BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

I'm just planning ahead at the moment. Fibre installation work is due to start in my town this week. There's nothing indicated on roadworks.org for my cabinet, but there is one further down the road to clear blockages in the duct leading to the cabinet. So it looks like it will be upgraded at some point.

Anyhoo, I know the VDSL modem has to connect to the master socket, but I'd prefer to have my router where it already is (upstairs). This would mean running an ethernet cable between the modem and router as I've been told powerline adaptors wouldn't perform as well. The problem is that it would mean running an ethernet cable on the exterior of the house. Any idea where I can pick up about 20-30m of suitable cable? Connectors and crimping tools should be easy enough to get hold of. I've never crimped ethernet cable but I've looked at a video and it looks a doddle.

Do you know where your cabinet is? With FTTC, the fibre part is much less of a worry. What's most important is the distance from your house to the box in the street, since this is where the new DSLAM is - the distance to the exchange is irrelevant now. :)

Maybe 200 Yards or so, give or take.

Waiting for a Mac code from my previous internet provider, as we got out of the contract early after having poor service and then no service at all and 2/3 months of waiting and mix ups and tech's not being able to fix the problem we got out of the contract early which took 3/4 hours.

Was in a contract due to be getting 3 months free, which we never got but was still in the contract!!

But hopefully 21 May we will have it, BT are giving us normal internet from the 8th then hoping to upgrade us by then.

Mr Open Reach has come to my house today and installed the face plate and routers.

Before...

2682676956.png

After...

2685281113.png

:D To say I'm happy is a understatement. Those figures were 5 minutes after he installed it. I've noticed that the upload speed seems to be getting quicker now. Its up to 16mb.

I've got the Home hub 3, is there any where to see the connection rate download/upload at all? I've looked through the settings - or is it the other hub?

A few days in and appears to be getting quicker...

2692737579.png

BT Estimated I would get 58/20mb. Seems to be rock solid so far. I was a little worried I would affect speeds by taking all of the kit out and re routing all of the wires, but didn't seem to affect it.

For £35 or a new contract.

My connection has been good tbh but I'll not enter another contract just for a Router and I'd spend £35 on a different brand if I needed too as well.

Should be a free upgrade for all customers tbh.

No problems.

Not far at all, we live on a very new estate which was built in 2008 so all of the wiring up to our cab is decent. Our house is not far at all from our cab, about a 2-3 minute walk at most. We were just far from the exchange which was the problem with ADSL.

As I said in my previous post, our council funded ours and many others round our town as they were given a grant. Work started in early Jan/Feb and was able to place my order end of March. Good luck mate :)

Last edited:
thanks for the info
unfortunately my cabinet is in the next village 2 miles away,with poor cable running under over inside hedges and has more patches than a tramps trousers
But any increase in speed would be welcome

I've noticed an oddity on the BT ADSL availability tool.

I live in a block of 13 flats, built in 2005. If I input the address with my flat letter into the availability site it doesn't mention FTTC at all. I have to use my address as my phone line is provisioned by Sky and thus doesn't show up.

If I input the address with the letter of the flat next door however, it tells me FTTC is due before March 2014 and gives prospective speeds. Similarly, most of the other flats in the block apart from mine and maybe a couple of others.

Any ideas as to what is occurring and who, if anyone, I should report it to?

For £35 or a new contract.

My connection has been good tbh but I'll not enter another contract just for a Router and I'd spend £35 on a different brand if I needed too as well.

Should be a free upgrade for all customers tbh.

I'd just save it and buy the ASUS N66 router I suppose.

All done!

Was quite cool watching the fibre being fused together on the machine they have.

My result

2696984607.png

I'm using Homeplugs so not the best, need to get the laptop and plug directly in to see what speed I actually get.

Ethernet plugged in
==============
2697297588.png

136811893120638881446-mini.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom