BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

The 'best' when I looked seemed to be the Draytek Vigor 2750n. The others are more expensive, or at least the ones I found are.

Normal routers with ASDL modems are dirt cheap, so perhaps in time "VDSL routers" will end up there too.

I'm not sue I'm using the correct term to describe them, but I've never seen a list of them online to make it easy to compare, they're pretty new and high end though.

Edit : I'd forget the wifi plugs and get a very good wireless router and some kind of access point elsewhere in the house. I think you'd get better coverage and far less problems.

Hmmm I am looking through the manual for the HG612, which is a Huawei device from BT and it supports a couple of methods.

Check out the manual;
http://sdrv.ms/MdpchO (BT VDSL FTTC)

I already unlocked this modem from before so might have a play with it as I know that you can enter a username and password on other devices to get them to connect. This FTTC modem/router also has NAT and can dish out DHCP addresses.

I'm fairly convinced this should work as just a wired modem/router.

Last edited:
To make sure I understand correctly... what I think is just an Openreach modem is actually a modem and (very basic) router without wireless and with only one gigabit port?

Meaning I could attack it to a gigabit switch and attach a wireless access point somewhere and I'd replace the BT router?

I'm not going to do it, I just want to check my understanding.

Wonder if you guys could perhaps give me an idea of how quick the turnaround was from work being done in your street to FTTC going live for you.

Originally the samknows website had my exchange listed as early September for its RFS date but this has since been put back to 31/12/12. Strangely though the new cabinet has been installed in my street (2 doors down) and I asked the engineers if it was indeed for FTTC and they confirmed it was.

So is the RFS date not always to be trusted?

One final question: Is there any LLU with FTTC or is BT Infinity the only option for now?

Here for you all is the settings and proof it works.

First unlock your HG612 modem. username: admin, password: admin

1) Enable DHCP on modem/router:

2) Disable Bridge/DHCP;

3) Create NEW connection /with:
PPPoE username: [email protected]
PPPoE password: anything (I used BT)

13639757.png

84164073.png

DHCP Successful;
32270234.png

VDSL2 Connection Successful;
36469316.png

Last edited:
Here's where my knowledge falls apart.

Let's say I unlock my modem and set it to be a router. I plug it into a gigabit switch. I also attach a wireless access point in a couple of spots in my home.

Does the modem have to process all network traffic? E.g. will the 1gigabit traffic between two PCs bog down the modem or will it be fine?

In other words will it be a good router, assuming I use a switch and wireless access points?

The gigabit switch will do all the traffic unless it goes out to the Internet. Depends on your network config really.

The traffic won't effect the modem because you have a switch between.

To make sure I understand correctly... what I think is just an Openreach modem is actually a modem and (very basic) router without wireless and with only one gigabit port?

Meaning I could attack it to a gigabit switch and attach a wireless access point somewhere and I'd replace the BT router?

I'm not going to do it, I just want to check my understanding.

100Mb/s port not gigabit, I don't need file transfer between computers I wanted a bigger WiFi range using Home Plugs and a wired modem/router (I never knew this BT Openreach Modem could be used as VDSL/FTTC modem only).

I suppose your not meant to unlock it and use it like this but meh. lol.

Edit : I'd forget the wifi plugs and get a very good wireless router and some kind of access point elsewhere in the house. I think you'd get better coverage and far less problems.

What I didn't mention is the rest of my network config, basically I will be getting 2 WiFi Home Plugs (1 for the middle of one house, and 1 for the middle of another). Same SSID's, Same Passwords, Same Network. This is over 2 houses BTW. Ethernet through the walls sharing 1 connection wired and wireless.

I already have the holes/ethernet connections drilled and configured. ha! I was bored. :/

Last edited:
Right, so I've had Infinity 2 for about three weeks now. The BT engineer ran a speedtest on the day it was installed, I've kind of refrained from doing one until I knew the line was nice and stable.
A week in I replaced the HH3 with an ASUS RT-N56U. So with my local network nice and quiet I've just run myself another test - which will hopefully be my "Stabilised Speed"

I've got around a 9mb increase in the download, upload has more or less stayed the same. Ping on the very first test was 13ms, so no real changes there.
Must say I'm happy with that - really didn't know what the infrastructure was like in my neck of the woods.

The gigabit switch will do all the traffic unless it goes out to the Internet. Depends on your network config really.

The traffic won't effect the modem because you have a switch between.

100Mb/s port not gigabit, I don't need file transfer between computers I wanted a bigger WiFi range using Home Plugs and a wired modem/router (I never knew this BT Openreach Modem could be used as VDSL/FTTC modem only).

I suppose your not meant to unlock it and use it like this but meh. lol.

What I didn't mention is the rest of my network config, basically I will be getting 2 WiFi Home Plugs (1 for the middle of one house, and 1 for the middle of another). Same SSID's, Same Passwords, Same Network. This is over 2 houses BTW. Ethernet through the walls sharing 1 connection wired and wireless.

I already have the holes/ethernet connections drilled and configured. ha! I was bored. :/

Well, that explains the homeplugs.

Thanks for confirming what I wasn't sure on routers... that means the router will have absolutely no impact on the performance of the rest of the network. The connection between it and the switch would make no odds either since the traffic doesn't go up it.

Back
Top Bottom