BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

to be fair, a prediction of 5.5 and you actually get 4.6 is not all that far off

it depends how far you are from box 38 - I was on an intermittent 3mb because I was so far from the actual exchange, but my FTTC box was about 100 meters away so I got very close to the rated full speed quoted when I was with BT

if your current connection is rubbish purely because of how far you are from the main exchange, and your FTTC box is quite close then you will see a very good boost

if on the other hand you are close to the main exchange (e.g. 1-2km) but quite far from your FTTC box (up to 300m) then you won't see as good gains because I would hazard a guess that distance is not your current issue

I think the minimum that BT set is 20mb for infinity (or is it 25mb?) - much better than you currently get but disappointing if you've been promised 60+
check the terms and conditions before you sign up to see if there is a get out for you (or they promise to investigate) if you get a much lower score than the one predicted

Actually I am quite close to both the exchange and the box. The box is sub 150m and the exchange no further than a mile. So would that mean that the predicted speeds could be possible?

Rroff and anyone else who is unhappily routed via Sheffield - I'm going to use the BT price increases to escape my contract without charge and move ISP. Will let you know how it goes and if it improves latency at all - probably Zen, potentially AAISP at this stage. I only use about 80GB a month and the few extra quid for a static IP and no bloody throttling is worth it to me.

Drizzy: Price increase, when?:confused:

I have already had my additional 18 month contract cancel, due to poor speed, just waiting to hear whether I can have my lift & shift finalised , then I'm moving to Sky.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Is anyone using the new BT HUB 3???? Can anyone give me a performance guide as I am currently using a Billion 7800N with High Gain antennas to increase range.

Cheers

Is anyone using the new BT HUB 3???? Can anyone give me a performance guide as I am currently using a Billion 7800N with High Gain antennas to increase range.

Cheers

Nope, Draytek 2750n, better wireless performance, it's even better with High Gain antennas, plus I have four gigabit ethernet ports, compared to one on the HH3.

Nope, Draytek 2750n, better wireless performance, it's even better with High Gain antennas, plus I have four gigabit ethernet ports, compared to one on the HH3.

Many thanks Nightglow for the feedback, I tried a 2750N in January of this year but I couldn't get it to work even after supplier changed the unit 3 times and Draytek support tried hence the 7800N, and with the 8dbi antennas its working well.

I asked this question as I am looking to change the current BT-Infinity package to the new 80/20 unlimited service and no doubt will get a HH3 supplied.

Cheers

Well pleased with my connection.

2150711101.png

Many thanks Nightglow for the feedback, I tried a 2750N in January of this year but I couldn't get it to work even after supplier changed the unit 3 times and Draytek support tried hence the 7800N, and with the 8dbi antennas its working well.

I asked this question as I am looking to change the current BT-Infinity package to the new 80/20 unlimited service and no doubt will get a HH3 supplied.

Cheers

My 2750n was bought new January this year, came with Firmware 1.5.1, connected it, & didn't need to enter any details,it just worked straight off.

Having one or two problems with it accepting WPA/WPA2 password.:mad:
Other than that, it's been rock solid, which considering the poor condition of my line is amazing.
Hopefully my lift & shift will be approved this week, & I then can have the cap removed on the U/L & D/L, & I will get the full potential out of my connection.

Back
Top Bottom