BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Yes

picfttc.jpg

A = My House
Red Dot = FTTC Cab

EMCHATT

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EMCHATT

Last edited:
Had it installed this morning, was getting 72Mbit... which has now tanked to 30. It's up and down like a yoyo.

Soon as I start actually using it, seems to trip up.

I'm not sure if it's the Asus RT 56U router playing up or at BT's end.

Doing my head in.

Mine is still stable at same speeds as before altho im hoping they can improve my upload speed a tad altho how is another question.

Does anyone know how to find out sync speeds or is it all hidden in this white bt modem?

Last edited:
Gone back to the old 1.0.1.8b firmware and now the line doesn't drop to half the speed.

Either was some sort of coincidence or this Asus RT56 can no longer do the job.

What else is there? Is there a better router?

Give it time if you only had it installed. The first few days my speeds went crazy, even dropping to as low as 4mb for a good couple of days. This is due to the line testing they're doing to find the best speeds for you. After 10 days, the tesing will be done and you can use whatever router you want.

I'm in Chatteris too!! I've been installed for about 6 weeks now.
I couldn't believe it when I first heard that they only enable certain cabinets on any given exchange - I just assumed that once an exchange had it then everyone on that exchange would have it over the next month or so.

The only glimmer here is that once you are connected, it's nice and fast in this neck of the woods.

I too was on TalkTalk LLU. In fact to keep things easy I was tempted to stay with them for fibre. However they just wouldn't talk to me on my terms - refusing to answer my emails and then calling me at 7:00pm!
So I ordered the whole package from BT - I didn't even need to contact TalkTalk, they did everything for me.
Ordering a new line from BT - well only if they can guarantee it would be connected to a fibre cabinet.

just got Talk talk fibre.

was paying £3.25 for up to 10 mb (had 3mb) and unlimited download. Just bolted on the cheapest Fibre package (capped upload and up to 40mb) for £10

they quoted me 24mb but im getting 40mb at the moment. Upload is capped at just 2mb though but that should still be enough i hope

Last edited:
Mine is still stable at same speeds as before altho im hoping they can improve my upload speed a tad altho how is another question.

Does anyone know how to find out sync speeds or is it all hidden in this white bt modem?

It's in the white BT modem but it's relatively easy to unlock and view the stats.
See: http://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com/about/

I have a shell script that outputs the numbers into Cacti if you're a graphing fan.

Yay fellow Chatteris dweller :)

I know it's really annoying, I'm currently using a Talk Talk LLU line, would ordering a new line from BT make any difference!

2 other Chatteris dwellers on OCUK who'd a thought it. Wasn't aware it was so limited I'm in Whitemill Rd and have had FTTC since February when I moved in, although recently I've seen the sync speed drop from over 100Mbps to 88, hoping it doesn't go any lower and actually reduce my real speed!

Back
Top Bottom