BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

My patience is failing fast with BT, been having issues with FTTC lately.

Been getting 0.01Mbps upload on several occasions during the last two weeks, raise a ticket with BT, & got an email saying 'The connection is running within acceptable limits as set by our suppliers'.

Lost for words when I read that this morning, is it worth while taking the complaint further, but who to complain to.

Last edited:
My patience is failing fast with BT, been having issues with FTTC lately.

Been getting 0.01Mbps upload on several occasions during the last two weeks, raise a ticket with BT, & got an email saying 'The connection is running within acceptable limits as set by our suppliers'.

Lost for words when I read that this morning, is it worth while taking the complaint further, but who to complain to.

get on the phone

supervisor/managers of depts

I knew of several people who hopped from the Combe down exchange to Kingsmead just to get fttc, one house had two lines, one Kingsmead & other Combe down, due to which pole they were using.:eek:

That's very interesting, will look into that! Unfortunately for wiring (but good for aesthetics) our road all has buried cables rather than poles so it might be a bit more work...

That's very interesting, will look into that! Unfortunately for wiring (but good for aesthetics) our road all has buried cables rather than poles so it might be a bit more work...

Most likely expensive.

I'm having problems with fttc here, there are two poles, the front one which I'm on gives 40Mb on a good day, the one in the rear garden would give me around 62Mb+, both served by same cabinet, but it's proving extremely difficult getting moved.

So it turns out that it's BT's speed test "at fault", and speedtest.net and the java speedtest - which showed nothing new, now that it finally works.

If I start enough threads in an upload I can hit 19Mbit.

I can't answer why BT can't give me a decent speed even in a single thread to what should be their own internal server, but if I ever need to do a large upload for some reason then I'll just multithread it.

With ADSL* the DSLAM/MSAN is located in the exchange so any line stats will be from your modem to the exchange. This could be a few hundred yards to a few miles.

With FTTC/VDSL2 the DSLAM is located in the cabinet (the new cabinets popping up alongside the existing PCP's) so it's not practical to try and make any interpretations of potential speed based on ADSL* line stats.

I think I'll hang off and see. I'm with BT for the next 18 months, but by the time that's ended there might be more available. There's not much benefit really by changing to an all in one device, and I don't want to have it be useless in 18 months time when I have to use someone else's hardware.

In 18 months I'll either opt to stay with BT or switch to someone else, and by then there will be a wider variety of routers with built in support around.

Thanks though Griff.

Back
Top Bottom