BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Lol. Yeah I think it could be the network card in this Laptop as it's horrendous, I didn't even think to be honest. Plugged it in via ethernet, download speed went to about 20~ then blasted up over 100 and finished and gave an average of mid 34mb. Upload was the same. Thanks very much, I guess I'll probably get the new PC wired up :p

Should always use a wired (direct ethernet not powerline) connection for speed testing :)

Powerline connections are generally good (better than wireless) however as connections get faster they are more likely to become the bottleneck, I have a crappy ADSL connection so makes no difference but if I had a proper connection (cable, FTTC) I'd go back to proper ethernet.

Also worth noting that powerline does add a few ms of latency, around 4ms for me, YMMV.

I think my bottleneck is this laptop (That's about to be upgraded thank the lords) that I've used for my time at Uni, cost me £230 3 years ago and it's been terrible since day one. It's currently used for browsing, because it won't even run Skype without crashing, if I open more than 3 tabs I'm pushing it's limits. So yeah, it's horrible.

How easy is it to get your line profile reset? I bought a new Asus router and I don't get near the speeds I was estimated when I signed up so wondering if I could have it reset and see if it gets any better.

How easy is it to get your line profile reset? I bought a new Asus router and I don't get near the speeds I was estimated when I signed up so wondering if I could have it reset and see if it gets any better.

Very hard, I've been emailing a mod back and too for over a month trying to get mine reset (lying to me, making up line stats for my line when I can clearly see them myself).

It is possible they just won't do it.:mad:

Last edited:
Very hard, I've been emailing a mod back and too for over a month trying to get mine reset (lying to me, making up line stats for my line when I can clearly see them myself).

SNAP!

Same here emails flying back & forth to a mod, got nowhere, I written to Ian Livingston CEO, BT this morning.

I had the engineer reset my profile some time ago, took him ages to get the them to do it at the exchange.

Last edited:
Private torrent sites.

I do use private torrent sites but the speed is still massively throttled, if you've found some sites that some how bypass this please share the info!

Utorrent is setup to force encryption but prior to 12am my speeds are absolutely awful, that's on a 72mg connection too.

Well that sucks. I might get on their message boards then and say I'm not getting near the estimated speeds. Did I read that if you get 10Mb lower than your estimated that it means they are not giving you the service you paid for? Or does it only have to be higher than 10Mb? Only I was estimated 44Mb and I get 30Mb.

I do use private torrent sites but the speed is still massively throttled, if you've found some sites that some how bypass this please share the info!

Do you have encryption set to forced and legacy connections disabled?

Do you have encryption set to forced and legacy connections disabled?

I'm a firm believer that all these settings make no difference whatsoever and it's simply hit and miss whether or not you find P2P throttled during the day.

Purely as test I've installed uTorrent and left the settings at default. Some days I'm not throttled and others I am throttled. Others have had similar results.

Back
Top Bottom