BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

**** YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ordering Infinity now, they magically pulled my date forward 3 months, makes a nice change, estimate at 71mb down 20mb up :cool:

We estimate your maximum download connection speed will be 71.1 Mbps
We estimate your maximum upload connection speed will be 20 Mbps*

Installation date of the 17th of April :D

Okay cheers guys, my new cab is on phase 8b whatever that means. Predicted speed is only 35 mbps but I'm not overly fussed to be honest, I'd rather a decent Plusnet connection over Virgin which may have congestion issues.

Old BT cabinet 8 is nearby someone house's wall is where I am connected to. Will BT replaced it as a new Huawei FTTC soon or stand no chance ? This area is no where nearby the street roadside where the Huawei FTTC is already installed (cabinet 6) by the street roadside.

Old BT Cabinet 8

New BT Huawei Cabinet 6

Old BT cabinet 8 is nearby someone house's wall is where I am connected to. Will BT replaced it as a new Huawei FTTC soon or stand no chance ? This area is no where nearby the street roadside where the Huawei FTTC is already installed (cabinet 6) by the street roadside.

They don't physically replace the existing PCP although they might re-shell it if it's getting on a bit. The FTTC twin can be up to 100m from the PCP.

Well had my Infinity 2 installed this morning. So far it appears to be getting me (from Speedtest) about 67Mb down and 9Mb up (the former being about 10Mb higher than expected and the latter about 7Mb lower) ... will have to see how it settles itself after the first 10days.

Chap seemed quite happy that I'd already drilled a hole through an internal wall so he could run a cable from the stupidly positioned master socket to where I wanted the modem. He did manage to screw up my phone extensions when doing the master socket wiring but I got him to sort them out again.

Well had my Infinity 2 installed this morning. So far it appears to be getting me (from Speedtest) about 67Mb down and 9Mb up (the former being about 10Mb higher than expected and the latter about 7Mb lower) ... will have to see how it settles itself after the first 10days.

Chap seemed quite happy that I'd already drilled a hole through an internal wall so he could run a cable from the stupidly positioned master socket to where I wanted the modem. He did manage to screw up my phone extensions when doing the master socket wiring but I got him to sort them out again.

reboot the router after the training ten days, i did mine after 3 days ... upload went from 9 to 17.
id read on another forums that the bt supplied modem needs a reboot to "fix" it.

Getting my Infinity 2 installed on Friday afternoon, the green box is about 500 Yards from me, been quoted 64 down & 20 up interested to see what happens.

Master socket is in the kitchen :( but already got an extension running upstairs to a RJ11socket under my desk which is what I use at present.

The home hub 3 arrived this morning, is it still a RJ11 connection to the openreach modem from the master socket I appreciate the modem is then connected to the hub via the red sat5 cable.

Cost wise the price of Infinty 2 is exactly the same as my adsl 2, 2 meg connection was each month £26 so it was a bit of a no brainer to switch.

It cant be any slower etc can it?

Cheers all

Well the Engineer did things to the master socket which included putting a whole new filter chunk in the middle. The cable to my modem is actually hardwired within the master socket to this and then the other end is cat5 connector not a rj11.

I've had Infinity for getting on for a year now and it's been rock solid, except for having to do the odd reboot of the HH3.
However for the last week it's been pretty horrific. The line has stayed up and looks normal but there seems to be no connectivity beyond the router. I can get a WAN IP address but I can't ping anything including the reported default gateway, DNS or any websites.
I thought it might be a DNS issue so I've changed to Google DNS but I'm still seeing issues.

I'm going to call BT tomorrow and report it but it seems strange that this coincides with some areas around my town going live with Infinity.

Well the Engineer did things to the master socket which included putting a whole new filter chunk in the middle. The cable to my modem is actually hardwired within the master socket to this and then the other end is cat5 connector not a rj11.

Thanks for the info will have to wait and see what the engineer does for me on Friday afternoon :)

Had Infinity for approx 1yr now & it's been fairly stable & good. The odd drop out, but nothing recent..... until....

Just checked my speeds (on speedtest.net) and my download is hovering about the 52mb mark, but my upload has stuck at 1.5-2mb when I was getting 14-15mb.

In the test it seems to be maxing out & not ramping up & down, just stick around the 2mb mark.

Going to see what happens over the next few days & I'm loathe to reboot everything as it'll start messing up the stability and dropping my download which is fine. Unfortunately I host the XSGamers TS server on my micro-server & could do with the increased upload speed back.

Anyone else had a stuck upload before?

edit: Something's wrong from these test results on BTW.

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
51.94 Mbps

0 Mbps 53.89 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 51.94 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 16 Mbps-53.89 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 53.89 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
1.99 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.99Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

2mb upload when my Upload Profile is set to 20mb???

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom