BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Update on previous post found here.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=24060937&postcount=9446

My connection further lowered itself to around 30Mbps download and 8Mbps upload. Powercycling didn't prove to alter the line profile/stability.

So on thursday I connected up the Bt Business hub (that I had aquired off one of the local engineers). Reset the modem at the same time as the first power up of the business hub and straight away line profile jumped to 43.67Mbps download of which I am still receiving although the upload speed has remained the same.

Looking on the business hub config page and I'm greeted with a lot more settings available. The connection over the last 3 and a bit days has only once reset which was within 12 hours of first connecting it.

So all is well at the moment and hopefully it remains that way.

Got BT Infinity installed on the 17th April, I was estimated 72mb and when the engineer installed the modem and set it up that's what I was getting with a 75mb profile.

I was getting 72mb with a 75mb profile on day 2 aswell.

Strange speed fluctuations on day 3 but the profile stayed at 75.

this has been happening until day 5 when my speed seemed to settle at 55mb with a 75mb profile..

Now today (day 6) and I was sad to see my connection dropped out and reconnected at around 4am this morning. My profile is now 55mb...

Will this raise back to 72mb as this is what I had initially and what I was predicted?

I know 55mb is still quick but I'm paying for what I was predicted.. A loss of around 20% is a big deal to me. Of course, if they said I could pay 20% less per month I wouldn't be bothered, but I want the best I can get for my money, this service isn't cheap.

BT reckon it takes 7 days for the profile to update - sound like a load of rubbish to you guys? (Still getting same speeds of 13Mbps.)

13? Man.. That sucks, I thought I had problems.. What the hell are they playing at? If mine goes down to that Ofcom will be defintely getting an email from me! If mine goes under 38 I'll ask BT when they plan on lowering my tariff to the lower speed....

This is very bad. :(

Lazy engineers/contractors.

Lol BT.

I assume when they come round you can just ask the not to touch your wiring and just plug the modem in KTHXBYE? I've already got a filtered NTE5, with separate voice and data extensions wiring running off of it (using cat5) and wouldn't want them touching a thing!

Like all things I guess it's down to the person who shows up. The lass that installed mine was pretty good - though I had no master socket already and an external NTE, but she bypassed the faceplate in the hall allowing the master socket to be installed in my office and then pre-filtering all the internal wiring.

I know 55mb is still quick but I'm paying for what I was predicted.. A loss of around 20% is a big deal to me. Of course, if they said I could pay 20% less per month I wouldn't be bothered, but I want the best I can get for my money, this service isn't cheap.

You pay for up to. I pay the same as you and get a lower speed. Welcome to the world of DSL.

Had two guys from kelly communication and was in and out in no time at all. helped I still had original hardware adsl install back when you could only get 0.5mb and had to have a engineer installation. So they didnt have to change anything, just did work at cabinet and then plugged in bt modem. Job done and very happy :)

You pay for up to. I pay the same as you and get a lower speed. Welcome to the world of DSL.

Dont get me wrong, I completely understand that and the play on wording all these ISPs have in their adverts. However, for 3 days I was on a profile of over 75mbs, with no problems or drop outs. I have had only one drop out at all which cut me 20mbs of IP profile.. It has lowered for no reason, if there was an issue I'd be fine with it. About 20mbs is a LOT of speed to lose when paying the same amount regardless. I am interested in fully investigating why exactly they have done this and all justification behind the decision.

Just after posting the above, I thought I would check the BT website to see if the availability checker said anything different and it appears its been updated. It now says Fibre optic broadband is estimated to be in your area between October 2013 and March 2014.

Good old accurate BT checker. Put my phone number in again today and Infinity is available. I'm glad I can finally get it, but its like living in quantum leap the way the dates change.

Had two guys from kelly communication and was in and out in no time at all. helped I still had original hardware adsl install back when you could only get 0.5mb and had to have a engineer installation. So they didnt have to change anything, just did work at cabinet and then plugged in bt modem. Job done and very happy :)

Interested to hear more about this. Although I've long since moved out, when I lived with my dad I had one of the oldschool engineer adsl installs which ran a socket into my old bedroom. Does that mean it is suitable for FTTC? His exchange has recently been enabled, and I know this sounds stupid to most people, but one of his concerns about switching to fibre is how much upheaval having an engineer round to do work would cause (if they can just plug it in where the current adsl extension resides, that would be ideal)

Back
Top Bottom