BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

OpenReach Superfast website just says "Future Exchange end of 2013" and BT WholeSale checker and BT Retail websites don't mention it coming at all.
I saw some OpenReach technicians fiddling around with the manhole covers near my cabinet last week... and looking on roadworks.org today it says:
Works Start: 03 May
End: 17 May
Medium impact, delays possible
Description : Install 3m of 1 way poly duct in Footway,Provide 1 Provide/Recover 1 NGA Cab and base (1.5m x 0.5m)
Current status: Advanced planning
Traffic lights, etc: None/signing only

:D :D :D
Guess what I saw today...

Combe_Down.jpg

:D :D :D

I should be getting BT Infinity on the 21st May.

Estimated 23MB to my address with 5MB upload, Fibre to box, copper to house. 1mile from exchange.

Anything will be an imporvement of 1.60/1.90MB with 0.16/0.30 Upload.

Anyway to speed them up!?

Do you know where your cabinet is? With FTTC, the fibre part is much less of a worry. What's most important is the distance from your house to the box in the street, since this is where the new DSLAM is - the distance to the exchange is irrelevant now. :)

Mr Open Reach has come to my house today and installed the face plate and routers.

Before...

2682676956.png

After...

2685281113.png

:D To say I'm happy is a understatement. Those figures were 5 minutes after he installed it. I've noticed that the upload speed seems to be getting quicker now. Its up to 16mb.

I've got the Home hub 3, is there any where to see the connection rate download/upload at all? I've looked through the settings - or is it the other hub?

To get those stats requires access to the VDSL modem not the home hub and requires either unlocking the BT modem or replacing with your own. Sucks.

Hey guys, is anyone experiencing problems with their BT Infinity connection as of late? I've got both Infinity at home and at University and over the past couple of days, it's been dropping in speed and in latency and it's becoming quite tedious, luckily I only have to put up with it for the next week or so as that's when I'm going back home.

I'm currently located in Ormskirk, Lancashire.

Here at my Uni flat, we're paying for 60/20, on wireless we normally get 40-50/16, but lately? I've been getting 20/14-16. It's a little aggrvating at times, especially when there is a lot of us online and when I want to download or game and I'm getting latency spikes and what not.

How many people are online? It could be that someone is hammering the connection lately. It wouldn't take a lot to increase pings by doing some torrenting, in fact I'm surprised you'd attempt to game without knowing the connection is relatively dead.

Secondly, although you pay for 60/20, have you checked the sync stats lately? It could be that your attainable sync speed has reduced because of DLM, so the fact it's slower only means those sharing get a smaller piece of bandwidth, therefore exacerbating the problem mentioned above.

How many people are online? It could be that someone is hammering the connection lately. It wouldn't take a lot to increase pings by doing some torrenting, in fact I'm surprised you'd attempt to game without knowing the connection is relatively dead.

Secondly, although you pay for 60/20, have you checked the sync stats lately? It could be that your attainable sync speed has reduced because of DLM, so the fact it's slower only means those sharing get a smaller piece of bandwidth, therefore exacerbating the problem mentioned above.

I did a few checks early this morning around 1-2am, I checked and there was only me and one other user online and as far as I know that user is just a light user, facebook, youtube and stuff like that.

I was running into some problems last week where my Laptop (University rented laptop) was getting 50mb speeds whereas I was only getting 20/30mb, so I thought that was rather suspicious.

And I do not know how to check sync stats I'm afraid.

Tested this morning, after Having it for a few days.

2686852297.png

this was quoted:
69.7Mb*
Download speed

20Mb*
Upload speed

Only problem I have is that all ports seem to be closed (even with port forwarding, it does nothing), which means I'm unable to use VNC if anyone wants to help me would be appreciated, probably make a post to get more help when I eventually need to start using it again.

Either that or dump the HH3 and fork out for a new router...

Last edited:
Last edited:
I did a few checks early this morning around 1-2am, I checked and there was only me and one other user online and as far as I know that user is just a light user, facebook, youtube and stuff like that.

I was running into some problems last week where my Laptop (University rented laptop) was getting 50mb speeds whereas I was only getting 20/30mb, so I thought that was rather suspicious.

And I do not know how to check sync stats I'm afraid.

dropped about 20mb d/l at the moment. I'm in Sale tho. I was getting 65 to 75, currently struggling to get 41.

Here at my Uni flat, we're paying for 60/20, on wireless we normally get 40-50/16, but lately? I've been getting 20/14-16. It's a little aggrvating at times, especially when there is a lot of us online and when I want to download or game and I'm getting latency spikes and what not.

When you test your speed do it via the Ethernet cable. Wireless bandwidth is shared between all of you connected to it. It's not a good way to determine if the speed is slowing or not.

Back
Top Bottom