone number to ring today. Their whole system is a joke.

I have that disc and I had to set mine up through the BT app from my phone. Pretty simple to do but it made start next to the router and then move the disc to my desired location and check the connection.

Back
Top Bottom