BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

No problem mate. There could be more available now but I've not really looked in a long while.

The Huawei modem seems fine for my needs although I didn't even open the Homehub packaging and used my own PPPoE router instead.

Well, I'm still having issues fttc like getting 0.01Mb upload on & off the past two weeks, & I am no closer to getting it resolved.
Today we received another email from BT, & I quote the following.

'Thanks for your email. We can’t change the line from one pole to another. I’ve raised a fault on your account to get the upload issue looked into. These type of problems are generally caused on the internal setup so can you please double check the connections. Try running a defrag on your computer (a google search will show you how). If you’re certain you’ve carried out all the internal checks then I think the next step will be an engineer visit but if he finds the issue is caused by a problem at your end a call out fee of £99 will apply'.

Lost for words when I read it, have tried two lappys , & two other pc's, still similar results with fttc,not sure what to do next.

Dumped all the BT kit & using a 2750n, some improvement, in less frequent disconnections, but upload still not right.

Last edited:
I can barely tolerate support at the best of times, but a defrag for ****s sakes? I'd write to their CEO and ask them if they think telling customers to do a defrag is their attempt at humour, that you're offended by their support, and you want compensation for your time, and a reimbursement for the time you've not had service.

Sir Michael Rake is the highest paid one of those three - in reality as long as you write to a named board member then it usually has the same level of success. Some people say you shouldn't write to the top dog, but the second or third top since they'll still be very high up but get hardly any mail. I can see some sense in that, however my experience in my company is that all named executive complaints go into the same pool.

Edit : Rake's take might also because he's board in a couple of other places - he's raking it in.

Ian Livingstone as the contact you've had so far, and the pathetic reply, has been with BT Retail.

Thanks Griff.

Being moved 60' to another pole will see me getting around 62Mb+ compared to 40Mb download I struggle to get now, it the same cabinet, but a considerable shorter distance.

The Halk: I never bother with minnows, I always start at the top.

Last edited:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19057875

The government's broadband strategy risks leaving many communities behind by focusing on speed over reach of service, a Lords committee has warned.

Cant say I disagree! over the past 5 year we have seen the fastest connections get faster first. Those who were the frist to get ADSL got ADSL2+ then Infinity then Infinity 2
They have probably went from 4-8-24-40-80mb in a relatively short period of time

However there are those like myself, far from the exchange destined to be on a 3mb line forever because its not an easy hit for BT to finish upgrading the cab. Theyd rather move onto another exchange and do the first 10 again

Liv Garfield, chief executive of BT Open Reach, said she was "surprised" that the report was so critical.

"If you look at it across Europe, we have fantastic coverage, we are the most competitive market and we're seen by many other countries as being the people to follow in terms of broadband access," she said

Joke response!

Last edited:
I'm going to email her and let her know exactly why the report is so critical. Enabling an exchange, doing the easiest cabinets and then moving on to the next one (claiming victory in the process via press releases on the number of exchanges enabled) is not what other countries are looking up to follow!

Had mine installed yesterday and I must say I'm quite impressed, not quite the 80Mb Infinity promises, but 50-60Mbit isn't too shabby, I download at 5.9-6.3MB\s which is great compared to my old 20Mbit VM.

Thought I'd throw this in here, I've just got Infinity, and I've been using student accommodation at 2mb for the past 2 years. I don't seem to be getting anywhere near the speed I was expecting, downloading at around 1mb/s at the most currently. They said I would get around 50mb/s and I would have thought that would be closer to a 5mb/s download? Any advice or is this pretty normal? Cheers for any help chaps.

Just read something on there about the powerline adapter, saying that you shouldn't use them, any idea how much of an effect this will have on connections? I asked the guy when he was installing and he said that it shouldn't have any, and although I was dubious I was just glad to be improving from my 2mb net.

It shouldn't have much effect all but BT like to find anything they can to blame before they accept their service is at fault hence you'll see them warning you not to carry out tests over network adapters or wireless.

Perform the test anyway as it's the IP Profile as much as the actual result that's of importance.

Back
Top Bottom