BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

2108150773.png

Had infinity installed on the 28th, these have been the normal speeds for most of that time...meant to be ~60Mb/s down :(

Might root out an ethernet cable and see what I get then.

If you are connecting at 54g, then that's the best you are going to get :) Ethernet all the way! :D

Hmmm, had one day in the past week where I was getting near 40Mb/s down...would be happy if it was there :D

Think I'll have to invest in some Powerline thingys...now to find some empty plug sockets :o

Hmmm, had one day in the past week where I was getting near 40Mb/s down...would be happy if it was there :D

Think I'll have to invest in some Powerline thingys...now to find some empty plug sockets :o

Some of the powerline thingys have a passthrough so you can still use the plug :)

Just got off the phone with BT...did a speedtest with the guy on the phone before changing the channels and got 44Mb/s (which is double what i've been getting). Go through some other channels and they're all poo, so go back to the original and end the call....do a speed test now and I'm getting under 20 again :o

Why couldn't it be crap when he was on the phone :p

Not all N is the same - there's things like the number of antennas and spatial streams that it can support which all have a bearing on the final speeds. The Home Hub isn't great, but there's a lot of awful Wi-Fi adapters out there as well. I've seen Sony laptops that can only run at 65Mbps, and a Lenovo Nettop thing that topped out at 2Mbps, all with Wireless N cards in.

The specs for mine say its capable of up to 300mbps, or is that just them saying it could do...but it wont? :o

Think I'll have a look at some powerline adapters this week though, seems like it'll be the better option in the long run.

The specs for mine say its capable of up to 300mbps, or is that just them saying it could do...but it wont? :o

Think I'll have a look at some powerline adapters this week though, seems like it'll be the better option in the long run.

300mbps N is applicable if you're running on the 5Ghz band. Which generaly you have to get a decent router to get. The homehub certainly won't support it.
It's perfectly possible to get 95% of the performance of Infinity over Wifi, you just have to be prepared to shell out for a better router. Get one that has dual radios, one for 5GHz and one for 2.4Ghz (otherwise your phones/other devices that don't support 5Ghz will drag it back down to 2.4Ghz anyway) and you'll be laughing.
I backup wirelessly over my 5Ghz N Wifi network and get 120 megabits/second up/down without an issue. (although I should mention that is being in the same room as the router I use, obviously it will degrade with distance).

In the end though, if you're not moving around that much, and you have decent power wiring, give the powerline adapters a shot. Or, use the power line adapters to have two APs at opposite ends of the house that both support 5Ghz/2.4Ghz and live in wireless heaven :D

does anyone know the commands to show you line stats in putty did try

xdslcmd info --show not working tho this is in putty with modem unlocked

its ok had to use sh first

anyway i can check if the line is on interleaving or fastpath?

Last edited:
300mbps N is applicable if you're running on the 5Ghz band. Which generaly you have to get a decent router to get. The homehub certainly won't support it.
It's perfectly possible to get 95% of the performance of Infinity over Wifi, you just have to be prepared to shell out for a better router. Get one that has dual radios, one for 5GHz and one for 2.4Ghz (otherwise your phones/other devices that don't support 5Ghz will drag it back down to 2.4Ghz anyway) and you'll be laughing.
I backup wirelessly over my 5Ghz N Wifi network and get 120 megabits/second up/down without an issue. (although I should mention that is being in the same room as the router I use, obviously it will degrade with distance).

In the end though, if you're not moving around that much, and you have decent power wiring, give the powerline adapters a shot. Or, use the power line adapters to have two APs at opposite ends of the house that both support 5Ghz/2.4Ghz and live in wireless heaven :D

Ah right, thanks for the advice :D

Will have to look more into these powerline adapters, will give me a reason to finally sort out the nest of wires I have round the back of my desk I suppose :p

A note to everyone thinking of getting Powerline adaptors.
Powerline adaptors will max out at about 30% of their claimed speed, because they're not duplex and overheads from encryption and error correction.
ie 200mbps adaptors will max out at around 60mbps

Back
Top Bottom