BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

It could be both so its not a load of nonsense.

Slow speed at night does not take a lot of deducting over what the cause might be.

Restarting the HH3 has nothing to do with the connection because the modem is still connected. The HH3 just provides the interface between the modem and the computer and the login to BT.

Could be restarting the HH3 reconnects the internet to a different part of the BT network which is less congested.

No it doesn't. As you've even stated yourself, restarting the HH3 does not cause an IP address change or a resync. Hence it is safe to assume that the fault is with the HH3 itself and nothing to do with network congestion.

Restarting the HH3 will cause a change of IP address. The modem only works up to layer 2 as far as the WAN connection is concerned, layer 3 is dealt with by the router. So many posts here full of false and misleading information.

Last edited:
Restarting the HH3 will cause a change of IP address. The modem only works up to layer 2 as far as the WAN connection is concerned, layer 3 is dealt with by the router (unless you're using the modem by itself). So many posts here full of false and misleading information.

I didnt know that.

However I have a different question, if you leave the modem on, but turn off the hh3 does it count from a cabinet point of view as a disconnection?

I didnt know that.

However I have a different question, if you leave the modem on, but turn off the hh3 does it count from a cabinet point of view as a disconnection?

No. The cabinet only deals with layer 2, as such, it doesn't care what happens at the layers above it. The BRAS is the first IP device you hit on the way to the ISP network (it's also the RADIUS server). Whether they are in the exchange or in the ISP data center though I don't know.

Last edited:
2072673950.png

Bonded FTTC. :)

looking to replace my parents home hub as they are having issues with the router locking up. Am I right in thinking that any cable router that supports PPPoE will work?

Looking to keeps costs down to a minimum as I know I'll end up paying for it :rolleyes:

So I've just checked BT to see if any updates have come available for my exchange/area for fiber optic broadband and it's saying I can get 17MB broadband but I'm sure I've only ever been able to get 5.5MB with ADSL2+ (which is what I have now with another company).

Here is what Samknows says:

BT ADSL broadband availability

You are connected to the Dudley telephone exchange.

ADSL is available in your area
Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL Max services
Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL2+ services

According to BT Wholesale, your phone line should be able to support

up to 2Mbps via ADSL
7.5Mbps or greater ADSL connection via ADSL Max
17Mbps or greater via ADSL2+
Standard ADSL RAG results

You can receive 2Mbps ADSL
You can receive 1Mbps ADSL
You can receive 512kbps ADSL
You can receive 256kbps ADSL

So what's going on, has my exchange been updated or something or am I not really going to get 17MB all of a sudden? :confused:

EDIT: ICUK's website is now saying:

21CN ADSL 2+ Available 17.0 (0.9)
21CN Annex M Available 17.0 (1.5)
Cable & Wireless LLU ADSL 2+ Available 17.0 (0.9)

I swear that was 5.5MB a few weeks ago?

Last edited:
Use the BT wholesale checker.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 17Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 10Mbps and 19.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1.5Mbps and downstream line speed of 17Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 10Mbps and 19.5Mbps.

Wow, after years of having average broadband speeds I can now actually get a good speed!?

If my line is capable of this howcome I'm only getting 5.5MB still (using ADSL2+ line & router)?

Do I need to phone my ISP and ask them to do something to activate the new speeds?

Back
Top Bottom