BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

It was all going so well, then lightning hit a house 50m down the road and blew the roof off. Currently I have a fried Openreach modem, a cooked VDSL filter faceplate, a dead AirPort Extreme, a dead port on an HP ProCurve, and a dead Microserver. Not happy.

An APC ProtectNet is on the way :(

I want fibre real bad but some questions please help:

1.Do i need a MAC code? i am coming from BE or do i just order and BT sort it all? (i am using a BT landline aswell)
2.I can order 100mb package but says line estimate speeds are 63.5/20 so it will be best getting the 76mb one? (unless the estimate is inaccurate)
3.How you guys finding BT infinity?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I want fibre real bad but some questions please help:

1.Do i need a MAC code? i am coming from BE or do i just order and BT sort it all? (i am using a BT landline aswell)
2.I can order 100mb package but says line estimate speeds are 63.5/20 so it will be best getting the 76mb one? (unless the estimate is inaccurate)
3.How you guys finding BT infinity?

Thanks.

1. If your BE connection is an LLU one (Not aware of the ISP, so don't know) then no. BT will sort everything out for you. I moved from TalkTalk and I made one call to BT, they contacted TalkTalk and got everything moving.
If it's one BT reseller to another, then a MAC would be needed.

2. Might be worth getting the 100mb connection put in. If you get speeds greater than 75mb then keep it. If not speak to BT and explain the issue. Say you're paying for 100mb but only getting speeds less than the next package down, be very surprised if they wouldn't sort that for you.

3. Excellent. Not seen any downtime yet. My line is nice and stable at 74mb/18mb and it shows. Nice fast downloads, online gaming a joy.
I'm on a fibre connection now and I never want to go back.

100Mb/s package is FTTP. It doesn't come with a speed estimate. FTTP probably isn't available to you.

HeadRat: Another link for you, see what you get for your postcode.

http://fttc-check.alc.im/

Very handy link that one....well up until I check my postcode and get

FTTCChecker.jpg

Oh joy........

http://fttc-check.alc.im/results.php?postcode=TS269AE

Im looking for a new Broadband provider now and so far Sky and BT are looking like the best options,

With SKY i can get 40mb download, 2up and the cheapest phone plan possible for £32 + £60 in one off charges =/

With BT i can get the infinity 2 service up to 76mb down, up to 19 upload with cheapest phone plan for £34 with no extra charges

Im not saying i'll get these speeds (on my virgin line i was getting 14mb max on a 20mb connection until they dropped it back to a 10mb with a average of 9.8mb speed) but which would be the better service primarily for gaming and a fair bit of movie downloading.

Last edited:
ah i wondered why that wasn't on there price plans page but then it becomes a lot more expensive that BT as your already paying install charges then extra for more MB speeds.. i'll go with who ever doesn't throttle me the most for downloading a lot and gives a good connection for games low ping etc...

http://fttc-check.alc.im/results.php?postcode=TS269AE

Im looking for a new Broadband provider now and so far Sky and BT are looking like the best options,

With SKY i can get 40mb download, 2up and the cheapest phone plan possible for £32 + £60 in one off charges =/

With BT i can get the infinity 2 service up to 76mb down, up to 19 upload with cheapest phone plan for £34 with no extra charges

Im not saying i'll get these speeds (on my virgin line i was getting 14mb max on a 20mb connection until they dropped it back to a 10mb with a average of 9.8mb speed) but which would be the better service primarily for gaming and a fair bit of movie downloading.

Sky give 10mb upload as standard. Is there any reason as to why you'd only get 2mb?

Got it the other way around here :( my cabinet was made ready for fibre at the end of July but due to the weather, olympics, etc. the exchange isn't being finalised til the end of December :(

Back
Top Bottom