BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

My cabinet is FTTC enabled, and according to the uswitch speedtest map people in the surrounding area have Infinity (literally <100m away) yet according to BT I am unable to get it :( Is BTs checker accurate?

Also can anyone tell me why you are required to have a phone line with Infinity? Other providers dont require one...

Infinity uses your phone line for the box/exchange to house part of the connection. Fibre is only to the main box/exchange on your street/estate.

Cabinet P39
Probability 100%
Uplift 54.37
Phase 9a
Status Part of deployment
Type FTTC (Fiber to the Cabinet)

Exchange EMSTIVE
Name ST.IVES; CAMBRIDGESHIRE
Type FTTC
Availability Now

I may be being stupid but what exactly does "part of deployment" mean? Does it mean the cabinet is done or it is planned to be done?

The uplift figure doesn't make much sense either.

The wholesale postode search site says fibre is not available to me.

Just for fun I tried entering postodes from all over town and some were as early as Phase 5a yet they still come up as "part of deployment".

Thanks

I'm Phase 6b and although across the road it's enabled, our cabinet is not.

From what I've read about it, phase 9a is either due to start around now or should have already started. Not 100% sure though...

hello...
im getting infinity 2 fitted soon.

couple of questions - bt is deffo the only wholesale provider of this right? there's no other companies supplying infinity...right?

the router - is the standard issue BT kit any good? or is it a pile of **** and i need to invest in a good one? and if so...any recommendations? (im sure this questions already been asked, so feel free to give a link to the forum discussion if you can!)

thanks

Cheers for this, must look at wall mounting mine :)

Still have to do it, but after looking at the modem I got to wondering about making a little desk stand for it. Same idea, vertical mounting using the original fixing holes with added benefit of full 360 deg. air circulation. Deffo gonna look into this when I go back to work :)

Used to get 50-60Mbps on my BT Infinity after I had it installed 2-3 months ago, but recently at certain times of the evening, especially around 11pm-12am, it slows to a standstill and I have to reset my HH3.

I'm just wondering if my newsgroup downloading is causing BT to limit my speeds or something? I mean even when I'm not downloading and it's the usual surfing, it randomly slows down at night.

Used to get 50-60Mbps on my BT Infinity after I had it installed 2-3 months ago, but recently at certain times of the evening, especially around 11pm-12am, it slows to a standstill and I have to reset my HH3.

I'm just wondering if my newsgroup downloading is causing BT to limit my speeds or something? I mean even when I'm not downloading and it's the usual surfing, it randomly slows down at night.

It's congestion in certain areas. Just like Virgin Media was awesome until areas became congested and there's not a lot they can do to fix it without spending a shed load re-doing the whole network infrastructure in the area...

Just to check... they mentioned nothing during the ordering about an external box on the outside of my property, but on their website they make mention of it.

I live in a second floor flat. They're on to plums if they're expecting to mount that where the phone line comes in... it comes in at window height from another building 100 metres away.

Is the external box for a higher end type of fibre than what I'm getting?

It's congestion in certain areas. Just like Virgin Media was awesome until areas became congested and there's not a lot they can do to fix it without spending a shed load re-doing the whole network infrastructure in the area...

What a load of nonsense. If he is restarting his HH3 and it's solving the issue, it's definitely not congestion. It's more than likely a fault with his modem or HH3, or the modem is overheating.

The HH3 has issues with ethernet ports, are you connecting via ethernet or wireless?

Googling it should provide you with a lot more info.

I've replaced the HH3 with my old 7800N (which was retired after being nuked by lightning ruining the ADSL bit, but EWAN still works!) and it solved all my periodic slowdown issues.

Just to check... they mentioned nothing during the ordering about an external box on the outside of my property, but on their website they make mention of it.

Is the external box for a higher end type of fibre than what I'm getting?

I think an external box is only required for FTTP (ie, actual fibre). You're more likely to be getting FTTC (ie, VDSL2 over copper) which only 'requires' a faceplate change and even that is arguable.

What a load of nonsense. If he is restarting his HH3 and it's solving the issue, it's definitely not congestion. It's more than likely a fault with his modem or HH3, or the modem is overheating.

It could be both so its not a load of nonsense.

Slow speed at night does not take a lot of deducting over what the cause might be.

Restarting the HH3 has nothing to do with the connection because the modem is still connected. The HH3 just provides the interface between the modem and the computer and the login to BT.

Could be restarting the HH3 reconnects the internet to a different part of the BT network which is less congested.

Recently got "Infinity 2" on the 12th, and i know it takes a few days for my connection speed to stabilize, but how long does this normally take? about 10 days?
I started off with 59mbps, then went down to 47, now i'm at 51 (my line was rated at 51mbps but thats usually conservative) I know its totally normal to get varying speed for a while with a new broadband package as they test for the highest stable speed, but wanted to know how long this often lasts?

Also my ping was an epic 5ms at first, now it's 14ms.

Don't know about you guys, but I've always noticed as soon as the kids start to break up for school holidays, speeds and ping times get worse..

a lot more people on-line all day I guess...the little swine's have to be kept busy somehow I guess.

Back
Top Bottom