BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

That does not give me much confidence then, given that ADSL to my house simply doesn't work.

If your cable has aluminum conductors & in poor condition like mine, & it's a long way to cabinet, 750mtrs in my case, my line can't handle over 40/4Mb with out frequent dropouts, even though the BT checker quoted about 56/15Mb.

Last edited:
If your cable has aluminum conductors & in poor condition like mine, & it's a long way to cabinet, 750mtrs in my case, my line can't handle over 40/4Mb with out frequent dropouts, even though the BT checker quoted about 56/15Mb.

That's not good at all :eek:
For me there is significant risk in any potential move from Virgin to BT. The BT line in my house has probably not been active for over 20 years, it has been Telewest/Virgin all that time. When I have an excellent Virgin connection, no need to move.

My line was terrible to my house, then i joined bt infinity and all of a sudden my drop outs stopped completely. Infact i download prob 150 - 200 gig a day and ive not had a dropout since joining 5 months ago.

Infinity 2 (80/20) installed this morning, had to upgrade my Vigor 2750N to the 1.5.2beta firmware before it would bring the VDSL link up. Before that it just sat between Training - Handshaking - Idle on the VDSL status page.

Currently synced at 63556/20000 which is a huge step up over the 7500/900 ADSL2 link we had.

How much does the speed vary over the first 10 days? Can I expect speeds to vary/increase/settle?

Given my recent service from Virgin this has now become a distinct possibility. I realise this has probably been stated several times but the thread is soooo long, but I'm after some recommendations for an ISP, so:

My exchange has several providers so I don't necessarily need to go with BT. I ideally want a line that doesn't cap me for downloading during peak hours. I don't download much, but I want to be able to download a 10GB game on Steam for example without worrying about being throttled. I'd also rather not have a monthly limit, but thats not so important.

Again ideally a monthly rolling contract, and not have to take a telephone service along with it.

Finally, I must have a solution that will work with my own networking equipment. I don't know the particulars of Infinity but I'm assuming that you get a modem and hub as per other cable services, and that I can simply use the modem with my own router?

That's not good at all :eek:
For me there is significant risk in any potential move from Virgin to BT. The BT line in my house has probably not been active for over 20 years, it has been Telewest/Virgin all that time. When I have an excellent Virgin connection, no need to move.

I had a brand new line installed by BT, and ADSL still wouldn't work. Averaged ~256KBps and about 30 dropouts an hour(!!), had to threaten them with court in the end to get my contract cancelled.

Last edited:
Why don't ya wait to see if virgin network improvements do anything? Something happened on my 100mb connection last night according to this graph:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/bfcff7c808d814ae365450e178c742e3.html

Given my recent service from Virgin this has now become a distinct possibility. I realise this has probably been stated several times but the thread is soooo long, but I'm after some recommendations for an ISP, so:

My exchange has several providers so I don't necessarily need to go with BT. I ideally want a line that doesn't cap me for downloading during peak hours. I don't download much, but I want to be able to download a 10GB game on Steam for example without worrying about being throttled. I'd also rather not have a monthly limit, but thats not so important.

Again ideally a monthly rolling contract, and not have to take a telephone service along with it.

Finally, I must have a solution that will work with my own networking equipment. I don't know the particulars of Infinity but I'm assuming that you get a modem and hub as per other cable services, and that I can simply use the modem with my own router?

I had a brand new line installed by BT, and ADSL still wouldn't work. Averaged ~256KBps and about 30 dropouts an hour(!!), had to threaten them with court in the end to get my contract cancelled.

The speed shouldn't change. Have you compared the Openreach modem sync speed to the Draytek?

I haven't, in fact I didn't even bother unlocking the Huawei and went straight to the Draytek.

Would you recommend testing with the OR modem as well? Do the sync speeds tend to differ a lot?

Any ideas why my downstream attainable rate is only about 65Mbps? The attenuation is the same as upstream. Only about 100m away from the cabinet so I'd've thought we'd get nearer 80Mbps.

UPpVo.png

Ok guys I am installing my BT infinity 2 on the 18th of September. Got a few questions that have been troubling me upon reading most of the pages in here. Most people here seem to be using different routers than the one given by BT the BT Infinity Home Hub 3.0.

I am a gamer and I do not really care about download speeds much. What most important think for me is latency. By changing the router to something else will I be able to achieve lower latencies by tweaking?

Back
Top Bottom