BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Simply because i have no more money than £50, ive mentioned this twice in the thread.

Just because im paying £26 a month for a connection, does not automatically make me able to fork out £80 for the Asus RT-N56U???, the D Link 655 is also around £70, at present i cant afford no more than £50, end of.

If i had more money of course i would buy the RT-N56U

Ive got the info i need now, thanks all for you input.

Last edited:
Aren't all of the "end of quarter" dates simply that - a holding date that then gets rolled onto the next quarter?
So any date which is:

March
June
September
December

Is just a holding date. I'm sure some exchanges happen to be updated at the end of a quarter, but general opinion seems to be you really want to see a month which isn't an end of a quarter and then your "on the road" so to speak.

Da[]San;22404208 said:
The checker shows Infinity will be enabled by 30th Sept 2012, from experience roughly what timeframe am I looking at to get a new order in and then get FTTC setup? Thanks

the best indication is when a big green box appears next to your normal green box and you know things are moving then

How easy is it to get new cable laid off BT? My FTTC service is so poor, they say i'm capable of getting 2.5 - 4mb, i don't get anywhere near that, i get 0.5. I did have 2.5 the other week, but it only last a few days, apart from that it's always 0.5. Does that mean the cable is capable of pulling that speed and bt are just throttling my service or something? I'm getting really ticked off, i actually can't function without a half decent connection.

I live in the middle of nowhere, the exchange is 6 miles away but we have a little green box about 100m away at the bottom of the drive. This is obviously the box that services the house next to me and the farm, is that correct? I will actually climb up the telephones lines and fit the cable myself if someone could tell me which cable to buy...no joke, i'll do it! Might get electrocuted though. hmmmm

How easy is it to get new cable laid off BT? My FTTC service is so poor, they say i'm capable of getting 2.5 - 4mb, i don't get anywhere near that, i get 0.5. I did have 2.5 the other week, but it only last a few days, apart from that it's always 0.5. Does that mean the cable is capable of pulling that speed and bt are just throttling my service or something? I'm getting really ticked off, i actually can't function without a half decent connection.

Are you talking megabits or megabytes?

Run the test @ http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ (Java).

Does the green cabinet have vents on it and look similar to this?

original

If not, it's not an Infinity cab, and judging your location by what you've posted, I'd say it isn't one.

Interesting for those who are waiting for BT Infinity:

http://www.urbanhaze.com/2012/07/bt-infinity-and-the-asa/

This guy complained to the ASA that the dates provided by BT were misleading as they constantly were getting pushed back 3 months for nearly 2 years for him.

The ASA agreed and BT will now have to change their dating mechanism.

I don't know if this has been implemented by them yet.

Mine still says the 30th September so I wonder if this is now correct (i.e. some time before the 30th). Interested to see if anyone's has changed?

I'm having a polite row with BT about my fttc speed, originally got 40/5, then with Infinity 2 BT quoted up to 54/20, I'm getting 42/5.

Been try to get BT to move me to another pole which is closer :(, it's from same cabinet, but would reduce my distance from 750mtrs to 325mtrs to my cabinet, & BT speed estimated at 66/20.

Emails having been flying back & forth all week, with little progress other than they agree speed is a little slow compared to what it should be.:(

Interesting for those who are waiting for BT Infinity:

http://www.urbanhaze.com/2012/07/bt-infinity-and-the-asa/

This guy complained to the ASA that the dates provided by BT were misleading as they constantly were getting pushed back 3 months for nearly 2 years for him.

The ASA agreed and BT will now have to change their dating mechanism.

I don't know if this has been implemented by them yet.

Mine still says the 30th September so I wonder if this is now correct (i.e. some time before the 30th). Interested to see if anyone's has changed?

I don't really see how this will change anything considering literally every availability resource already states that "all dates are indicative and subject to change" or similar. The quarterly dates are place holders, plain and simple. If you know where your cabinet is (it's not too hard to get an idea if you take a quick walk around your area), checking to see whether any work is going on would give you an idea as to whether the date is actually accurate or just there to show you that your cabinet hasn't been forgotten about. If a RFS date was announced, missed, then taken away until a more accurate date could be published, people like this would literally **** themselves thinking that it's no longer going to be available and kick up an even bigger stink.

As it stands nothing has changed with any advertising so if your number is still giving a date of 30th September then this is the predicted RFS date and is the date from which you should be able to order FTTC. Of course, as the article (point C) (and pretty much every other existing resource already) states, this date is subject to change if any unforeseen delays occur. It would blow your mind if you knew some of the crazy things which caused these delays and might cause this "UrbanHaze" guy to think twice before throwing his rattle out of his pram.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom