BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

That's the BT Infinity number which now has a recorded message confirming a "major fault". People from the south west, Wales, West Midlands, Derbyshire and as we head into the evening people from the Manchester area all reporting problems since lunchtime.

EDIT -

BT have updated their status page again. It now includes the areas I mentioned before.

yea thanks,

seems to be a bit better now

I'm in Manchester (M33) and my infinity is fine. :)
I must be stealing all the bandwidth. :p

I did have some problems yesterday around lunchtime, but a modem reboot sorted it out. In fact my speeds have increased slightly from 60/12 to 64/15.

I only just started looking at infinity and the checker now says December for my area. I may well make the switch when that time comes as i'd rather have 80/20 than virgin's 100/10.

Is 20 up going to be the max for the foreseeable future for them or do they have plans to increase it? It doesn't matter one way or the other as i can't see Virgin upping theirs any time soon but i am curious.

In which case I'd suggest a second hand DIR 655.

Hi and thanks for the reply, i would rather buy a brand new router if possible, i seen the Asus RT-N12-C1 N300 Black Diamond Router

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=NW-056-AS&groupid=46&catid=1596&subcat=

But it has no reviews on OCUK, not sure if this router will any good,BT have it for sale in the online shop also.

Not sure if anyone here has used this router?

EDIT: Was also looking at this : http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=NW-060-TP&groupid=46&catid=1596&subcat=

Though i cant see if either supports VDSL

Last edited:
I went for this one:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=NW-028-AS

It is a good looking router and also comes highly rated. My experience is that it isn't quite as easy to get up and running as others claim.
I went through a frustrating day of just not being able to get the thing to see my Infinity connection - so I left it a week, went back to it and now all works fine.
There are other little "niggles" - had to hunt high and low on how to get my Vodafone Sure Signal to work with it.
Saying all that, the ASUS routers do appear to be nice pieces of kit and the wirless capabilities of them seem flawless.

Hi Stoffa, should have mentioned my budget is max £50 that is the problem.

I just want to know really if the 2 routers ive listed are Infinity compatible, i cant seem to find any details regarding VDSL or PPOE

Last edited:
Hi Stoffa, should have mentioned my budget is max £50 that is the problem.

I just want to know really if the 2 routers ive listed are Infinity compatible, i cant seem to find any details regarding VDSL or PPOE

They will both work.

With Infinity you have a modem, which then you plug into your router.

You've bought (and therefore can afford) a high end internet connection, so why do you want to team it with a **** router?

Do you have the 80/20 product? If so then you would be daft to get anything other than a high end router.

Back
Top Bottom