BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Hi,

I have Infinity on the unlimited package. Getting about 35 down and 6 - 7 up.

My details on bt.com seem to indicate that I am on the fastest service possible already when I try and do the upgrade to the 80/20 product.

What are the limitations on the upgrade if any. I know due to an engineers visit to fix an issue we are 1007m from the cabinet as the wire travels. Not sure if this will affect anything.

Regards,

Simon

What are the limitations on the upgrade if any. I know due to an engineers visit to fix an issue we are 1007m from the cabinet as the wire travels.

You're not going to sync higher than the current speed at that distance from cab.

Hi all,

My sync speed has fallen to 55/20 from about 65/20 at the start. SNRs seem to be roughly the same.

55 MBit downstream seems relatively low for an SNR of about 7.0dB. Any ideas what's going on?

jSGrM.png

Last edited:
Finally?!

Dear Mr Webb,

I'm sorry that your previous correspondence what not answered, we do take care to respond to all e-mails.

Your cabinet, NDSHE 27 has had a few engineering difficulties in its build program. Theses have now been overcome and we are expecting to have the cab live to accept orders around the end of September, (subject to no more problems).
Around the last week in September, when you go to your preferred supplier, as soon as the cab is live, you will see the speed expected and be able to order.

Regards
Tony Franklin
Network Investment Customer Engagement
Email:-
[EMAIL="[email protected]|"][email protected][/EMAIL]|

Hopefully it finally happens this time! The cabinet was installed back in January this year... Its also about 50m from my house :) Good times ahead.

Really unhappy. My exchange was due to go live in June, but 2 weeks into June there were no cabs. End of June comes and it gets bumped to Dec and cabs start appearing.

This week 5 cabs started taking orders, but I'm still missing my cab. I contact the NGA guys and gTony Franklin responsed basically telling my that installing a cab is not commercially viable.

Yet less than a mile away they are taking orders in what is recognised as Sussexs "most deprived area".

Headrat, it's safe to say you are NOT on a EO line and it's just a matter of time before you get FTTC.

Not all cabs get enabled together when the exchange goes live, most go live when they are ready, some take longer than others for various reasons.

Yeah is seems highly likely that I'm connected to this CAB:-

p8.JPG

Obviously that isn't a Infinity CAB so I'll just have to wait ;)

This part of Chatteris is in a "Conservation Area" so that might be causing an issue, I've had a look at the "Fenland Planning" site and I can't even see any requests for changing this CAB.

Just go the following back from :[email protected]

I can confirm that you are connected to EM/CHATT 8.

However, this cab is currently in a state of deferral out of the program.

This is because we couldn’t find a suitable location to locate the DSLAM. As you will appreciate, Openreach is rolling out fibre broadband on a strictly commercial basis and we need to locate cabinets within specific areas at a finite cost. Details for cab positioning include ensuring that we locate the cabinets in accordance with all national and local planning laws, ensuring that the cabinet does not obstruct pedestrians or provide a danger to all road-users. We must ensure that the DSLAM is located within 100m of its associated telephony connection cabinet and that there is adequate access to power and existing telephony infrastructure. To further enable the location of the DSLAM, we must accurately survey for underground structure and obstacles etc.

In the case of your cabinet we tried several locations to place the DSLAM but they were either unsuitable or we were refused by the local council to place in the position required.

We have made a commitment to our customers, shareholders and the government to roll-out fibre broadband to 66% of the UK by November 2014. This is a complex and long term project and due to advances in technology which may reduce our costs, we may revisit some areas previously deemed to be uneconomic but this would be a commitment in the long term and not something that we can consider at this time. With regards to on-line checkers, they are accurate up to a point, however, Royal Mail postcodes do not accurately reflect telephony cabinet areas, therefore they can only be relied upon to give an ‘indication’ of the area that will be rolled out.

BUMMER :(

Hoping this might help:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19520294

HEADRAT

Last edited:
looking into getting BT infinity, not sure how long this has been available to my area but they say we can receive it. currently i am on a slow connection of around 2.5mb because i am quite far away from the exchange, the website says i can receive around 53mb download speed, how accurate is that number? seems a bit far fetched to me.:confused:

well, just had it installed today and very happy with the results below.:D

2175863194.png

Really unhappy. My exchange was due to go live in June, but 2 weeks into June there were no cabs. End of June comes and it gets bumped to Dec and cabs start appearing.

This week 5 cabs started taking orders, but I'm still missing my cab. I contact the NGA guys and gTony Franklin responsed basically telling my that installing a cab is not commercially viable.

Yet less than a mile away they are taking orders in what is recognised as Sussexs "most deprived area".

While that does come into it the cost of powering the cabinet also factors into it. Unless they've told you how much your cabinet is being quoted at this is an unknown variable and could well be the reason for your cabinet not being commercially viable.

Dear Mr Webb
I have recently received a reply form a colleague informing me that Sheerness cabinet 27 feeding your address has very recently been enabled and it should now be possible to place an order for fibre broadband. Please bear in mind that the process to load customers onto the available ports may take a short while to complete after the go live date.

Regards
Peter Wilde
N.I. Customer engagement
Email [EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL]

Following on from the previous email I recieved, was sent this earlier today! I have to say the people monitoring this email address are on the ball. Just ordered a shiny new Asus NU66 in anticipation :)

Bt checker predicts 80/20 as it should being ~50m away.

Took a stab in the dark and emailed this morning also

During our deployment we sometimes encounter problems with our roll out plan which can unfortunately result in a delay to our initial plans, delays vary from 3 months to 12 months depending on the scale of the problem. The sort of issues that we encounter are things like blocked underground cable routes, disputed land ownership and the existence of unrecorded underground lines for utility companies to name a few.
If our forecasted lead time improves this will be reflected on the micro site for your exchange and on the line checker of your chosen service provider, as things stand the target date is 17/10/2012
The micro site displays a list of all the exchanges included in the Fibre Broadband roll out plan which includes an indicative date for deployment.
Micro-Site can be viewed using the following link:
http://www.openreach-communications.co.uk/superfast/where-and-when/

seems to suggest the microsite should be giving us this information but as yet i cant see anything other that the exchange is enabled

Heres hoping to the 17th next month

Not sure on the official figures, but there are 220 residential properties, 10 small business unit and a very large business unit registered to the postcodes served by the PCP.

Apparently it was based on the cost of installing and maintaining the cab though which I dont get.

Time to get your councillor involved & apply some pressure.

Yes I would contact local council and also see if the business on the same cab have been offered FTTC or can get it. If Not would it benifit them to have it so you can get them in on the fight too.

It may be that the cost of running the fiber connection to the cab would be silly EG have to dig a new trench and fit new conduit to run the fiber link in who knows but the more people you can get on the case the better I think.

Back
Top Bottom