BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Nope, browsing speed would be effected only by latency once you get to a certain speed.

My old 18Mbit BeThere line was snappier for browsing than my 70Mbit BT line.

The upgrade from 40 to 80 doesn't require an engineer visit.

The contract will be extended by 18 months.

The last few months my BT fiber line has been getting worse and worse. It has reached the point where I am getting 10kbyte a second from some servers at certain times of the day. I only know this because I have been off for a week and used it most of the day. There has been several occasions over the last week where my internet appears to be throttled and stops responding on ssh. Only another year left on the contract.

I seem to have fixed it. Messed about with the order things were connected several times, swapped out the switch, still no success with the router connected.

However when I put things back together, then everything seems to work properly now.
bt_fixed.png

I can get slightly faster speeds if I connect the modem directly to the PC, or if I connect it to the switch and the switch to the PC.

BT's router isn't great, but it'll do I think.

I am currently redesigning my network with power plugs so I am going to ditch the BT HH3 and connect a power plug directly to the FTTC modem with WiFi Wireless-N power plugs located in a few different rooms. Should give 100% signal everywhere.

I am currently redesigning my network with power plugs so I am going to ditch the BT HH3 and connect a power plug directly to the FTTC modem with WiFi Wireless-N power plugs located in a few different rooms. Should give 100% signal everywhere.

How are you going to connect multiple devices via that method? Without a router you'll be restricted to a single PPPoE connection on one device.

How are you going to connect multiple devices via that method? Without a router you'll be restricted to a single PPPoE connection on one device.

oh :( hm then I guess I won't be able to do this then, time for a rethink. I missed this. Will leave the router in place for now.

I may have to purchase a new FTTC router so it's just one device. Not too sure yet.

Last edited:
Windows can act as a software router I thought - or at least share the connection. However it's not ideal and would require that PC to be always on.

I keep thinking back to the Vigor 2750n. It'd get rid of my problems forever. I think I'll end up doing nothing and in 18 months seeing what's on the market... by then there should be many more, cheaper, routers with VDSL modems inside.

My exchange has been listed for FTTC in 2013, get in! I know it's a long way away but I went from 100Mb cable, to a slightly dodgy 7Mb ADSL connection. So it can't be done quick enough.

Windows can act as a software router I thought - or at least share the connection. However it's not ideal and would require that PC to be always on.

True. You could create a PPPoE connection on your main PC but then you've got to faff about with ICS and it sounds like the other guy wants to use wireless which just adds to the problem. Plus as you say you'd need to leave the PC on 24/7.

I want only a FTTC modem/router with no WiFi that connects and dishes out DHCP addresses. I suppose I could just turn off the WiFi but that is paying for a feature that wouldn't get used as the WiFi would be served by the WiFi Wireless-N Power Plugs.

Back
Top Bottom