BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
I have posted my question in the Sky Fibre thread but it is equally applicable here so:

I've been offered Line Rental + Unlimited Calls + Fibre for £28 p/m from Sky (loyal customer). Phone activation is due 23/07 and Fibre the following day 24/07. Ordered phone services on 06/07 and Fibre on 09/07. Fingers crossed the switch over from BT is painless!

BT did offer a similar deal but with 80/20 Infinity for £38 p/m. Could always upgrade to Sky Fibre Pro for additional £10...Both contracts are for 12 months and im slightly put of by Sky not offering annual payment for line rental anymore and it is set to increase on Sept 1st to £14.60 p/m!!

Now which would you guys take? Bearing in mind that both are for 12 months and if i take one offer who knows what the prices will be when i go to renew/renegotiate my contract for another 12 months?

Thanks!

I think sky do the line rental saver upfront but you have to ask about it.

Associate
I think sky do the line rental saver upfront but you have to ask about it.

When placing my order i enquired about the annual payment and the advisor said that Sky had recently stopped that payment method despite having seen it displayed on various pages of their website. I believe it is in accordance with their recent price hikes.

Associate
I think I may cancel my infinity installation as sky fibre is available as well now with no p2p slowing down. Already paid Bt 129 pound for the years line rental just hope they don't make it difficult trying to.cancel and get my Money back.

Associate
I think I may cancel my infinity installation as sky fibre is available as well now with no p2p slowing down. Already paid Bt 129 pound for the years line rental just hope they don't make it difficult trying to.cancel and get my Money back.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but i think that 129 is non refundable from BT as last year in august i paid 120 at the time for the same service, Line Rental Saver.
I have made a thread on the thinkbroadband forums of this topic and a few on BT Infinity have stated that they haven't noticed any slow downs on torrents despite the BT FUP stating that throttling maybe applied during peak hours 4pm-midnight.

Associate
Just found this

r Available to new and existing residential customers for a single advance payment of £129.00 (inc VAT). Payment by debit/credit card only. If you cancel Line Rental Saver within seven working days of your order you will get a full refund of your advance payment to the debit or credit card you paid with. Otherwise the Line Rental Saver charge is non-refundable. Must be taken with a BT calling plan and monthly.

Just hope I ordered it Monday or after of to check my emails.

Associate
Just found this

r Available to new and existing residential customers for a single advance payment of £129.00 (inc VAT). Payment by debit/credit card only. If you cancel Line Rental Saver within seven working days of your order you will get a full refund of your advance payment to the debit or credit card you paid with. Otherwise the Line Rental Saver charge is non-refundable. Must be taken with a BT calling plan and monthly.

If ya paid the line rental upfront ya can't get the money back, they say the payment is non refundable. Obv within 7 days ya can, I didn't read the post. Sorry

Last edited:
Soldato

I've found my Sky speeds drop significantly during the times when BT would be doing traffic shaping - it seems to me that Sky is a bit oversubscribed. Instead of getting 1.6meg I'm getting 200K.

I'm switching from Sky BB to BT Fibre. It's almost the same monthly cost, but Sky wanted 50 in fees, while I'm getting £100 cashback from BT. £150 made me decide to switch :)

Associate
Just found this

That does provide some relief. Have you obtained a refund? I did ring up BT and enquire whether they could offer me a discount on a telephone and broadband package. They offered Infinity (quoted 76/20mb) for £17.25 p/m. I rang Sky informed them of this offer and they offered to drop my line rental to £3 p/m so in the end i went with Sky.

Line Rental £3, Unlimited Calls £5, Fibre 40/10 £20, Total= £28 p/m.

Soldato
I upgraded to Infinity 2,total waste of time, been using a 2750n for a while, restarted several times, according to speedtest & other sites getting a rock solid 40/5.
Change back to BT kit including HH3, now getting 49/5.95 been consistent for two weeks, even with restarts.:(
Are these speed tests flawed, or does BT restricted your connection for not using BT kit?

Soldato
I upgraded to Infinity 2,total waste of time, been using a 2750n for a while, restarted several times, according to speedtest & other sites getting a rock solid 40/5.
Change back to BT kit including HH3, now getting 49/5.95 been consistent for two weeks, even with restarts.:(
Are these speed tests flawed, or does BT restricted your connection for not using BT kit?

I've had Drayteks/Vigor routers before and they've always been slower than ISP provided kit.

Soldato
I've had Drayteks/Vigor routers before and they've always been slower than ISP provided kit.

This is what I can't understand, I borrowed a Asus N56U & got same results.

MilanoChris: About two months ago, had the engineer out several times since but, I'm not happy about performance,& getting tied into another 18 month contract, the BT checker reckons I should get around 54Mb, which is usually a pretty conservative figure.

At the cabinet around 750mtrs away it's showing 79Mb, so I must have a **** line to my pole.

Last edited:
Associate
We had our Infinity installed on Friday (option 2), and these are the speeds we're getting:

2068318778.png

I was hoping it would be a little faster than that. According to Google Maps, we are about 800 metres from the cabinet (that is going via the roads, which I assume the cables do). Given that distance, does that speed seem reasonable, or should I be contacting BT to see if they can improve it?

For reference, with regular ADSL, we were getting about 8.5mb.

Back
Top Bottom