BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Why are you moaning about 4Mb/s?

50Mb/s @ 750 meters is great.

Yes it is, but I don't wish to use BT kit, as 2750n has four gigabit ports.
Even the upload is terrible, BT quoted up to 20Mb, & I know I won't get any where near that, but when using Sky Go, it still keeps buffering which is darn annoying.
And as to ping I can only dream of getting 5ms, usually around 25-30ms.:(

Soldato
We had our Infinity installed on Friday (option 2), and these are the speeds we're getting:

2068318778.png

I was hoping it would be a little faster than that. According to Google Maps, we are about 800 metres from the cabinet (that is going via the roads, which I assume the cables do). Given that distance, does that speed seem reasonable, or should I be contacting BT to see if they can improve it?

For reference, with regular ADSL, we were getting about 8.5mb.

is that via wired or wireless though as wired is faster.

Soldato
This is what I can't understand, I borrowed a Asus N56U & got same results.

MilanoChris: About two months ago, had the engineer out several times since but, I'm not happy about performance,& getting tied into another 18 month contract, the BT checker reckons I should get around 54Mb, which is usually a pretty conservative figure.

At the cabinet around 750mtrs away it's showing 79Mb, so I must have a **** line to my pole.

Have you hacked your modem as this will show your connection speed ?

Also I used an old Belkin N1 Vision router and its faster than using HH3 wired and wireless.

Soldato
Varkanoid: No, gave up trying, had so many problems with the last BT modem.
When the engineer came out last time, he replaced it, as it was far too hot, & it kept cutting out.

Tried to find someone local to unlock it for me, no luck though.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I'm 1200m from my cabinet, and have been estimated 53 / 15, so I'd say something isn't right there.

For the record, I've always far exceeded estimates as the whole circuit I am on, was installed brand new last year.

Soldato
I'm 1200m from my cabinet, and have been estimated 53 / 15, so I'd say something isn't right there.

For the record, I've always far exceeded estimates as the whole circuit I am on, was installed brand new last year.

My friends is 1500m from his cabinet (distance confirmed by Exfo and the fact they replaced most of the "D" side) and he gets 26/27/28Mbps so I'd say your estimate is slightly optimistic.

Soldato

Thanks EVH, that's interesting, like to know what others on here get & their distance from the cabinet.

UPDATE: Just been ferreting, got a house barely 60' away & BT checker gives the results of 61.5Mb download & 20.0Mb upload, something is very wrong with my connection.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is there a way to find out what cabinet you are on? I've bought a new house that I'm moving into in October and BT Infinity is in the area but the postcode for the house doesn't register as being Infinity enabled (despite the houses being round the corner from the exchange).

If I can find my cabinet out, is there an order of rollout? All I can find from BT is that it is enabled in my area but nothing else. I;ve spoken on the phone and they cannot explain why my postcode is not avaliable and also when it would be enabled.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

My friends is 1500m from his cabinet (distance confirmed by Exfo and the fact they replaced most of the "D" side) and he gets 26/27/28Mbps so I'd say your estimate is slightly optimistic.

I know for a fact (I was there) that I am on the best conductor and best circuit from the cabinet to my home. 1200m is the distance by the road, which includes a trip around the roundabout, so it's possibly closer by 100-150m or so, but for the sake of the thread I decided to say 1200.

53Mb/s @ 1200m is a little unrealistic.

Possibly. My ADSL2 estimates were 3-6Mb and I synced at 6598kbps, before I went with my new wireless broadand, which is why I'd be inclined to believe their estimate.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
UPDATE: Just been ferreting, got a house barely 60' away & BT checker gives the results of 61.5Mb download & 20.0Mb upload, something is very wrong with my connection.

Might be served by a different cab. There's absolutely nothing wrong with your sync speed (if line length is close to 750m).

Possibly. My ADSL2 estimates were 3-6Mb and I synced at 6598kbps, before I went with my new wireless broadand, which is why I'd be inclined to believe their estimate.

ADSL sync isn't related to VDSL. You're wrong about the distance from cab or there's inaccurate information in the BT database.

EDIT: Ah. I reckon you're much closer than you think.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Probably, I've judged it off the distance by road. I know of one alternate route the cable could take, but until I get a meter on the line I can't prove the distance either way.

My area is affected by severe REIN anyway, hence why I'm no longer on ADSL.

Soldato
My cabinet is FTTC enabled, and according to the uswitch speedtest map people in the surrounding area have Infinity (literally <100m away) yet according to BT I am unable to get it :( Is BTs checker accurate?

Also can anyone tell me why you are required to have a phone line with Infinity? Other providers dont require one...

Back
Top Bottom