BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Go look for them. They look like this:

original

They come in different sizes, but the give away are the breathing fins on it.

Hi. Mine is not like that at all. There are no vents on it, yet it is enabled for FTTC. This is what the FTTC checker gets me

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

yet there are no vents on box 38 at all...

I should add that at the moment I am with talk talk business ADSL (I was with Nildram residential before, but got bought by Opal and then Talk Talk) and I am getting ridiculus speeds of 4mbit down and 512kbit up. BT wholesale predicts I will be able to get 68mbit and 20mbit with Infinity 2 (so do other companies' checkers) but as you can see from the screenshot earlier, my predicted uplift will bring me nowhere near this. What do you reckon is going on here?

the predictions are based on almost nothing at all, if you do a prediction on what you'd get on ADSL what does it come up with (compared to what you actually get)

the prediction only really takes in to account distance, not the actual quality of line between you and the cabinet - if your line is crap then you still won't get the predicted amount regardless of what they do at the cabinet

the predictions are based on almost nothing at all, if you do a prediction on what you'd get on ADSL what does it come up with (compared to what you actually get)

the prediction only really takes in to account distance, not the actual quality of line between you and the cabinet - if your line is crap then you still won't get the predicted amount regardless of what they do at the cabinet

ADSL prediction indicates that my line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 8Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 5.5Mbps and 12.5Mbps.

I am getting this right now

This is obviously not good enough, but I suspect this is because my account was with Nildram, who was then inherited by Opal, who then got bought by Talk Talk, and for some reason they have me down as a business. I am hoping that with fibre I shall be looking at much better speeds. Maybe not the projected 68, but hopefully over 50...

By the way, my ping of 47ms cannot help much. I am hoping that when they switch me to fibre at the cabinet this will become much better...

Last edited:
Can you take a pic?

I will give it a go later today. It is worth mentioning that right next to box 38 is an unumbered box (looks brand new) with lots of vents! Maybe they still call this box 38, I do not know...

OK. Here they are

P.S: my home is just 150 metres from the box...

Last edited:
I will give it a go later today. It is worth mentioning that right next to box 38 is an unumbered box (looks brand new) with lots of vents! Maybe they still call this box 38, I do not know...

Box 38 is where your line goes, then it splits into the fibre box (funnily enough the one standing right next to it ;)).

Box 38 is where your line goes, then it splits into the fibre box (funnily enough the one standing right next to it ;)).

lol. I thought so. So they are both 'box 38' then. Maybe when I move to the fibre service the ping will improve and speed will be close to what they promise. What do you reckon? Is it worth going for infinity 2 or not, given the information in my previous posts?

to be fair, a prediction of 5.5 and you actually get 4.6 is not all that far off

it depends how far you are from box 38 - I was on an intermittent 3mb because I was so far from the actual exchange, but my FTTC box was about 100 meters away so I got very close to the rated full speed quoted when I was with BT

if your current connection is rubbish purely because of how far you are from the main exchange, and your FTTC box is quite close then you will see a very good boost

if on the other hand you are close to the main exchange (e.g. 1-2km) but quite far from your FTTC box (up to 300m) then you won't see as good gains because I would hazard a guess that distance is not your current issue

I think the minimum that BT set is 20mb for infinity (or is it 25mb?) - much better than you currently get but disappointing if you've been promised 60+
check the terms and conditions before you sign up to see if there is a get out for you (or they promise to investigate) if you get a much lower score than the one predicted

Last edited:
After reading some of this thread, decided to go and see when I will be getting Infinity. Had a look and there is no roll out planned my way also no virgin media cables so stuck on 8mbps on a good day!

if on the other hand you are close to the main exchange (e.g. 1-2km) but quite far from your FTTC box (up to 300m) then you won't see as good gains because I would hazard a guess that distance is not your current issue

80/20 @ 300m is more than possible.

I can now get Infinity in my area. Oh I'm tempted.

Does anyone know what one can look forward too with the future of Infinity? I can't get Infinity2 or whatever its called, the 100Mb service, am I likely to see improvements in the near future (FTTH perhaps)?

Last edited:
Does anyone know what one can look forward too with the future of Infinity? I can't get Infinity2 or whatever its called, the 100Mb service, am I likely to see improvements in the near future (FTTH perhaps)?

FTTC max 80/20. Fibre on demand (FTTH) next year if you're willing to pay for it.

Back
Top Bottom